• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yeti front ski mount set up pure garbage?

M
Sep 19, 2016
Yeti front end

Been using yeti kits for four years and now renting. Never broke or had broken during rentals any carbon on the yeti package to date. If wrong spacers installed they will sort of fit but **** will break.Issues with new 18 ski's is change to lighter / shorter centre skeg which has now been addressed. Everybody tries to build a better mouse trap. Good luck with the mods. :face-icon-small-sho

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
how is it the wrong spacer? the guys that built the bike were professionals. this stuff is simple. its a basic front axle. no one screws that up. come on. this is no frankenbike built by some hackjob. whats going on with this ski I have no idea. I would LOVE to know. yes I did use my old spacers with the new center blade.

my first ride, I hit a decent, buried rock at noon. rode all day. few hours later did a minor water crossing... came out on just my fork legs. nothing harsh or crazy at all. not cool. second ride was nothing harsh. came back to it already being cracked. not impressed.

yeti carbon is a problem. id bet those are one of their top sellers as far as broken parts go:

SPINDLE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q: What happens if I crash and break a carbon fibre blade? How much is that to replace?
A: In two winter seasons of riding, we have sold less than a handful of carbon blades. The blades will flex a long way and return back to shape in the event of a crash. If they are flexed past their limit they will break, this is a serious event, such as hitting a culvert head on, or even a large rock head on. We have seen typically one blade break, but breaking all 3 could happen.
Each blade is $100 CAD funds or $75 USD.
Q: Will it dent my lower fork legs if I crash my bike?
A: We have had very few cases of the lower fork legs denting reported back to us. It can happen on extreme crashes. We have also witnessed in a large crash the carbon blade(s) will break saving the fork tube(s).

I can get all the part numbers tomorrow. all the replacement parts are directly from yeti, from a dealer/the guys that built the bikes. all the broken parts are directly from yeti. both the fork lug mounts also broke. one bolt broke, the other pulled the threads out.
The spacers are different and Have to be the correct OD where it presses into the center blade.There are at least 4 different part numbers that will fit the axle. The fact ewe don't even realize this is pathetic, Quit dancing around the facts, What is the spacers part number?, it is stamped on every spacer and what is the blade part number?. You do not have the correct spacers for that blade, And who ever put this together is hiding the fact that they may screwed up. Unless you provide truthful information ewe should be banned from the forum for attempting to diminish a company's reputation.

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Unless they engineered that piece as being sacrificial and designed it to break, which I don't know if they did or didn't, a better material would be a carbon/Kevlar hybrid. Carbon works in compression but has very little strength in tension. Kevlar works in tension which is what makes the hybrid weaves so bomber for this type of part.

M5

I think you are misinformed. Carbon fibers themselves are very strong in tension. Not as much in compression (ever try to push a rope). Compressive strength of a part made with a carbon fiber/resin matrix is largely based on the strength/amount of the resin.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
this piece has been holding up awesome so far. ive got about 5 rides on it, lots of crashes, and even a few decent jumps and almost landing flat. its solid!!! loving it.

I got one extra if anyone is interested/also having problems with their center blade.

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
The spacers are different and Have to be the correct OD where it presses into the center blade.There are at least 4 different part numbers that will fit the axle. The fact ewe don't even realize this is pathetic, Quit dancing around the facts, What is the spacers part number?, it is stamped on every spacer and what is the blade part number?. You do not have the correct spacers for that blade, And who ever put this together is hiding the fact that they may screwed up. Unless you provide truthful information ewe should be banned from the forum for attempting to diminish a company's reputation.

You have yet to provide the spacer and blade part numbers? To substantiate your claim that the spindle is junk we first need to see if You used the correct corresponding parts, As mentioned already if you use the wrong spacers for the center blade [ holes are different sizes ]it will fail.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
this piece has been holding up awesome so far. ive got about 5 rides on it, lots of crashes, and even a few decent jumps and almost landing flat. its solid!!! loving it.

I got one extra if anyone is interested/also having problems with their center blade.

It is no surprise why the CF center leg was failing. From your pics their is a gap between the fork leg and the right hand spacer (when sitting on the bike, left side as viewed in the pic). Your aluminum retrofit center leg will fail as well, as there is nothing holding it clamped and centered. Whether the forks are bent out / spread from not tightening the axle or the incorrect spacer was installed would need to be determined. But it ain't right and your fix is not a fix!

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
It is no surprise why the CF center leg was failing. From your pics their is a gap between the fork leg and the right hand spacer (when sitting on the bike, left side as viewed in the pic). Your aluminum retrofit center leg will fail as well, as there is nothing holding it clamped and centered. Whether the forks are bent out / spread from not tightening the axle or the incorrect spacer was installed would need to be determined. But it ain't right and your fix is not a fix!

