• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ordered a new ProLine SNO 714, the wait is now on

B
New ProLine SNO 714. Pics

My first new snowmobile/snowbike trailer has been ordered and now I will wait until on, or before, 02/22/2018 for it to be built. A silver, SNO 714, 2 place, drive on drive off ProLine. I'm excited.

Back in 2004, when I got my first new SkiDoo Rev, my buddy had a SnoPro clamshell that we used every weekend to get up and back to the trails in Pittsburg NH. For the last few years, we had a buddy who had a camp where we could leave our sleds in his shed and it was perfect, tow up once at the start of the season and once at the end of the season and that was it. I bought his old 1994 galvanized Yacht Club tilt, 96x96 trailer-now too narrow for the contemporary wide front ends of the sleds and only 8' long so my snowbike hangs off by about a foot or so. It is now showing its age and the last x-mas trip, all the dirty snow froze on the wires and pulled some out, then I had forgotten to put the tilt pin in and at 40 mph the deck was flying about in the wind. It was time for a new trailer for sure.

This past summer and fall I did give the trailer some love. I had spent $160 for two new sheets of marine plywood 1/2". Two new galvanized tires and wheels and it was looking and working good as it got a new Tie Down surelube hub axle a few years ago and I thought I could get by a few more years before getting a new trailer, I was wrong and it is ok.

I made the mistake after x-mas and went to the coin-op pressure washer to wash the bike of and all the water froze solid on the deck and it has stayed frozen ever since. Thankfully my brother in law and his worker were around this past Saturday night to help me get the bike up the tilted deck as it was all iced over. That was about the last straw. The other one was all the times I've had to do and undo the straps on the covers, that and the two sets of tiedown straps that get frozen with the dirty slush from the road, wind is blowing, it is cold, dark, and I'm out there dicking around with straps while the family is waiting, then my bike is getting sprayed by all the salt/road chemicals-no more. I had to drop the coin and get myself a nice enclosed and be done with it. I'll also be able to outfit the trailer for the dirtbikes in the summer and not have to worry about them at all during transport.

I'm psyched and will be looking forward to riding in then riding right out or at least rolling out of the trailer. No more me lifting the rear of the snowbike, then dragging the ski, having the ski **** to one side and the bike falling over-ugh. Even with the wheels on it was no party as it's a process getting the wheels on that way too.

As has been said, pay a LOT and cry once, then to save some money and crying twice from having to pay again.

Last edited:
B
I installed a Tekonsha, Prodigy P3 EOH brake controller last night. Thankfully my truck came wired with a brake controller harness so it was just a matter of getting the female-end of the harness, hooking it up to the P3, then just mounting the controller to the dash. It was all very easy and just a matter of crimping the 4 wires up to their respective spots in the harness.

I'll be looking forward to not having to drag the bike off the trailer every time I'm ready to go ride, never mind the on and off with the cover and all the straps. Then there is the strapping down of the gas cans . . . three more weeks or so till the new trailer is finished.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Wish I got an aluminium frame trailer way back when...instead I went all in for the low profile 6x12 Pace with a drawbridge rear door, steel frame. Low profile is great to store in the garage as it is just low enough to clear the garage door but the frame is starting to rust with this new found winter sport. Previously, I had only used it once in the winter but now it's 17 years old. Not too much rust but I'll have to get under it this spring to do a major re-paint of the frame so that it lasts with all this winter time driving for snow bikes.

Preventative maintenance. Does anyone have any suggestions to prolong the life of a steel frame trailer...or the truck for that matter? Special paints, oil sprays that actually work...?

B
Wish I got an aluminium frame trailer way back when...instead I went all in for the low profile 6x12 Pace with a drawbridge rear door, steel frame. Low profile is great to store in the garage as it is just low enough to clear the garage door but the frame is starting to rust with this new found winter sport. Previously, I had only used it once in the winter but now it's 17 years old. Not too much rust but I'll have to get under it this spring to do a major re-paint of the frame so that it lasts with all this winter time driving for snow bikes.

Preventative maintenance. Does anyone have any suggestions to prolong the life of a steel frame trailer...or the truck for that matter? Special paints, oil sprays that actually work...?

Back when I bought my first brand new snowmobile in 12/2003, a 2004 Rev, and riding with the guys every single winter weekend all through to 2009/2010, never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd buy an enclosed trailer for upwards of $7,000 as my new trailer will be going for just over $8K with all the options, but I don't want to be messing with anything for a long time and hopefully I'll expect to give the trailer to my boy and he can use it for another 10-15 years when I'm too old to be riding anymore, or sell it for a good price and get something back. I figure at $300 a month for 24 months at 5.99% won't hurt and will save me from all the crap that goes with an open trailer along with the most precious of all, Drive in, Drive out-my gosh, that will be the absolute best part, that and the bike binderz. At my BIL's, we can ride two different areas that are only 7 miles away but the hassle of loading/unloading and covering make it a chore. Life is too short for that hassle nowadays.

I'm shocked at how good the frame is on the 1994 Galvanized Yacht Club trailer that I've had since 2004 has been holding up. My buddy did have to replace the axle when it snapped from rusting at the u-bolts to the spring junction, but otherwise, it is quite sound.

