• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil consumption real low on a trail ride?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Hey guys,Kinda wondering if anybody has any input on this, I went out for a ride with my wife, both sleds are a 2011 pro rmk 800, I turned the oil pumps up on the sleds, ski doo oil caps. both have the head of the screw flush to the nut. we went 37 km, she would of been real easy on the throttle, fairly green to sledding. it was a warmer day, snow was soft and melting, sleds ran hotter around 80C or so, or 170F.

Guestimating on the gas gauge that the sleds took ~10L on the high side, or 1/4 tank.

The oil I put in was maybe ~150ML for the wifes sled. my sled was more closer to ~220Ml but I ran it harder at times where i could but still an easy trail ride.

It seems so low? my calculations are my wife's sled was closer to 60:1 which scares me, I'd think that it should still see downward of 40:1? my sled also was the leanest on oil i Have seen it be big time, and hers I thought did it even take any oil?. other times It's been out it usually consumed more but it was colder out, you wouldnt think it would make it consume more.

Thoughts? Is it normal? I'd think the oil injection would be somewhat fairly linear with regards to light throttle 40:1 still or wide open maybe a bit richer at 50:1 as an example?

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Oil consumption is not linear, easier riding can use alot less than hard riding. Also, you should not be letting your machines get to 170f, that wont hurt them but it isnt good for them and performance is suffering big time. Do you have scratchers?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
I believe TRS had a thread on here to retrofit a BRP tstat on a polaris , it will help with your temps .

Also there are threads on here about turning up the oil and adding oil to the gas , this will also help you ,

I tried to find them for you but i never had any luck , sorry

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
TRS retrofit is called "the $28 fix/upgrade" i think. It is a must. I have the same setup but an aftermarket deal, cools much better.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Good info guys, so oiling wise it may seem to be OK? When I've ridden the sled it seemed to be around 40:1 usually or richer, so this time it really threw me off all worried! then I checked mine and similar thing. I'd of thought up to a max of 90C or 194F would be fine or would be Ok for them, again a max to then shut the sled off. when ever I have a chance I always hit the fresh stuff with a handfull of throttle but the wife... well not so much, I just tell her to keep an eye on the temp. both sleds do have scratchers, my sled has a Cr racing setup and it does cool better than stock. the warmer temps was the slow winding trail up a mountain since shes green to it she was creeping along which kept the temps warmer like. along the main trail where you get speed up cooling wasn't a problem.

I have read about that T-stat change over and have not gotten around to it yet.

Premium Features