• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2007 d7 hard starting

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
hello all.
My 07 d7 is getting hard to start. 7-8 pulls then pop and runs ok with a bit of throttle input (1/8th throttle for about 10 seconds.) then she will run all day as long as you do not shut it down. restart is the same issue. 50psi fuel pressure at idle. no lights or dash when pulling it over but as soon as she comes too life I got full bars on my power gauge. only thing I got extra is the charging system for e-start (no starter just the battery and charging system, I am running the battery to keep my turbo oil pump and afr gauge off of the stator loads...).
Acts like the Capacitor is not holding a charge or maybe chassis relay?

any help would be great
thanks
Damen

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
I think there's a check valve in the fuel system that holds the pressure so u don't have to build it back up every time. That's what is sounds like, that your having to build the fuel pressure back up every time. Not sure if there's a way to test it or not but worth looking into.

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
ok today was 4 pulls to start every single pull 40psi fuel pressure (Including the very first pull of the day) but did not hold it. built pressure and dropped to zero each time.... until the fourth pull built 40psi and pop away she went. looks like I am loosing prime...

Last edited:
C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
Issue solved.... Pulled my fuel pump and discovered the last owner took the in tank regulator out. He installed a holley boost referenced EFI regulator externally (these are not designed to hold psi after shut down.) So I ordered a new assembly for it. And shimmed the external regulator up to 65psi. pump is good if I clamp the return line and shut down the sled it will hold 70psi for well over an hour until I pulled the clamp off. So in the spirit of I just want to ride I put a push button in that primes the pump so I can go riding....:face-icon-small-sho

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Wow, I wonder why a person would put a set-up like that on in the first place? Especially if it takes 10 pulls to prime the pump every time.

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
yup my thoughts exactly...... but price was right when i bought the sled, 2k with the brand new turbo setup and a snapped crankshaft. right now with buying the sled and putting a new engine in it and misc repairs. I am under blue book for it stock. Oh well new pump is on its way.lol

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
new fuel pump assembly got it fixed! 60psi at idle. still had 40psi on the system when I started it this afternoon. one pull and she fired!

T
Oct 8, 2009
I just bought an 09' 600 RMK shift and I have almost the same issue as you had. The difference is mine takes about 8 pulls to get it started when cold but after it is warm it starts first pull every time. It also has no running issues it runs very well actually. Any ideas what could be going on with mine?

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
oh yeah I did the fuel filter upgrade to a napa fuel filter using quick connects. more fuel volume in filter and 9 bucks versus 100.00 for the poo one.... And yup my ol girls boosted 11psi of fun! lol

Premium Features