• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Heated full face visor power Q...

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Ok, so I normally run a full face helmet, I wear glasses, I can get my glasses not to fog, but my visor does...

Now I can get a heated visor for about $100 ish... but I have to wire it to the sled.. which is an issue, because I don't always ride the same sled, and sometimes switch mid-ride.

Being I mainly ride with my wife, and her being a novice(only has riden twice) I don't want to be tied to my sled in any way...

Does anybody know how much juice these thing pull? How practical would a custom made battery belt be? prolly use rechargables, prolly NiCad, not litium Ion or Nickel Metal Hydrate just due to cost.

Or would switching to googles with a percription insert be better?

Thanks

M
Nov 26, 2007
Okotoks
I used to wear a full face with heated visor. I bought a 12v rechargeable battery on Ebay and it worked great. Kept it in my backpack so there were no wires dangling. I think it has to be 12v to provide enough juice to the visor when it's cold. There are a lot of lithium 12v batteries on Ebay but I used one similar to this - http://cgi.ebay.ca/Rechargeable-Sea...ryZ36323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I would hook it up to the small charger for my motorcycle.

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
My idea, was maybe a couple banks of 8 D cell batteries.. so 8 in series to make 12V, then maybe 2 or 3 banks or make it last longer Plus 8 D cells are easier to shove in a pocket, or make belt from than one larger UPS type battery. I mainly trail ride, so I don't have a back pack... I normally stay within 3hr walking distance of my car or home, just carry a cell for worst case situations.... but I could get a small pack...

Just thinking of which would be the better solution... both will cost about the same.. by the time I get the battery and visor and pack.. or the googles..

The difference would be the googles I'd have to wait for, the visor... and such I could pick up on the weekend... but I don't want to waste money on one solution when another for the same price is better.

Thanks for the idea though...

***EDIT*** just looked that battery you posted is only a couple lbs.. and like 6" long,. by 3" by 3" I was expecting bigger and heavier... that thing would almost fit in a pocket of my parka... or a leg pocket of my bib... How long did your visor last on battery? and how warm did it get? just warm enough to keep the visor fog free, or a little warmer than that?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2007
walla walla
heated visor

I too wear glasses and ran a heated visor for several seasons. I would wire both your sleds for the visor, a battery will let you down and then you are hosed. Other thing about the heated visor is if you are riding while it is snowing, the snow hits the warm visor and melts, then you need to continually wipe it off. Put a switch on the sled when you wire it up so that you can turn the heat on and off as necessary. The only time it really excelled is when you get caught in a freezing rain/sleet storm. I rode the last two seasons with the smith goggles with a fan in them- same cost as a heated visor. They worked better than the heated visor 99% of the time. The best thing is to get disposable contacts. Carry a couple of extra sets and a small mirror in case.

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
heh contacts... if I could stand touching my eyes... sure.. my wife just got a bunch of disposables for sledding... but me.. hmmm

Premium Features