Oh gee. Nice try capt obvious. You clearly don’t know a single fkn thing about Ktm and how their front axles work....especially if you think my fork legs have been spread apart a half inch. nice try though.

The fact that the previous poster thinks I’ve got the wrong spacers and center Blade is laughable. What’s wrong with you?!! I’ve posted the Center blade number already not sure where the numbers will be on the spacers. But I’ll publically bet you $1000 right now that they are the right ones and would match the microfiche I posted in the 1st post. To be blaming me/the builder using wrong parts for this **** center blade failing is a complete joke.its 1/4” diameter around the axle and carbon fibre ffs. these things aren’t rocket science. And you think a professional put this very simple kit together all wrong with all the wrong parts and spacers?? Give your head a shake boys. The carbon fibre couldn’t handle 45 mins of a beginner on flat ground. Broke first ride each time. This steel one has been bagged on and crashed on for 5 days straight now.

Last edited:
R
Apr 18, 2016
I'll bite....I don't have a horse in this race. That last set of pictures it looks like the spacer is short by the half inch or whatever. If the axle necks down and the spacer pressure is up against that axle I would have sure liked to see them mimic the axle with the spacer by having that neck as well but from the second picture it looks like the axle doesn't neck and the lateral force from that gap in the spacer would be transferred through the blades.

I don't have a KTM and I don't have a Yeti so I don't know dookie about either of these....but something in that (left staring at the picture, right sitting on the bike) spacer doesn't look right. It seems like that spacer should be all the way against the bottom of the fork tube so when its all clamped down together it is literally forced into not being able to move side to side.

Torch me if you want...It just doesn't look right.

Excalibur

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
Lewiston, ID
A few observations. I believe that Cory bought this bike used and did not do the first install. What happened is strange, could it be an incorrect spacer? Incorrect torque? Damaged from a hit? Or it just failed?
Either way he has as done a great job fixing it. Maybe Cory could of titled the post a little different. The YETI spindles are not junk. I have a YETI SS129 and two ARO 120s, attached to two KTMs and one Husqvarna. They all have performed great and no failures at all! The KTM/Husky bikes do have an axle with a step or shoulder on the right side of the bike (left side in front photos). The space is normal even on the ARO kits with correct spacers. (Photos attached). The axle does need to be installed and torqued correctly and checked. All fasteners need to be torqued to spec. Time for some of us to quit guessing about what we don't know and go ride:face-icon-small-coo

450 YETI SS 129.jpg 450 ARO.jpg 350 ARO.jpg

Last edited:
R
Apr 18, 2016
My bad, I see the step gap in all those photos...kind of figured it might be a step. I'd love to go ride, unfortunately all we have is dirt this year, I've been riding dirt but wish I could go attempt to break off a spindle on a ski. Either way I like the aluminum piece he built better than the carbon myself...I'm one of those rubber mallet anvil ruin-ers.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Have you ever heard the saying “A poor craftsman always blames his tools” ? The Yeti spindle is tough and built right. Its prob the strongest spindle out of the big three. For you to come on here and slag it is quite comical. If you hate it so much just sell it and move on. Your comments make me laugh ! Funny i have had two Yeti kits and have had some big hits and i have never had a cracked spindle. Then again maybe im not a beginner on the flats LOL

M
Nov 21, 2016
Unfortunately Cory isn't the only one to have this situation. I've also had the carbon center blade break on impact. I'm guessing my hit may have been even harder than his. The center spindle bent and the clamp bolts sheared off. It was REALLY COLD that day. I was actually feeling lucky that the fork tubes didn't bend or dent and the carbon snapped instead. But it does really suck to limp home on a broken spindle.

IMG_6263.jpg IMG_6264.jpg

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
Unfortunately Cory isn't the only one to have this situation. I've also had the carbon center blade break on impact. I'm guessing my hit may have been even harder than his. The center spindle bent and the clamp bolts sheared off. It was REALLY COLD that day. I was actually feeling lucky that the fork tubes didn't bend or dent and the carbon snapped instead. But it does really suck to limp home on a broken spindle.

That happened to me too. Exact same thing. It was also very cold out for me too. -29 that day. Maybe ti doesn’t like the cold?

But hey. It’s impossible though right. these skis are top of the line and we got guys with two kits!!!! a whopping TWO seasons on them with no failure:pound::pound: . Its GOTTA be us wrenching on it wrong. It’s just gotta be. There’s NO way yeti made a weak part in their system. No way. Impossible. Not if we got guys with two seasons on them. Boy that’s impressive. A sure test as to a products quality for sure. I bet my axle is finger tight. Blade is in upside down, and blade from a different bike too. And the wrong spacers. That’s gotta be it!!

clearly yeti has pallets upon pallets of these center blades for all us shade tree mechanics that can’t put together an axle causing them to break. Rightttt. Makes sense. I’ve been rebuilding 4 stroke bottom ends for nearly 10 years but can’t do a Ktm front axle eh. They can build two $40,000 custom snowbikes from the frame up, every year, but didn’t assemble the front ski right and with the right parts. That’s gotta be it!!! Makes total sense. There’s no way yetis 1/4” worth of carbon fibre material around the axle with the grain going the wrong way can break.

