• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can anybody compare their sleds to my video? Is it normal?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Hey guys, my last ride I heard for a bit a metallic hollow kinda noise at idle, not sure really what it could be, the sled has 900 km on it. However I noticed when moving my clutch back and forth a clunking noise. I have a same year pro, (2012) that, I recently rebuilt, only difference is my sled doesn't have a fix kit in it. The other one has new pistons with fix kit and crank shaft, which is the sled in the last bit of the video, the noise is very little to not there.

Could it be.... Rod bearings? Normal? Something on the stator side? Can any of you quickly compare your pro's to mine? Thanks!

<iframe width="750" height="422" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/O4eGln3Vkbs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/O4eGln3Vkbs

Last edited by a moderator:

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
Sounds like the noise comes from clutch buttons and tower clearance. Is it there when you turn the inner sheave and keep pressure on the outer sheave to prevent the buttons from rattling on the towers?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Sounds like the noise comes from clutch buttons and tower clearance. Is it there when you turn the inner sheave and keep pressure on the outer sheave to prevent the buttons from rattling on the towers?

I was thinking that but I put my fingers on that and the rollers, made no difference, either the sound is traveling or what but it kinda sounds like it's coming from in the engine. I could. Be wrong, maybe taking the cap/spring out of the primary and moving the sheave around may help to check that?

L
Mar 1, 2016
Northen Sweden
My 13 pro RMK 600 sounds just in-between the two you compare and it have been like that for at least 2000km, doesn't anyone know where the sound comes from? Does your sound bad when running to? Mine doesn't​ sound very well but it still runs good and the clutching works good only things is my clutches tend to get really freaking hot

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
My 13 pro RMK 600 sounds just in-between the two you compare and it have been like that for at least 2000km, doesn't anyone know where the sound comes from? Does your sound bad when running to? Mine doesn't​ sound very well but it still runs good and the clutching works good only things is my clutches tend to get really freaking hot

Interesting, yeah I've found so far that all I've checked make it, and yeah question is from where, I'm thinking the water/oil pump shaft?

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
Sounds like a Rod bearing or Piston Pin. If you take out the spark plug and put a wooden dowel or something down in and press on top of the piston it will tighten it up and the noise will stop. This can be normal if the engine has sat for awhile due to very little oil in the bearings. Or you could have a problem. You could measure how much the pistons move compared to crank rotation and get an idea if there is a real problem.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Pull the plugs and/or powervalves and do that again. See if each piston is moving up and down exactly with motion input from the clutch. You will be able to see if each piston is tied tightly to that motion or not. When you move the crank back and forth, the pistons should be tied directly to that motion with no slop. Any slop and you have an issue with a bearing or pin.

To me, sound like a clutch weight is swinging back and forth potentially. Or the moving sheave is moving back and forth. This noise is not that uncommon.

You can also take a long tube or hose and place one end to your ear and the other to different parts of the motor to see where that noise is coming from...may give you an idea of where the sound is originating from.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Like mentioned, a little pressure on top of the pistons should rule out rod bearings. Could be piston rocking as well.

Try to identify top dead center and see if it makes the same noise there? I ask since the pistons are not really moving up and down around top dead center/bottom dead center.

Important hint from Octanee; all he'd heard made it = normal and nothing to worry about. Probably.

RS

P
Nov 26, 2007
connecting rod bearing on the crank, been there done that last year on my 12 rmk

It ended up lighting up the DET display and I shut it down, need up putting a new crank and new pistons in

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
Mine made the same noise.

Windowed the case and tossed a rod.

It was a bad rod bearing.

I would highly recommend inspecting EVERYTHING.

That was EXPENSIVE.

Premium Features