• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Camso Brake Pads

T
Jan 19, 2008
Kootenays
Been struggling with Brake Icing issues on my Camso.
Thought maybe I'd try new pads. Current pads still appear to have a lots of life however performance is getting progressively worse.
Camso lists the pads at $153.95 cad. This seems ridiculous to me..... The Aro pads cost $70 usd.
Its a Hayes brake and I'm hoping I can source pads somewhere a little more reasonable. The Hayes MTB pads can be purchased for about $10.
Has anyone had any luck or tips on where I can get an alternative brake pad?

M
Jan 14, 2004
I'd like to know that as well, my Camso brakes go from OK to non-existant pretty much every ride.

M5

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
you guys use your brakes? I know I dont... they barely do anything. I find letting off the throttle and the engine decompression is enough braking for me most of the time. ive only got 15 hours seat time though on a snowbike.

you can see me panicking and slamming them here... just to do absolutely nothing. and yes, im scared of water crossings... had bad experiences with them.

https://youtu.be/MLrWygNYGig?t=38s

Last edited:

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
you guys use your brakes? I know I dont... they barely do anything. I find letting off the throttle and the engine decompression is enough braking for me most of the time. ive only got 15 hours seat time though on a snowbike.

you can see me panicking and slamming them here... just to do absolutely nothing. and yes, im scared of water crossings... had bad experiences with them.

https://youtu.be/MLrWygNYGig?t=38s

Nice one. The second line across was much more of a snobike line. There are definitely times and conditions you will use your brakes more. Sometimes i go all day barely using them. Other days im on them all the time. At least now you know that slowly putting your ski downhill into a rocky creek is rarely successful on a bike?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Only snowbike i’ve Ridden with consistent brakes is the Aro.

Definitely used them yesterday. :)

02316519934f77f9f93a271da8e3a086.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

M
Jan 14, 2004
I don't use them very often but they would have been a nice feature a couple of weeks ago when I just missed slamming into the back of the trailer at the end of the day in an icy parking lot. I ended up doing the Flinstones foot braking system.

M5

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Engine braking can be more effective.

Engine braking can be more effective but the brake is definitely still nice to have. On Saturday, I was taking a downhill line through steep trees. 35° or so and with about 6 to 8 inches on top of a slippery layer. I have hit this line before and know that it is steep and tight so I came into it using my engine brakes and my track brake. Everything was going fine until my bike died because of low fuel and the way the Yamaha fuel pick up is positioned. When I get below half a tank sometimes on steep downhill’s the bike cannot pick up fuel and dies. This happens to me all the time and I should’ve known better. Anyway, I immediately started picking up speed and was lucky that I was able to slide the bike sideways and put it on its side before things got to hairy. Yeehaw! Shouldn’t have that problem today with 16 inches overnight and still snowing. Probably won’t half to use the break much today.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Hi Jack

maybe we can get this thread back on track for the camso brake pads.

T
Jan 19, 2008
Kootenays
I put an Email into Hayes.
Not sure if itll go anywhere but I got an email back from there Tech support asking for a picture of the Brake (Assuming so they can identify the model).
Anyone have a Pic at hand?
I was hoping to not have to pull the side panel to get a decent photo of the brake lol.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Is it possible that the brake and rotor are not properly lined up ? If it is possible to be offset to one side it would cause lack of braking without being visible unless you loosen one or the other and apply the brake than tighten back up ?

Just throwing it out there , nice looking brake .

-unsound

Lifetime Membership
Oct 18, 2013
Fort Sask, Alberta
Hey, if yours is a 2017 model Camso has a free recall that updates the rotor and pads I believe. My brakes seem a lot stronger and more predictable now with the recall done...Still not amazing but better than before.

Premium Features