• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha 1 ride review

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
7888ece57ba508882a1a4d3aab24fcc1.jpg

This sled is pretty sweet carves like a dream and sidhills even better! Holds an edge perfectly.

5654f5e222e9421609785534b74717e4.jpg
IMG_0733.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Someone who know how to post vids needs to post up so we can all see this thing in action!!! Glad to hear, all the basher will be so disappointed :)

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
If you don’t mind what sled are currently riding? Just curious since that would help judge how the Alpha 1 compares.

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
Someone should be able to help you with that. How about a better Review? What you like what felt different?

The skid holds way less snow than a conventional two rail, that was very noticeable. It comes up on edge with no effort at all and holds the sidehill line effortlessly. We had an 18’ mtn cat in the group and the alpha is noticeably easier to ride, it requires a lot less rider input and is very easy to over ride. The new track works great and the sled rides good in all conditions we had it in, even in the stutter bumps going down the trail. If anyone has specific questions I will do my best to answer them.

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
I am riding a 2016 m8000 162” with a 3” x3 camoplast with a bdx 950, and a bunch of light weight parts. The alpha would do everything I could do but easier. We never lined up for a drag race but they felt like they were pretty comparable power wise and climbing ability. The alpha is a boondockers dream!!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Just a couple questions
How quick is the handling? Is it quicker turning than a gen 4?
Does it turn inside any sled like they claim?
Is there better traction?
Did you notice any detriments about this suspension? Washout or turn uphill.
Does it soak up the rough stuff like they claim? Squirrelly at all? Even remotely like t motion?
Best thing since milk?

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
So many questions...

The skid holds way less snow than a conventional two rail, that was very noticeable. It comes up on edge with no effort at all and holds the sidehill line effortlessly. We had an 18’ mtn cat in the group and the alpha is noticeably easier to ride, it requires a lot less rider input and is very easy to over ride. The new track works great and the sled rides good in all conditions we had it in, even in the stutter bumps going down the trail. If anyone has specific questions I will do my best to answer them.

How did it feel thru ruts and bumps? Is it predictable or does it keep you guessing? Have you ridden an 850 doo? How do they compare as far as handling? Finally, how many chocolate bars did you have to open before you found the golden ticket?

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
Just a couple questions
How quick is the handling? Is it quicker turning than a gen 4?

Yes handling is very quick and smooth when crossing old tracks not a ton of feedback through the bars

Does it turn inside any sled like they claim?

It will turn as tight as you can hang onto it, a lot tighter up on edge than the 18

Is there better traction?

The new track hooks up great and has no problems crawling through the deep.

Did you notice any detriments about this suspension? Washout or turn uphill.

I never had it wash on me but we weren’t on a super steep slope either, it was very stable on the sidehill and hugged the hill very nice

Does it soak up the rough stuff like they claim, Squirrelly at all?

The new suspension rides nice in all conditions we had it in, even washboard bumps on the trail. Also could rail the corners kinda like on a dirt bike.

Even remotely like t motion?

We had a ‘18 850 ski doo with us and the alpha is a lot more planted but easier to initiate turns and pick your line.

Best thing since milk?

It is a very sweet package for sure, if you have the money I say well worth the upgrade!

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
How did it feel thru ruts and bumps? Is it predictable or does it keep you guessing? Have you ridden an 850 doo? How do they compare as far as handling? Finally, how many chocolate bars did you have to open before you found the golden ticket?

Handling is very predictable, nice feedback through the bars it is almost like you think it where you want go and it does it. We had an 850 doo with us and I though the alpha was a lot more predictable and would hold a line easier, for the last question, it’s all in who you know

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
SWEET! Thanks for the review. After 6 pages of alpha ride reviews of which there was exactly ZERO ride reviews, I found your post refreshing.
Apparently i need to find more well connected friends! Would loveto post my own review.

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009
Skidoo guy for over 10yrs prolly gonna jump ship. I like the idea of the skid, somewhat scared on reliability of cat coming off a 16doo t3 154 with 2500 mtn miles and never a problem! Looking for something more standup jetski style in a sled anyways. Wasn’t really impressed with the few times i rode a friends 154 g4 850, felt boaty like a polaris and and seemed like it was longer than a 154xm...

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
Skidoo guy for over 10yrs prolly gonna jump ship. I like the idea of the skid, somewhat scared on reliability of cat coming off a 16doo t3 154 with 2500 mtn miles and never a problem! Looking for something more standup jetski style in a sled anyways. Wasn’t really impressed with the few times i rode a friends 154 g4 850, felt boaty like a polaris and and seemed like it was longer than a 154xm...

I think the alpha will suit you perfectly! I am a cat guy from top to bottom but I think you will be pleasantly surprised

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
How were the trail manners? Scratchers? Cooling? What parts are glued together? Thanks for posting.

Trail manners were just like a dual rail suspension and if anything it cornered better. Skid has scratchers but we were in snow we didn’t need them, it was running mid 140’s for temp on the trail

Premium Features