• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

LT vs ST and more........

E
Aug 28, 2017
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't find it with the search function.

The two brands that I'm looking at for kits are: Timbersled ARO and Camso.

If I go Timbersled what does everyone think of the 137 vs 120?

Obviously the Camso is a 129 and doesn't have the suspension of the Timbersled but it's also about 2G's cheaper.

iowa827

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2010
Aurelia Iowa
Length depends on where you are riding and the type of riding you do. I did all of my riding in the mountains and tested both ST and LT LE models. The LT made it so you could go anywhere and do anything. The TSS really is a great addition as well. I chose to run mine lower on pressure and it was awesome! As far as the Camso goes I just built up a wr 450 with one hoping to test it out in the next week or two. So far out here in the flat lands it seems to put the power down better than my 17 Timbersled LT did. It feels more direct power wise it's hard to explain. The ski on the other hand likes to dart around in packed/ low snow conditions. Can't wait to test it in the steep & deep! I will update as soon as I get some comparable deep snow riding on it! Keep in mind I don't have any time on an ARO kit. Somebody wanted the one I ordered for myself more than I did and ran out of LT kits to sell so it's Camso this year!

E
Aug 28, 2017
What about the Yeti after the buyout? We have a dealer here locally that is thinking about dropping them because they can't get parts or the right parts in a timely manner. Up until this Yeti was leading the pack of my choices even though they are really expensive....ouch. Everyone says that the ARO really closed the gap on the Yeti is this true or is it just salesman trying to sell what they have?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Had a 15 lt with a 16 track now own 2 Camsos... For me climbing and powder it is an animal... I am not a jumper.... There have been so many situations I loose a line or stick it in the tree... The camso can just climb out with a blip of the throttle the Timbersled liked trenching more.. the last not is to me the camso has much more of a dirt bike feel to it ... The track is killer...I ride the mountains of Utah... I would never go back to the LT if I did a Timbersled I would run a St... For me you give up too much agility...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Had a 15 lt with a 16 track now own 2 Camsos... For me climbing and powder it is an animal... I am not a jumper.... There have been so many situations I loose a line or stick it in the tree... The camso can just climb out with a blip of the throttle the Timbersled liked trenching more.. the last not is to me the camso has much more of a dirt bike feel to it ... The track is killer...I ride the mountains of Utah... I would never go back to the LT if I did a Timbersled I would run a St... For me you give up too much agility...

Agree. 3rd season on my long track. Next kit will be a 121 or 129. The longtrack is still awesome and fairly agile, but the shorter tracks are more fun and really dont give up that much performance in deep snow.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I want to try a narrow rail 137x12" set up. The Camso monorail 129 feels like a short track its so easy to ride and it climbs better than a TS 137 or Yeti, I've tested it. The 137 track with wide spaced rails make the kits feels like a sheet of plywood back there. Combine that with an older frame design or a wide ratio tranny and you have a cruiser ride vs a nimble tree basher. Skis make a difference as well but IMO they aren't the deal breaker. All the new skis perform within 10 or 15 percent of each other now.

You really need to be honest with yourself about the type of riding you want to do or have access to before you make a decision more than have the internet try to figure it out for you. If you only get one deep 2 foot plus day a year the LT isn't the answer, if all you get are those dream days than maybe the LT is the answer.

I want to see a Snowtech 129 with a 2.5 Camso style track on narrow rail spacing. I don't think I could pass that up.

M5

E
Aug 28, 2017
I want to try a narrow rail 137x12" set up. The Camso monorail 129 feels like a short track its so easy to ride and it climbs better than a TS 137 or Yeti, I've tested it. The 137 track with wide spaced rails make the kits feels like a sheet of plywood back there. Combine that with an older frame design or a wide ratio tranny and you have a cruiser ride vs a nimble tree basher. Skis make a difference as well but IMO they aren't the deal breaker. All the new skis perform within 10 or 15 percent of each other now.

You really need to be honest with yourself about the type of riding you want to do or have access to before you make a decision more than have the internet try to figure it out for you. If you only get one deep 2 foot plus day a year the LT isn't the answer, if all you get are those dream days than maybe the LT is the answer.

I want to see a Snowtech 129 with a 2.5 Camso style track on narrow rail spacing. I don't think I could pass that up.

M5

So we normally get quite a bit of snow, the places I'll be riding the most are the Sumpter, Halfway, McCall areas. All generally have quite a bit of powder.

I'm not really a jumper either, you not going to catch me launching off cliffs or anything that you'd need a Skidoo Freeride for. I would however like to be able to play around and hop over a few small jumps without hurting anything. Is the Camso capable of this with the suspension that it has?

Lastly does any one that's come from a Yeti or TS and gone to a Camso noticed the extra weight? A guy could almost make that difference back up by going KTM instead of Yamaha.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Riding the Camso you don't feel the weight difference as it carries its weight pretty low, kind of like a fat a$$ vs a beer gut. I notice it a bit picking up the a$$ end in the shop. As far a suspension goes its a pretty basic setup. I think they have a big boy spring but I don't need it. I'm probably 200-210 full dressed with my pack and I don't really bottom it too much but I have on some big hits. I don't find the suspension progressive at all compared to my TS with the Raptor triple rate springs so you feel all the little bumps but that's not the same as bottoming. The Camso is not a bling kit at all, its really really basic but it just works. Is there room for improvement, yes absolutely lots and lots but its hard to not take a look at it for what they cost.

M5

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
For a powder kit.. I would pick camso all day long
.. which I have

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Rumor has it, yeti is testing a 5.5" rail, 12 inch wide camso style track in 137. Probably gonna be the cats meow. My yeti 137 is sooo much more nimble than TS it's silly. Feels just like a 129 to me.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Keep in mind that not all deep powder is the same from my experience the Idaho pow is way denser than my normal baseless utah snow. We had a 4 foot blower pow end of may storm and my 120sx flat handed it too the long tracks wide tracks and taller paddles. The base made all the difference. All the short tracks need to do is have enough float to get moving after that it's all horsepower and rider ability unless you just want to play himark all day then just buy a sled. I own both long and short and when there is any kind of base the short is more fun.

Premium Features