• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Used 2015(?) Silber Turbo kit, what to look for when (maybe) picking it up?

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Have a chance to pick up a standard non-intercooled Silber turbo kit off a 2015 Pro for a decent price. Comes complete with flashed ECM and high flow injectors, and from the pictures looks to have the billet intake, silicone intake tubes, clutching. Should be plug-and-play but I want to make sure I am not going to get halfway into an install and realize I am missing something... whether something simple like a spring or clamp or something expensive that will blow the budget out of the water.

Also can you set the boost low enough so that you can always run 91 octane non-ethanol from a reputable fuel dealer? Or at most throw in a couple gallons per tank of av gas to keep it safe?

Is there a "standard" parts list I can look at to make sure it is not missing anything? I have looked at and read the "stickie" post about buying used turbos and I think in general I should not have any big $$$ surprises since it has the ECM with it already, and it is off the same year sled as I will be putting it onto.
The installation PDF on Silber's site says it is for 2011-2013, would that be the same? I don't want to bug Silber since I am not putting money into their pocket directly, yet anyway.

New to the turbo game but not to the sled game, it just seems like the tech and kits have come so far as to be almost plug and play now, while I don't mind doing a little tinkering or tuning, I don't want to spend all my time tuning, would rather ride when I have the time to ride.

Any recommendations or links appreciated... going to go reread the used turbo stickie thread, and silber's install pdf now... :face-icon-small-con

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
So you will want the Turbo, All tubing, Airbox, Airbox tabs, fasteners, Oil lines, Coolant hoses, BOV & hose/barb, MAP Sensor, Pull Rope guide (If it has it), Helix, Secondary Spring, Primary springs, weights (unless your doing your own clutching)

The instructions you see will be a little different as that kit your getting should only have two larger injectors which replace your stock ones. It will not have Aux injectors like shown in the PDF.

You will want to purchase new exhaust spring and double each of them up. Also new donut seals.

I would do a compression test and visual on your top end before purchasing and depending on miles you may want to get new reeds.

As far as fuel, this would depend:
External or internal Wastegate?
What Elevation are you running?
What boost are wanting to run?

Last edited:

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
So you will want the Turbo, All tubing, Airbox, Airbox tabs, fasteners, Oil lines, Coolant hoses, BOV & hose/barb, MAP Sensor, Pull Rope guide (If it has it), Helix, Secondary Spring, Primary springs, weights (unless your doing your own clutching)

The instructions you see will be a little different as that kit your getting should only have two larger injectors which replace your stock ones. It will not have Aux injectors like shown in the PDF.

You will want to purchase new exhaust spring and double each of them up. Also new donut seals.

I would do a compression test and visual on your top end before purchasing and depending on miles you may want to get new reeds.

As far as fuel, this would depend:
External or internal Wastegate?
What Elevation are you running?
What boost are wanting to run?
I am going to upload a few pictures of the kit once I grab them. My sled is a 2015 and has 550 miles on it. Runs great...
The kit is the standard and sounds like that is the internal wastegate. I ride generally 5000-8000 feet and don't want to run a lot of boost, just want some more HP over stock... 860 Carls Dragon is my current ride.

turbo1.jpg turbo2.jpg turbo3.jpg turbo4.jpg 0122171651.jpg

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Agreed that primary spring looks really bad... had one in my 860 for three seasons now that looks better than that! (It was still working great.)

That leads me to wonder a little about the condition of the other components. Miles on ECM reported to be around 600 but the ECM does not keep track of miles (at leaast in the Dragons, and I believe in the Pros). He took the turbo kit off his sled and went back to stock sounds like he bought it with the turbo on it, so miles are probably an unknown...

EDIT: According to the instructions PDF off Silber's site, the only elevation and boost combo not needing race gas is 9000-10000 feet at 3-5 PSI. Granted, that is for the setup without the ECU flash and with the extra injectors, if that makes any difference I don't know, wish they had the PDF up there for the ECU flash version of their kit with larger injectors...

Last edited:

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
The internal wast gate is going to be 7#. You would need to purchase the low altitude billet wastegate to go under that. With 7 I would personally would run 50 pump/50 av.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
I thought they were adjustable boost kits, even the basic kit...

Not with an internal wastegate. You can add a manual boost controller and increase but can not go lower than the set spring with out purchasing a new actuator.

Also with a internal is really hard to get under 5 consistently at lower elevation as the port is just to small.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Not with an internal wastegate. You can add a manual boost controller and increase but can not go lower than the set spring with out purchasing a new actuator.

Also with a internal is really hard to get under 5 consistently at lower elevation as the port is just to small.
Ok, thanks for the info... so "stock" I would probably have to run 50/50 91 pump nonethanol and av gas... hm... maybe I am not ready for the jump to turbos, I hate having to round up fuel... and get me into more trouble anyway...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Is the used kit you are looking at a significantly lower price (more than $1000 less) than a new kit? New Silber kits with full factory support are $3250 now... probably even lower if you can haggle.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Is the used kit you are looking at a significantly lower price (more than $1000 less) than a new kit? New Silber kits with full factory support are $3250 now... probably even lower if you can haggle.
$1800 and the guy is basically within 140 miles of me and it includes the ECU and is coming off of a 2015 (which my Pro is also a 2015)...

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Shop around. I picked up a used (about 300 miles) 2015 silber external waste gate oil less complete set up with all clutching components, 2 each 3, 5 and 7 # springs swapped out ecu's a stock 15 for his reflashed 15 for $2000.00. Heading to togwotee tomorrow to try it out.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Shop around. I picked up a used (about 300 miles) 2015 silber external waste gate oil less complete set up with all clutching components, 2 each 3, 5 and 7 # springs swapped out ecu's a stock 15 for his reflashed 15 for $2000.00. Heading to togwotee tomorrow to try it out.
Sweet deal for sure! Let me know what springs you try and what fuel is required for your test runs...

Premium Features