• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to 09 m1000

E
Jul 25, 2013
So I'm looking at buying a 09 m1000, I have been riding Polaris iqr mountain mods for some time, so in used to light and tough sleds, but my current iqr is a 136", it's my spring sled. I found a good deal on a 09 m1000 that's been ported, slp single pipe and silencer, oil injection delete, extra motor mounts and torque arms,attitude fuel box, 162x3" track, headlight delete, full vented new clutches,!fox floats etc etc, my question is I've ridden m7's and 8's but never 1000's, and I ride the west, central Oregon mountains, tight trees and technical lines, and eastern Oregon and McCall idaho more open, are these sled's heavy tanks? I feel I am getting a good deal on this sled, it's in extremely good shape, but I don't want a big fast heavy sled that only goes straight, my other option is a 09 Polaris dragon 800 163" in really good shape... The 1000 is a lot cheaper and in realllllyyyy good clean shape so there is my dilemma

R
Feb 29, 2016
The M1000 IS best at going fast in a straight line. The M chassis sleds were once the best sleds on the market and a 200 hp M1000 is still a capable machine in the right hands. We have 2 M1000s in the fleet and I have spent time on both, on is modded up to a similar power level, and it IS fast. It is also a TON of work to ride into the places the newer sleds go easily. The power on those is NICE, the handling good but they are heavy especially on the nose.

Choosing between a Dragon and an M1000 is about the easiest decision in the world. I wouldn't touch an 800 Dragon with a 50 foot pole. You WILLL be walking out after it blows up, it will blow up... Be aware that the M1000 has flaws too. If it has a new top end because it burned down on the PTO side, the crank seal is leaking and needs replacement. Both of the 1500-2000 mile M1000 motors I have been inside showed signs of crank seal air leaks. Both had burned the PTO side down.

IMO the HO M8 from 2010-11 is a MUCH better all around sled. Much more nimble without the extra 20 lbs the M1000 motor brings with. Those motors will run over 4000 miles for most people. Best budget sled around. The next best choices are '13+ Polaris Pro rides, '13+ Cat Pro Climbs or Doo XM from '12+ . ANY one of those will be easier and more fun than the M1000 in the tight technical trees.

E
Jul 25, 2013
Yeah that's the problem, these days id rather have a good handling sled that's down a little on power than one the is a heavy tank that wears you out in a half day ride, I don't ride trails, we don't have a ton of straight up verticals hill climbs, mainly technical tree lines, cliff/cornice drops etc. I think I'll prob pass on the m1000, seemed really cheap and extremely well built but I've had heavy I'll handling sled's in the past and don't miss those days. The dragon does have the rk tek "fix it kit" installed and new clutches and slp pipe and can and is very very clean, the fix it kit only has 200 miles and was installed precautionary. I'm basically looking to get into a sled for $4k or less, I already have my iqr and a 03 edge rmk as a spare for friends but I'd like a longer track pull and go sled for when my mod is broke. Lol

R
Feb 29, 2016
The good news is, the M1000 CAN negotiate the trees and technical areas. It is the power as much as the weight that gets tiring.

There is no FIX for the Dragon motor. Fix Kit Dragons still explode regularly. I am a HUGE Polaris fan currently, on my third in a row after being on a Cat for a few years. I still would never wish a Dragon on even my enemies. That is a truly terrible sled IMO.

Find an M8 HO from 2010-11. Excellent pull and go Mtn sled that is reliable and durable. You are pushing it at $4000 but maybe there are some out there.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Most tree nimble sled I've had was a well built m1000.
Could negotiate better than any of my m8's cuz a tap of the throttle would feather the front end wherever I wanted.
Not for small guys though.

Premium Features