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
That happened to me too. Exact same thing. It was also very cold out for me too. -29 that day. Maybe ti doesn’t like the cold?

But hey. It’s impossible though right. these skis are top of the line and we got guys with two kits!!!! a whopping TWO seasons on them with no failure:pound::pound: . Its GOTTA be us wrenching on it wrong. It’s just gotta be. There’s NO way yeti made a weak part in their system. No way. Impossible. Not if we got guys with two seasons on them. Boy that’s impressive. A sure test as to a products quality for sure. I bet my axle is finger tight. Blade is in upside down, and blade from a different bike too. And the wrong spacers. That’s gotta be it!!

clearly yeti has pallets upon pallets of these center blades for all us shade tree mechanics that can’t put together an axle causing them to break. Rightttt. Makes sense. I’ve been rebuilding 4 stroke bottom ends for nearly 10 years but can’t do a Ktm front axle eh. They can build two $40,000 custom snowbikes from the frame up, every year, but didn’t assemble the front ski right and with the right parts. That’s gotta be it!!! Makes total sense. There’s no way yetis 1/4” worth of carbon fibre material around the axle with the grain going the wrong way can break.

again incredible, There are many different center blades with different size holes for the spindle spacers , Again you have to use the correct sized and part number spacer that corresponds with the hole size in the blade or that third contact point will not support the spindle and will break.Yes there are many backyard wrenches who hodge poge used parts together and don't notice this , They all will bolt up however failure will occur if the correct corresponding spacer is not used , There are 1,000 spindles that have been on the snow for years and without premature failures. The spindle and spacers have part numbers on them , its very easy to check and see if the correct corresponding parts were used, What are your failed part numbers? lets see if the claims made can be substantiated? If in fact you have the correct parts then your claim is valid, But posting failure's without taking ownership is just wrong if a mistake was made during installation.

Last edited:
N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
I’d bet your aluminum replacement plate weighs 2oz more than the carbon one. Maybe less. Carbon is almost always a poor replacement for properly used metal. Where carbon excels is where extreme flexibility is needed, like fishing poles, or where rigidity is needed over a large surface area, like body panels. Where it does not excel is flat plate strength. Just my opinion. I’ve worked with it a lot.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
Just sick of stupid posts is all I guess

Where are the part numbers on the spacers? please show me a pic of your spacers with numbers and ill do the same. They gotta be on the inside. I don’t see them. I know for a fact that they fit in there perfectly. Better start getting your next excuse ready.

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Okay, (me trying to be more helpful); in the first pics posted by both Excaliber and melachai (in this thread) you can see part number on the left spacer in both pics. You can see how and where Yeti machines the part number into the spacers. It is machined axially across the outer diameter (mine are both YPSP1027 just like melachai's, I can't quite make out Excaliber's part number). Unfortunately I have no reference to know what the #'s should be.

I bought my spindle used, to build my own one ski, so it will never see a bike again and will not be mounted to forks of any sort. If someone needs any of the following part numbers;
2@ YPSP1027 Front Axle Spacers
1@ YPSP1028 Rear Spindle Spacer
1@ YPSP1431 Left Outer Blade to Fork
1@ YPSP1432 Right Outer Blade to Fork
2@ YPSP1165 Outer Fork clamp halves

PM me an offer, Thanks!

A
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park AB
I know that bike and know the builder(Yeti rep). Those boys know their stuff so I would be surprised if wrong spacers are in but stranger things have happened. I am not sure why you are having these issues and am glad that you have it sorted but to say that this is a common issue is just not true. Search prior threads.... With the price of these kits, if this was common people would be crying murder. I ride with quite a few Yeti kits. Some guys ride hard, some don't but I've never seen or heard of this. I personally completely thrash all of my stuff. It is all maintained to a tee but when I am riding I ride with zero regard for breaking things. I have broken skid plates, rad guards, axles, axle mounts, suspension arms, destroyed my tunnel on three occasions and can't even count the number of times I have endo'd or yard saled over the bars on impact. Whole spindle still looks new. If you can't find the part numbers and are ever in Edmonton PM me and we can disassemble both and compare everything side by side as I am on the same bike.(no vice grips allowed though:face-icon-small-ton) I agree, it's simple for sure but something just doesn't seem right.

Last edited:
Premium Features