• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

G4 vs m8000

ntm_08

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2009
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1446789572018110&id=248624841834595

850 summit gets beaten by 18' M8000. In the video they start the same. Mabye the G4 is a bit ahead. But after 1/3 way up the M8000 keep building speed while the G4 is stady. At the end the M8000 is way ahead.

This is what i feel missing while riding also! Quick in the start and pulls hard, but after the first punch its done. It will not build speed. It makes the sled feel strong but go slow in the long runs.

Any thoughts?

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
Terrible comparison. Need a hill that both sleds will get stuck on and see how high they go. Then race them side by side. Bit who really cares.

B
Feb 18, 2009
Suspension setup makes all the difference and we really have no idea how it was setup. The Skidoo 2017 clutch calibration is also pretty poor from the factory but easy to improve so let's get a couple guys out there who know how to setup there sleds then run them side by side up a hill they can't make it to the top and see where each sleds ends up.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I ride a axys, and if the limit straps on the 850 are loose and it wheels to much I'll take the 850 on a long steep climb. Tighten the limit strap and I get out climbed. my buddy bought our cat dealers 18 demo, it sometimes will out climb the axys depending on snow. Wet snow axys takes the win/fluffy snow the cat takes the win. It has never even came close to the 850 I ride with all the time, that is 100% stock just has the limit straps two hole tighter.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Ride what you want to ride. Nobody on here is good enough to push these sleds to what they can really do. :juggle:

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
850 leaves a lot on the table on suspension set up--clutching and depending on track length gearing wise. Set up properly no stock sled except the sidewinder will out pull or out climb it. Stock for stock they are all a fun bunch of sleds and make for great friendly competition quite to the contrary of the keyboard wars going on here. A few tweaks different conditions and rider skill level all play a role and sometimes play in one or the other guys favour. On the snow it is all friendly fun competition on the forum all ignorance and bull**** -- must be time for summer toys for most of us anyway.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
I'd like to see more totally stock 17 g4 Vs foam removed, hps can, clutch kit, and mesh hood side by side comparison... Who really cares how they compare to other manufacturers.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
It doesn't really matter what terrain or hill, the 850 tops out early.
On lake, Axys smoked mine with comparable tracks. Even until 40, then Polaris pulled it.
When I rode the 2018 Cat with a bud, the Cat just kept pulling while my Doo felt like I had dropped an anchor.
Plus when we swapped back, he asked me why the RPM's randomly dropped on the hill.
That would be due to heat from the shxxtty clutch setup that we spent $13000 on this year.
Good job Skidoo, your promise to make it right makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

R
Oct 10, 2014
It doesn't really matter what terrain or hill, the 850 tops out early.
On lake, Axys smoked mine with comparable tracks. Even until 40, then Polaris pulled it.
When I rode the 2018 Cat with a bud, the Cat just kept pulling while my Doo felt like I had dropped an anchor.
Plus when we swapped back, he asked me why the RPM's randomly dropped on the hill.
That would be due to heat from the shxxtty clutch setup that we spent $13000 on this year.
Good job Skidoo, your promise to make it right makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

Felt the same way. Listen, I've had a ton of Skidoo's in the past and snowcheck one every year. There isn't any doubt that they will get the G4 figured out. When it came snow check time this year, I got the best deal on a new M8, but I was scared of the motor. It was much less than the Polaris or the Doo. I'm hearing a lot of good coming from that sled, but didn't want to take the leap of faith like I did on 2012, with that new M8 being the worst sled I have ever owned. that being said I am trying a new Axys this year. All my buddies have them and I always wanted to be different, but each once that has transitioned have liked the Pro. So I did it. Being a long time Doo rider, I think its going to take awhile to get used to the Axys. the first year change for any co is going to have their fair share of issues. If Doo does what they say they are going to do, then that's awesome, but I haven't gotten any call from my dealer telling me to bring it in for recall yet???

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
A vid of two random stock sleds running an unknown hill on a single day are mindless BS, cheap entertainment. Mix up the sleds, hill, and month/day/time, and results can and will vary widely. But, it gets eyeballs.

Cat could be a great stock sled again, just took them too many years to figure it out and get it done. I hope it's a home run. But the hill for them to climb is much steeper now, biz-wise. What sucks more than being a loyal M buyer since 2012 - being a cat dealer. They all got the shaft. Meanwhile, both poo and doo made huge headway with their platforms. Sun isn't going to shine on AC's rear end for a long time.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
These sleds were compared stock to stock as they should be. With being said, skidoo's stock clutching is piss poor. Cats clutching is a lot closer to optimal. Once they are both clutched by a good tuner, the 850 pulls away from the cat. Not by much, but it does pull away.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Rode an 18 g4 850 165x3" today.
Super good response off the bottom.
Flat on the top end.

With me (220#) on my axys 163x3" slp pipe set, A2DSLEDWORKS clutching.
Tyson (150#) on the 18 g4 I could creep ahead off the line up to 40mph, then above that I'd run away.

Did about 5 runs with similar results.

No cats in the group.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
My last Ski-doo was a 2012 Freeride. I had a DJ clutch kit in it.. It would have similar results with other 800 etecs. Even my wife's Backcountry 137 couldn't touch it until I got to about 155-160 km/h...

The G4 with a new engine that's almost certainly de-tuned, and clutching that's blowing the belts on some sleds.. I'd say this sled will get better with time and the aftermarket will most definitely fix up any clutching issues.

Then you'll have a little rocket that will put Polaris maintenance schedules to shame.

That all being said, I'm keeping my Axys for a little while longer. :face-icon-small-hap

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Felt the same way. Listen, I've had a ton of Skidoo's in the past and snowcheck one every year. There isn't any doubt that they will get the G4 figured out. When it came snow check time this year, I got the best deal on a new M8, but I was scared of the motor. It was much less than the Polaris or the Doo. I'm hearing a lot of good coming from that sled, but didn't want to take the leap of faith like I did on 2012, with that new M8 being the worst sled I have ever owned. that being said I am trying a new Axys this year. All my buddies have them and I always wanted to be different, but each once that has transitioned have liked the Pro. So I did it. Being a long time Doo rider, I think its going to take awhile to get used to the Axys. the first year change for any co is going to have their fair share of issues. If Doo does what they say they are going to do, then that's awesome, but I haven't gotten any call from my dealer telling me to bring it in for recall yet???

Yah, I have bought 13 Etecs since 2013. I did check two more this year, but it was more of a favor to my dealer who treats me right than what I really wanted to do. Good luck with the Axys, I cannot ride them to save my life. Probably more me than the sled. :)

Premium Features