• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bulkhead cooler. Final verdict.

A
Nov 26, 2007
eugene, oregon
Do any of the Axys 800's have a bulkhead cooler other than the SKS? I have read and heard differing answers from threads and DEALERS. One dealer states the basic 800 Pros and Assaults have them. I'm am confident the Snowest braintrust can put this issue away for good.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Polaris should install bulkhead coolers on all the sleds and eliminate the tunnel coolers. Keep the tunnel cold so it does not melt snow making ice and the wet mess. The track will clear ice from bulkhead if it builds. How much cooling can you actually get from the tunnel anyway? Obviously not enough...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Can you add a bulkhead cooler to a RMK ?

Yes but it requires completely disassembling your sled, tunnel, bulkhead and separating out the tunnel closeoff. To replace it with the cooler that looks identical from the track side. (Almost the Last nut and bolt taken out of the chassis)

Also buying the lords adhesive, applicator sks cooling hoses, clamps and such.

MTNTK is a much better option.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Polaris should install bulkhead coolers on all the sleds and eliminate the tunnel coolers. Keep the tunnel cold so it does not melt snow making ice and the wet mess. The track will clear ice from bulkhead if it builds. How much cooling can you actually get from the tunnel anyway? Obviously not enough...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely don't want it. I have ski-pulled Cats that dump melted snow off their bulkhead coolers and build a frozen block in front of the track and make them even harder to move. The new sleds run way cooler and if the engine is getting warm, so is your hyfax.

Arcticmatt

Premium Member
Dec 20, 2017
That is why I bought my SKS 155. I am not an extreme rider so I can live with a few extra pounds and have adequate cooling. I did not even get scratchers for my SKS and it has not seen anything high with regards to engine temps.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
That is why I bought my SKS 155. I am not an extreme rider so I can live with a few extra pounds and have adequate cooling. I did not even get scratchers for my SKS and it has not seen anything high with regards to engine temps.

I wonder what would happen if you bypass the tunnel coolers and just run the bulkhead cooler..

All your stuff in underseat bag and pant legs would stay dry. I know that!

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
I definitely don't want it. I have ski-pulled Cats that dump melted snow off their bulkhead coolers and build a frozen block in front of the track and make them even harder to move. The new sleds run way cooler and if the engine is getting warm, so is your hyfax.

Better than frozen pant legs and wet then frozen tunnel..

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I'd take Cat's cooling design over Polaris' any day. Not having iced up running boards and pant legs, as well as no wet tunnel bags at the end of the day, would be wonderful. Tunnel coolers are dumb.

In regards to a previous post about not running scratchers: they are 50% engine cooling and 50% track/hyfax cooling. It's not good for your track to not run scratchers on the trail in low snow conditions.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I'd take Cat's cooling design over Polaris' any day. Not having iced up running boards and pant legs, as well as no wet tunnel bags at the end of the day, would be wonderful. Tunnel coolers are dumb.

In regards to a previous post about not running scratchers: they are 50% engine cooling and 50% track/hyfax cooling. It's not good for your track to not run scratchers on the trail in low snow conditions.

Seriously? I rode a 2019 Alpha from the alpine to the parking lot last year and I could not keep that overheat light off. My Polaris 174 was happy all the way down and I don't have a snow flap.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I have a buddy that I ride with a lot and he has a 2018 Mtn Cat. His sled only gets hot when my Pro gets hot. He doesn't have a flap and running a 3" track. So, my observation has been that the Cat runs a bit cooler. So, who knows?....

If I ever start getting hot, I just do the ol' "tip and cut in" trick, or whatever anyone wants to call it. Works very well.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I have a buddy that I ride with a lot and he has a 2018 Mtn Cat. His sled only gets hot when my Pro gets hot. He doesn't have a flap and running a 3" track. So, my observation has been that the Cat runs a bit cooler. So, who knows?....

If I ever start getting hot, I just do the ol' "tip and cut in" trick, or whatever anyone wants to call it. Works very well.

We rode 5 kms following a mom moose and her calf down, that would not get off the trail. We had to ride slow as we did not want push them too fast. I think the Alpha did not like that speed.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
We rode 5 kms following a mom moose and her calf down, that would not get off the trail. We had to ride slow as we did not want push them too fast. I think the Alpha did not like that speed.

Lol! If I got a dollar for every time a moose or elk was camped out in my path...yeah, they love the trails. What's worse, is when you're rippin' through the trees in the back country and out pops a moose. I've had to check my shorts a few times with those incidents...

Premium Features