• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 900 electrical issues

Kd2006

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2013
North Central Montana
Hey guys,

My buddy has an 06 900. 2 years ago put a new motor in it after his crank busted off at the clutch. Last year, it died on the trail and was throwing codes for the stator. Put an aftermarket stator in. After throwing in the new stator, it ran great. This year, it died suddenly on the trail while his wife was riding it. He got it started again and rode it, and said it ran fine as long as the rpm was higher than what she was riding at. He managed to finish out the day and get it back to the trailer. The next day, it started and made it out of the trailer to idle and warm up. Suddenly died off idling up and wouldnt restart. Had to drag it back into the trailer where its still currently sitting. No electric start, so can rule out a bad battery. Is it best to look at the stator first? Where should I go from there? He said his voltage gauge wasn't reading any voltage.

Thanks in advance.

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
If by voltage gauge you mean the battery indicator on the MFD, that is a sign of a bad capacitor which acts as a battery since the sled doesn't have one. The capacitor is located in front of the tank on the left side bolted to the bulkhead. It can be tested.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Def check the capacitor. It's a small black box and located as stated above.
It saves the energy developed when you are pulling the sled over and acts a battery supplying fuel to fuel pump, minor parts of the electrical system injectors so it will fire..

When the capacitor goes bad it will not show (or show 1 of 2 max) bars on the gauges..it will also cause the headlights and gauges to flicker because it also stabilizes the voltage in the system to a constant pulse. Super easy..read the stickies and it will tell you how to test.

Please post back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
If u discharge the capacitor and then reconnect it to a 12vdc battery to charge it..it MUST reach min 12vdc as well. If it won't increase voltage it's faulty..

Once it reaches 12vdc (of coarse battery being used needs to be fully charged) let cap charge for 30 seconds and remove it from the battery's power..now leave the multimeter plugged into the cap using D.C. VOLTAGE and watch the voltage drop over the next minute..it should slowly drain..very slowly..if it's fast or doesn't hold a charge at all..bam dead part, replace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kd2006

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2013
North Central Montana
Well, tested capacitor. Hooked it up to a fully charged 12v battery. Let the capacitor charge up. Unhooked the leads from the battery. The voltage on the capacitor would only drop one hundredth (0.01) of a volt every 2 seconds or so.

Thoughts please?

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
Assuming that was from battery voltage level it looks like your capacitor is good.

Maybe the voltage regulator? I've never had a bad one and am not familiar with associated tests so maybe someone else will chime in.

D
Nov 2, 2008
Mine did the same thing. Turned out the stator bolts came out and sheared off. Then you have a loose stator rattling around. Wires get cut, sometimes starts, etc.
Turn the clutch by hand and listen and hear bad noises from the stator area.

Premium Features