• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking about getting back into Snowbiking...what bike?

F
Hello all.

As the title says I am thinking about getting back into snowbiking after a 4 year break. I am still a snowmobiler at heart but I think it would be nice to have the option of riding my sled or a snowbike depending on my mood for the day. So it would nice to have both in the trailer.

I am debating on a KTM 450 SX-F or a Husqvarna FC 450 and here is where I need input from you guys if you don’t mind. Which bike is going to require the most mods as in air box and radiator mods and what did you guys do to fix the issues?

Thanks guys!

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I was in the same Boat and got myself an other Snowbike.

Right now I am about 60% bike and 40% on the sled.

Once I can get a Snow Bike with a 850 engine in it it will be Snow Bike all the way.

I ended up with a Yamaha YZ the biggest dif between the bikes you are looking at is the composit airbox and subframe on the Husky.

I Preffere to go to a foam filter pod with a prefilter and not use the airbox at all. The Ktm may be better that way you can just remove the airbox parts without wrecking the whole subframe assembly.

H
Feb 18, 2011
British Columbia
I was in the same Boat and got myself an other Snowbike.

Right now I am about 60% bike and 40% on the sled.

Once I can get a Snow Bike with a 850 engine in it it will be Snow Bike all the way.

I ended up with a Yamaha YZ the biggest dif between the bikes you are looking at is the composit airbox and subframe on the Husky.

I Preffere to go to a foam filter pod with a prefilter and not use the airbox at all. The Ktm may be better that way you can just remove the airbox parts without wrecking the whole subframe assembly.

Actually the whole composite subframe on the husky unbolted, and the air box comes out as one unit and you can bolt everything else back up, it’s a really quick and easy removal

J
Dec 22, 2008
Ellensburg
We have 2: KTM 2016 SXFs, 2: 2017 SXFs and 2: 2016 Husky 450FCs. Along with a Honda and a couple Yammihas. But your question is regarding the Austrian bikes, so....

Mine is one of the '16 SXFs. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I've spent time on all of them, and prefer the KTM or Husky (same engine). The airbox and carbon subframe on the husky is not ideal. We all run stock airbox with dry filter and prefilter. I have never had or seen anyone in our group have an issue in any snow conditions. One of the Husky's has a pod, which doesn't work as well.

My build: 2016 KTM 450SXF
-'16 Timbersled ST (soon to be Snowtech MX next season)
-Thermobob
-Raze heated bars (worth every penny)
-engine jacket
-PR2 controller
-P3 Pipe gaurd
-XCF battery box with large AGM battery (Husky subframe wont allow this mod easily)
-triple carbide center skeg

Like I said, I'd do it all over again just like so. 3 seasons of flawless operation. (snow only, never had tires on it)

Cheers

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
We have 2: KTM 2016 SXFs, 2: 2017 SXFs and 2: 2016 Husky 450FCs. Along with a Honda and a couple Yammihas. But your question is regarding the Austrian bikes, so....

Mine is one of the '16 SXFs. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I've spent time on all of them, and prefer the KTM or Husky (same engine). The airbox and carbon subframe on the husky is not ideal. We all run stock airbox with dry filter and prefilter. I have never had or seen anyone in our group have an issue in any snow conditions. One of the Husky's has a pod, which doesn't work as well.

My build: 2016 KTM 450SXF
-'16 Timbersled ST (soon to be Snowtech MX next season)
-Thermobob
-Raze heated bars (worth every penny)
-engine jacket
-PR2 controller
-P3 Pipe gaurd
-XCF battery box with large AGM battery (Husky subframe wont allow this mod easily)
-triple carbide center skeg

Like I said, I'd do it all over again just like so. 3 seasons of flawless operation. (snow only, never had tires on it)

Cheers

Yep 16 sxf450.
Last of the spring forks.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
I’m on a 13 sxf and have constant electrical/battery/starting issues. Kind of annoying. Heat demon heated grips don’t help.

Maybe raze bars and a bigger battery AND a bigger stator is the key. Only $1000 for that stuff though.

Excalibur

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
Lewiston, ID
Have any of you with the KTM's had any issues with the air forks on the cold weather?

Yes if you run colder temps you will possibly have seal problems creating a semi collapsed/stuck fork.
Snow bike racer Brock at http://www.brockstarperformance.com/ has a seal update to fix this issue. I have not tried it.
Or if you plan on putting the bike back to tires for summer use consider a seperate set of forks valved and sprung for snowbike use only. One built set listed by a snowest member https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4129818#post4129818. Another great source Toby at http://www.rockymountainsnowmx.com/.
All three of our bikes I set up with snow only forks, Chaun at https://www.facebook.com/mxchauno/ did the RG3 revalve/respring and they work great! :face-icon-small-coo

Snow Bikes.jpg

Last edited:
N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I have rode a ton of bikes. Performance wise the Husky 450 is top dog without question. lack of kicker on it places it 2nd behind the YZ450F though. Reliability is #1 for me. I'm on a YZ450F this year, completely happy, althought I kind of want a KTM 300 for that smoker ride

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Are you talking brand new bike or a couple years old? 450 mx bike shootouts I've read lately say the KTM has more aggressive power delivery stock compared to the Husky even though peak hp numbers are neck and neck. If you're going to aftermarket ECU and pipe that probably won't matter. KTMs site has the 2018 bikes listed as 4 speed transmission which I'm not sure is correct. 2017 both were 5 speeds. Updated seals from suspension shops or a spring conversion can be done on the forks.

E
Aug 28, 2017
Are you talking brand new bike or a couple years old? 450 mx bike shootouts I've read lately say the KTM has more aggressive power delivery stock compared to the Husky even though peak hp numbers are neck and neck. If you're going to aftermarket ECU and pipe that probably won't matter. KTMs site has the 2018 bikes listed as 4 speed transmission which I'm not sure is correct. 2017 both were 5 speeds. Updated seals from suspension shops or a spring conversion can be done on the forks.

My KTM is an 18, it has a 5 speed tranny. From what i understand the new WP air forks are not seeing the issue the older air forks are. Besides with spring forks you'd have to respring for snow anyway. Just add air to the WP's.

The new YZ450F doesn't have a kick start either, I rode both the 2018 YZ and 2018 SX F. The KTM would eat the YZ power wise. The KTM feels much lighter on its feet.

Now i just have to make a decision on which snowbike kit to buy...........

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
My KTM is an 18, it has a 5 speed tranny. From what i understand the new WP air forks are not seeing the issue the older air forks are. Besides with spring forks you'd have to respring for snow anyway. Just add air to the WP's.

The new YZ450F doesn't have a kick start either, I rode both the 2018 YZ and 2018 SX F. The KTM would eat the YZ power wise. The KTM feels much lighter on its feet.

Well thats crazy, yamaha engineers drank the koolaid. Lame. Yeah get the husky/ktm.

I am in the same boat. I narrowed it to the KTM 450 SXF but I am torn on the kit as well. I am down to two either the Timbersled Aro or the Snowtech MX.

K

Ktm300

Oct 25, 2014
Cold lake, AB

As an owner of a 2018 YZ450 snowbike, in my experience the KTM 450’s definitely DO NOT eat my YZ. The only advantage is lower weight on the KTM. But even with my heavier bike and also heavier butt, my yZ with Camso is exactly neck and neck with Buddy’s 18 SX 450 w/Camso. Both bikes engines are completely stock minus thermobobs, engine blankets, and pod-intakes.

Premium Features