• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

pDrive CLUTCH... DISCUSSION... TUNING, CLICKERS, FLYWEIGHTS... PHOTOS AND VIDEOS.

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
I've run both Thundershifters and HeelClickers against flyweight and TRA ramps. The Thundershifters & Heelclickers produced awesome hole shots but once in the midrange & top end no performance gains were achieved.

DPG

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'd be surprised if the clickers on this new clutch changes engagement rpm (if it does at all) as much as it changes peak rpm. So let's say you change peak rpm 300 rpm with the clicker, I would think that the engagement rpm would only change 100-150 rpm.

I just don't see how it could change the engagement rpm. The arms still take the same rpm to push the rollers and overcome the spring. If the spring start rate stays the same, how could that change engagement rpm? If the clickers change clutch engagement rpm then adding or taking off weight would also?? I'm not sure but just trying to understand how this thing works.

Edit: I got looking at this a little more. I may sound a little nuts here but I wonder if changing rpm with the clickers will have the opposite effect on engagement rpm. So making peak rpm higher would lower engagement rpm. ??

rilonjj,

It's taking me time to wrap my noodle around this clutch too.

I WAS thinking the same thing... until I did a couple of napkin drawings over breakfast today.

If the flyweight lays flatter (clicker 1) then centrifugal force is more pushing outward directly from the weight to the pivot pin... if the flyweight is tilted up more (clicker 5) then the centrifugal force is acting more to pivot the weight in its arc... once the flyweight contacts the roller... it will have more force pushing against that roller which will lower the engagement RPM.

An analogy... a kids merry-go-round (mgr) on the playground... if you were to lay flat on the floor of the mgr with your feet apart and planted against the poles, and spin it up... the pressure would be against your feet, perpendicular to the axle of the mgr. Now... if you were to lift your head, your head would want to tilt up and not push against your feet so much.

It will also have more force pushing against that roller as the flyweight swings out... and "load the motor more at a lower RPM.

Of note... this is not a feature that any other clutch enjoys.

In order to allow a consumer the ability to actually use the clicker... and not have to pry open the sheaves of the primary... clicker 1-5 would still not have the flyweight in contact with the roller with the engine off. ... The clicker only changes the inclination of flyweight... from rest through the maximum inclination of that flyweight at full clutch clutch-closing (when it reaches the stops).

I look at the clickers in what might be a funny way... the clicker acts to tilt the flyweight into or away from the 'stream' of centrifugal force.

Are the pDrive flyweights a true 'arc' or a progressive or regressive curve...or are those options going to be available.

Does anyone know of info on the web for pDrive flyweights that were used to tune last years 600-RS sleds equipped with the pDrive clutch??

Last edited:

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
That seems to be on target from what little I know about the new Pdrive. Very well thought out.

On any of my Polaris sleds in the past, if I wanted to get my RPM back at elevation I had to pry open the clutch to change the weights.

This new one if a person wanted to change to a different cam profile it looks like it would come out pretty easy.

Really pretty excited to try it out.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Another thought......will changing clickers change the shift characteristics like it does on the tra?

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Another thought......will changing clickers change the shift characteristics like it does on the tra?

That would depend on the shape of the curve of the flyweight.... like I said above... a true 'arc' or a progressive or regressive curve

It would depend where on the curve the roller rests for a given sheave position.

Clutching is the definition of a complex simultaneous equation. :juggle:

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Tuning this clutch won't be as big of a mystery as you guys are making it. The race team has been running them for 2 years now... just an FYI!

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
rilonjj,

It's taking me time to wrap my noodle around this clutch too.

Does anyone know of info on the web for pDrive flyweights that were used to tune last years 600-RS sleds equipped with the pDrive clutch??

I've tried to get parts from the race department both sides of the border this season - I couldnt even get a broken...anything.
They are low on supplies and can't even keep up with the racers ordering them parts.

once the sleds are parked and atv season upon us, im hoping to get my hands on a primary clutch.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I've tried to get parts from the race department both sides of the border this season - I couldnt even get a broken...anything.
They are low on supplies and can't even keep up with the racers ordering them parts.

once the sleds are parked and atv season upon us, im hoping to get my hands on a primary clutch.

So Joe, What do you think of the concept for the clutch? I am thinking of getting a new sled and if I do I want DJ clutching no questions asked.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Tuning this clutch won't be as big of a mystery as you guys are making it. The race team has been running them for 2 years now... just an FYI!

Yep

Getting a good view of the parts... and piecing it together... it is very easy to understand... especially coming from a P85 background.

The 600 RS pDrive clutch didn't have clickers on it...or clicker pins to add weights to.

The clickers on this clutch seem like a whole new thing... and only loosely related to the ramp/arm system from before.
The clickers have a few things in common with the TRA... but not a direct correlation.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY

That's true, but have they been running the clutch with clickers or not? That's the main thing I'm trying to understand. The rest of the clutch looks simple enough.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Clickers in one post.

I've started the video at the part with the clutch motion and the clicker operation

Basically... moving the clicker tilts the flyweight up from it's starting position more.

This will increase the centrifugal force on the flyweight sooner... that will lower engagement speed and lower max speed.

Adding weight to the clicker clamp pin will add weight to the heel... and affect loading the engine lower down in the RPM range.

There will be a learning curve for all used to the TRA design.

<iframe width="900" height="506" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7-kf9KxiR54?start=267" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

picture.php

picture.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Looks like it will be a easy to tune setup.
Depending on what the aftermarket does for flyweight profiles (if it will even prove necessary to change??), it may be cheaper and just as effective to tweak clutching to your liking with secondary changes...helix and/or spring to make the system do what you want.
I have always liked the QRS. The issue with floating to keep proper alignment should no longer be an issue as the new primary has straight sheaves rather than the progressive (12-14*) sheave angle of the TRA that did not allow for proper alignment throughout the shift without the secondary moving.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
So Joe, What do you think of the concept for the clutch? I am thinking of getting a new sled and if I do I want DJ clutching no questions asked.

Howdy, for me the clutch stirs up happy emotions that caused me to not fall asleep right away for a few nights. Not falling asleep because of thinking about profile curves and...testing.

I hope BRP has a bigger variety of primary clutch springs than the 4 they have right now.
170/300
170/350
170/400
200/380 (600rs)

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Howdy, for me the clutch stirs up happy emotions that caused me to not fall asleep right away for a few nights. Not falling asleep because of thinking about profile curves and...testing.

I hope BRP has a bigger variety of primary clutch springs than the 4 they have right now.
170/300
170/350
170/400
200/380 (600rs)

Any idea if they sized their springs so they will interchange with Poo and Cat springs?
I know... I'm probably being way too optimistic even thinking of that possibility.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Any idea if they sized their springs so they will interchange with Poo and Cat springs?
I know... I'm probably being way too optimistic even thinking of that possibility.

Buddy...from what i seen was the primary clutch spring is almost as big of diameter as the secondary spring. I've not had one in my hands to measure the diameter but man that would be "tres kewl" if cat/poo/yammy fit the dooey. I suspect the mindset of Dooey there is not a chinese chance other brand (oem) springs will fit the dooey

Last edited:
Premium Features