• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Quick Drive belt

S
Sep 25, 2008
I searched some and didn't come up with anything. I'm looking for any aftermarket belts people have found. Has anyone experimented with longer belts and a deflection device? IF so where did you find the belts?

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
They dont make any aftermarket belts that work with the OEM sprockets. Polaris made a one off pitch for the quick drive belt. Your stuck buying the OEM belt or switching over to one of the kits on the market. Eric

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
They dont make any aftermarket belts that work with the OEM sprockets. Polaris made a one off pitch for the quick drive belt. Your stuck buying the OEM belt or switching over to one of the kits on the market. Eric

Simply shows that they (Polaris) values the profit they can make on replacement belts over the convenience for their customers.

#hostagecustomer

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Some interesting info on tooth pitch.

Actualy...the 11mm pitch has been around for quite some time, long before Polaris chose to use it on the ProRmk's

11mm tooth-pitch belts have a higher resistance to tooth shear than 8mm belts... Which is the reason that top-fuel dragsters use 11mm pitch blower belts.

The snowmobile/snowbike aftermarket uses the 8mm belts because they are the most 'generic' and the only ones you don't have to make a special production run of belts with ... AND...the aftermarket uses tensioners which give more 'belt wrap' on the top pulley... which helps to distribute the load over an additional tooth or two which compensates for the lower tooth shear rating of the 8mm belts.

Polaris has been working with the belt manufacturer since 2012 to keep improving the durability of the QD belts, and the proof is in the pudding that they have been effective in this pursuit, we really haven't been hearing of wide spread QD belt failures for some time now...on THIS forum where the smallest issues do get magnified..... trust me, my criticism of this has been far and wide on this forum in the past, so it is not getting 'glazed over'

AK IQ...

Your comment on roots blower belts had me looking a bit.. and found this interesting info on 11mm pitch belts

WOW... 800 hp just to Drive the Blower on a Top fuel car!

From here CLICK

NHRA supercharger drives are notoriously hard for belts to survive on. The application is extremely demanding, and requires a unique belt to perform as needed. The two top classes that use superchargers are Top Fuel and Funny Car. In a typical 1000 foot race, a Top Fuel car will have elapsed times in the 3.8 to 3.9 second range.

HP requirements to drive the supercharger are typically quoted in the 800 HP to 1000 HP range. This is with the driving crankshaft being around 8000 - 9000 RPM.

If it was just a question of handling 800 to 1000 HP [for just the blower load alone], the drive (while large), wouldn't be that difficult to design to work properly. However, the system has a lot of unique load situations that really stress the belt. The torque fluctuations from the engine resemble barely controlled explosions. The speeds are high. The heavy loads make it likely that shafts will flex and belts will track to the outside flange edge. During tire spin conditions, drivers have to "pedal" the car. This is a method of getting off and back on the throttle very rapidly in an attempt to get the tires hooked up and stop the tire spin. When this happens, the driving RPM drops nearly instantly from 8000+ RPM to a couple of thousand RPM. The inertia of the supercharger takes over at that point and it tries to become the driving shaft. This creates havoc in the belt, as the tight and slack side spans in the system are reversed, creating high shock and compressive loads in the tensile cord. Add in the virtually instantaneous load application when the cars leave the starting line, and you have a very difficult, very damaging application.

An 11mm pitch Poly Chain GT belt was specifically designed for this application. The 11mm pitch gives more speed ratio flexibility than the previous 14mm pitch belts, and 11mm belts have more strength and ratchet resistance than 8mm pitch belts. A specially designed tensile cord is also used to handle the loading situations described above.

Last edited:

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
Actualy...the 11mm pitch has been around for quite some time, long before Polaris chose to use it on the ProRmk's

11mm tooth-pitch belts have a higher resistance to tooth shear than 8mm belts... Which is the reason that top-fuel dragsters use 11mm pitch blower belts.

The snowmobile/snowbike aftermarket uses the 8mm belts because they are the most 'generic' and the only ones you don't have to make a special production run of belts with ... AND...the aftermarket uses tensioners which give more 'belt wrap' on the top pulley... which helps to distribute the load over an additional tooth or two which compensates for the lower tooth shear rating of the 8mm belts.

Polaris has been working with the belt manufacturer since 2012 to keep improving the durability of the QD belts, and the proof is in the pudding that they have been effective in this pursuit, we really haven't been hearing of wide spread QD belt failures for some time now...on THIS forum where the smallest issues do get magnified..... trust me, my criticism of this has been far and wide on this forum in the past, so it is not getting 'glazed over'

Agreed. 1500 on my stock 14 belt and it still looks great.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I got 2400 miles and two jackshaft replacements on my ORIGINAL QD belt before I decided to try the TKI.

Premium Features