• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Intercooler Efficiency Enhancement Products by EVO

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
We spent many many hours designing, testing and datalogging to improve the efficiency of the stock intercooler.

Our testing has shown that the stock intercooler is actually quite efficient, but because of its orientation, installation and size, it cannot keep up with the heat that even a stock sled can produce - especially in the mountains where ground speeds are typically lower.

Most high performance automotive intercooler applications use a ducted pathway to an air to air intercooler which is completely sealed so that any air that comes through the duct is FORCED through the fins of the cooler. Air will always take the path of least resistance which in the case of the 1100T and Z1 turbo, is mostly around the end tanks. The intercooler acts more like a heat sink rather than a true air to air intercooler. Thicker intercoolers take longer to heat soak because of the additional "mass", but will flow LESS through the fins because the thickness adds more air resistance.

We realized that we could extract great efficiency out of the stock cooler in deep snow conditions simply by packing snow on the core. Our intercooler fan kit would help draw the melted snow through and further increase the stock coolers performance. This yielded very good results, but left the hood looking unfinished and did not do anything to help on days where the snow was packed.

This research led us to create two hood scoops out of Carbon Fiber - one for trail/lake racing and one for the mountains. The mountain version is designed to funnel snow onto the cooler in deep snow conditions as well as forcing air through the core due to its aerodynamic shape and seal kit. This kit makes the stock cooler VERY efficient in most conditions.

The Lake/Trail is designed to create a high pressure zone right above the core which rams the air through the core.

We chose carbon fiber both for strength and weight - the kit literally weighs a few ounces.

Price for the kit is $249 and will be in stock by 10/18.

For BIG power and Chute Climbing, our Liquid to Air is the only way to go...

LakeTrailScoop_zps57e8dd49.jpg

LakeTrailScoop2_zps82507de1.jpg

AlumiumPrototype_zps6c7c5d64.jpg

MountainScoop_zps8208cdfc.jpg

Last edited:
S
Dec 6, 2007
have you seen any issues with snow/water getting on the clutches and causing belt slippage with this type of setup? with all that snow being dumped on the intercooler and melting the water has to go somewhere. Last season I changed out my factory louvers for a mesh vent with pre-filter material to help keep snow out. Sounds like I may have went the wrong direction if we want the snow to go in. Thanks for the info

S2H

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Is there any worry as to catching a branch with a scoop like that? If its designed to funnel air/snow that direction, won't it do the same with sticks? Not bashing by any means, just curious.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
The idea in concept is pretty good. But I have to ask, when climbing, pulling a chute, how much snow does the average guy have coming over the hood.

I think I already know the answer. But thought I would ask just for kicks.

I know it would never be possible but, if you could ever figure out how to put the intercooler where the front heat exchanger is you might have something. (front of the tunnel)

Thunder

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
The idea in concept is pretty good. But I have to ask, when climbing, pulling a chute, how much snow does the average guy have coming over the hood.

I know it would never be possible but, if you could ever figure out how to put the intercooler where the front heat exchanger is you might have something. (front of the tunnel)

Thunder

Think of it this way. Your going to pull a chute. Pack the intercooler scoop full of snow. That's my thought. Also Evo is saying that the best option for the big chute climbing is the wta intercooler.

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006

Thunder

Yes, for Chute climbing, the WTA is the way to go.

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
No worries Daniel. This sled is probably not for the tree bashing rider. With that said, we ran it on our test sled all last year. The sled took numerous ghost rides and piloted rides through the trees. The hood scoop seemed to be the only thing that survived unscathed...

Is there any worry as to catching a branch with a scoop like that? If its designed to funnel air/snow that direction, won't it do the same with sticks? Not bashing by any means, just curious.

Hotchief

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2005
Normandy Park, WA
Jim,

do you have any updated photos of the mountain scoop?
Wanted to determine if there is cutting or any additional modifications needed on installation.

Thanks!

Premium Features