• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil Tank Capacity

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
about 3 qts. The hose in the middle goes to the center chamber of the engine where the water pump and oil pump shaft is. No oil is burned by this area so the hose just keeps it full. Even if the oil is below that hose the level won't drop in that area unless you have a leak of flip the sled upside down.

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Still confused

:face-icon-small-con

So is the hose in the middle a return hose from the pump ?

That makes no sense.

If it doesn't go to the bottom of the tank, why such a deep tank ?

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
No, it is not a return hose. It has nothing to do with your oil injection. It goes between cylinders to center of engine. Oil injection pump hose is on the bottom of the tank.

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Hidden Hose

There is another hose at the bottom of the tank that feeds the oil pump.

Still confused about the Hose halfway up.

Is it a return hose ?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
The upper hose goes between the cylinders and lubricates the oil/water pump shaft in an oil-bath system such as with any 4-stroke motor. The oil injection is fed by a hose coming off the very bottom of the oil tank and is routed around the PTO side of the motor behind the clutch .

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Gravity feed ?

So if the Hose half way up has no oil covering it then the water pump shaft goes dry ?

Is this gravity feed, if so how long can you run it with the tank below that hose before you have Issues ?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
So if the Hose half way up has no oil covering it then the water pump shaft goes dry ?

Is this gravity feed, if so how long can you run it with the tank below that hose before you have Issues ?

The shaft cavity has seals on all access points most notably on the crankshaft. If your seals on your crank start to go bad, you will notice the oil level in the tank will fall rapidly until it reaches the upper intake hose where the level will stabilize. Yes, the cavity is gravity fed. As long as you do not see this happening that means that your seals are in good shape and you have no reason to worry about it going dry in a hurry.

As common practice, I always fill my oil tank to the top before every ride and often have a look at it after the end of the day just to see how much I used... I try to make it a habit to look over things like this so I don't have any surprises.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007

As stated above if your seals are good there you can ride with the level below that hose forever or untill you park your sled upside down for a while.

I
Nov 27, 2016
2007 Polaris 600 HO rmk

Does anyone keep track of how many miles you can go before your low oil light comes on? I'm trying to figure out a long ride and need to know if I need to bring extra oil

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Does anyone keep track of how many miles you can go before your low oil light comes on? I'm trying to figure out a long ride and need to know if I need to bring extra oil

Why even tempt it? Had a buddy burn his sled down because his Low oil light was burnt out. Top it off before every ride and bring extra with you... I bought a quart cradle and it fits a polaris quart container just perfect. I just use the bottle and keep refilling it with interceptor.

Premium Features