• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Will the 2018 SkS 146 impress?

Coldestwinter1

Premium Member
Oct 8, 2014
New york
I have a 2016 SkS and a 2017 sba and have to say unless my wife wants to ride I never ride the sba. Even if I'm on tug hill bombing the trails there's always the possibility of finding a sweet spot that's going to make me regret having the wrong sled and here's why. the sba has a 2.0 track, boost, and mtx cna skis how every it can't hold a line side hilling not to mention it takes more than twice the commitment to get it where you want versus a little body language and twist of the bars to put the SkS on edge. Also out west in fluff even with boost it a struggles to not get stuck and if you do it'll take a lot more work to get it out on plane. Once again roll over the SkS and pull off like it never happened. With that benig said it's still a good sled for what it is a crossover however it's no means a 144 mountain sled and nor will the SkS 146 be. Not even close.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Personally, if it was me.....................

If I wanted two "mountain capable" sleds, I would have a 163" and a 155". Both sleds can run down a boring trail and both sleds are super capable off trail. 163" for those days you hit it perfect with a ton of fresh and the 155" as the spare for yourself on normal to lower snow / spring days or for the wife to ride. Or......instead of the 155, a guy could try the 146", which may be okay???? No time on one, so cannot comment????

If your truly looking for two different sleds for two different types of riding then stay with what you have.

I personally have two sleds but they are completely different to cover two different riding styles. 163" for out west and an IQR to rip on for at home or spring riding.

Or option three........which is buy three sleds!!!! ha ha

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
Having owned a 146 Axys RMK and a Axys RMK 155, I can say the 146 is underestimated by many. On most days the 146 is more fun to ride than the 155, it turns sharper, carries more track speed and jumps better than the longer variants.

C
Feb 5, 2010
Norway
It did impress me enough to snowcheck one. Keep in mind that it's not a RMK. It's a crossover sled with better shocks, little longer track lugs and narrow front end.
It does not have the RMK feel. The only DNA from RMK it has is the gripper skis and 39" front suspension.

It's a fun little nimble sled for both deep snow and trail. It's a crossover. I've tried it in the trees and after the trails. Works great.
You really notice the wider seat and different steering setup. If you don't ride the deep stuff and do 40% trails and 60% outside trails it's a great sled. But if you ride more outside trails and deep snow, climbs, hillclimbs and that stuff, get a RMK.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Personally, if it was me.....................

If I wanted two "mountain capable" sleds, I would have a 163" and a 155". Both sleds can run down a boring trail and both sleds are super capable off trail. 163" for those days you hit it perfect with a ton of fresh and the 155" as the spare for yourself on normal to lower snow / spring days or for the wife to ride. Or......instead of the 155, a guy could try the 146", which may be okay???? No time on one, so cannot comment????

If your truly looking for two different sleds for two different types of riding then stay with what you have.

I personally have two sleds but they are completely different to cover two different riding styles. 163" for out west and an IQR to rip on for at home or spring riding.

Or option three........which is buy three sleds!!!! ha ha
I agree with this guy... I'd have a 155 stocker for the U.P. , a boosted 163 for out west, and an iqr for at home. Also have good taste in motorcycles... LOL Course I give it the college try everywhere I go on my 155 stocker with raptors...

E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
This Sled was never meant for the 100% mountain guys, so if your looking at this trying to form an opinion then your kinda wasting your time at least for critiquing a sled your not interested in owning. This sled was meant for the guy that does everything hence a crossover if you hate trails this sled isnt for you, and youll find yourself happy on the 155+ sleds dedicated for mountain and back country riding.

For someone like me who totals mileage upwards of 2k yearly riding the up and lower michigan with my yearly trip out west then it makes perfect sense. I spend a lot of my time looking for the those sweet areas to jump off on and go off trail and often spend my time not touching the trail at all depending on who im riding with. For most riding this sled will be a great fit in the up, obviously a longer sled being more at home in the tight trees. I got 2 solid season on my high country 800 and really liked how well it did off trail, for when it wasnt stupid deep i was still having a great time where as the guys on the 150+ track sleds it was all so easy they werent having as much fun. But when it does get deep a little bit of skill takes you a long ways. For that yearly trip out west it still did great, obviously not going were the more experienced guys with longer sleds were going as easy, but still makes for a great time. Another thing that the shorter track offers is quick spooling of the track, and in my high countries case the ability to hold crazy high track speed upwards of 60+ mph on climbs depending on how deep it is and boy does that track speed help you claw your way up especially when the track can keep digging. Makes it more exciting anyways.

Shorter=more fun assuming no crazy conditions Longer=better and easier maneuvering in the slow technical stuff.

Edit: That said I really wish this sled came in the rmk chassis vs the sba, but that was a minor detail i overlooked when i ordered it lol. Having been around the SBA chassis a little bit, i think it will be a great fit though.

Last edited:

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
I sure hope so

I sure hope it's awesome as I'm planning on making my dad get one. He's on a 2012 Polaris rmk 600 144 standard right now. He simply doesn't enjoy riding anything with a track longer than 144 ( I assume 146 will be ok.) We test drove when polaris had demos and he loved the 144 but hated the 155.

So he is stuck mentally at having a 144 sled, so I'm seeing this new SKS as finally a way of getting him the 800 engine, as he has had to put up with only a 600 for the last 4 years. I know the SKS isn't fully an RMK in many ways, but really, neither was his 600 144, and yet he has loved that. Here's to hoping.

Premium Features