I have read that either POR or any of the Farm/Implement paints work very well over rusted metal and the POR is Paint Over Rust. I have read many just go to the local Home Depot or Lowe's, I don't know what you got up there in Canada, but even the Rustoleum sells the Farm/implement paint and guys say that they paint right over the rust and the job is done.

B
I picked up the new trailer today and my oh my, it is even better than I had expected. I ordered the trailer blind, but it helps that at least around here, PROLine is considered one of the very best and I just wanted the best.

All aluminum construction. Most everything is 16" on center. 3/4 GP Drymax floor/deck. Seamless roof. 3 LED interior-nice and bright, lights. LED lighting on everything outside. Dexter galvanized torsion axles, electric brakes on all four wheels-the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 I had installed is working perfectly and I'm loving the electric brakes. 15" galvanized wheels with radial tires. I'm set up for many years of what should be trouble-free towing.

I already put my helmets into the cabinet and I can fit two more inside. I love the clothes rack/tie down hangars.

The RV door is also sweet and can be both locked and also deadbolted. I had them put the spare tire in the V and had them put E-Track along the lower walls on each side of the rear of the trailer so I can secure fuel jugs and tool boxes/bags-whatever. I know I'm going to put up more E-Track as the stuff is handy but I'll wait and see how it goes and where I might want it after I use the trailer some.

I do know I need to get some more of the Caliber decking for the front ramp as well as some more of the curved pieces but will see how it goes either riding or rolling the snowbike into and out of the front ramp before I do anything. I have a feeling it will be easier just using the front wheel kit for the DTS 129 and just rolling the bike either into or out of the trailer as opposed to riding the bike in or out and taking that chance of messing up. I'll see how it goes in the coming weeks as it seems like winter is leaving for a while as it will be in the 50's and 60's down where I'm at closer to Boston-30 miles north of Boston, whereas 120 miles north where I ride, it will be in the 40's for the upcoming week.

I didn't realize how easy the ramp doors go up and down, it is heavenly.

With the 8' open trailer I had, I could get 20-22 mpg. With the new trailer, empty, I got 16 mpg. Of course it weights more and just moves more wind, but to not have to deal with the covers and straps, and strapping everything down, and all the BS that goes along with an open trailer, after having done the math, I'll use 1.5 more gallons of fuel for my 120 mile one way trips. I'll gladly pay the difference. Already being able to just put things inside the trailer has been so, so, nice. Leaving my jackets and pants hanging and not needing to take the entire gear bag in and out of the truck, my gosh, it is all going to be so sweet.

P1010039.jpg P1010040.jpg P1010041.jpg P1010042.jpg P1010043.jpg P1010044.jpg P1010045.jpg P1010048.jpg P1010046.jpg

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Wow. That thing is nice! Are you going to put a heater in to dry your stuff out?

B
Wow. That thing is nice! Are you going to put a heater in to dry your stuff out?

Thanks. I'm in love with the thing. I've said it once, I'll say it 1,000,000 times after having used my open trailer for so long, loading and going, driving in and out is going to be so awesome compared to the open trailer deal.

I've been thinking of just getting one of those things that goes on the top of a 20lb propane tank and strapping it to the wall should I ever need to heat up the inside on some cold morning.

I didn't have either a 12V or a 120V system plumbed in so I wonder if there is a better/safer source of heat other than an extension cord and an electric heater. I'm now wondering if I should have sprung for the mfgr to have put in a 120V plug on the outside so I could have more easily plugged stuff in on the inside. Hmmmmm. Might be something I will regret either soon or someday.

B
Slowly but surely I've been getting the Caliber deck protection installed. I put down a 40' set of the low pro grip glides and like that they will allow the ski to glide on it as well as provide traction for both walking on the ramp and for the track as well.

I'm now waiting for a 40' set of the wide multi glides for the skis on the snowmobile and another set of the high flex glides to guide and protect the skis from the V in the front of the trailer.

I got a 2nd set of Bike Binderz, the snowbike kit and bought two extra sets of the L-Channel that I will install closer to the rear of the trailer so if I ever need to load the bikes/snowbikes from the front the mounts will already be in place.

I'm also going to install the mounts for the two sets of Pingel 3.5" wheel chocks I had on the open trailer so if I ever need to take along 2 more dirtbikes, for a total of 4, I'll be prepared as I can then use the eye bolts in the channels for the tie downs. It will be nice to be ready to take any combination of snowbikes, sleds or dirtbikes and go.

P1130589.jpg P1130588.jpg

B
Selling old trailer on Craigslist, let the good times roll!

I've had nothing but good luck selling my old stuff on Craigslist. It is because I'm usually either the only one selling something good, or my price is always the lowest for what I'm selling-I'm realistic and know that it will sell fast with the right price.

I put some good money into my old 8x8 galvanized trailer this past fall. New 1/2 marine plywood was already $80 per sheet x 2 sheets = $160-how is that for today's math lesson?

Axle with tie down sure lube hubs was replaced three seasons ago with new galvanized u-bolts, I have the trailer listed for $200 and a guy should be coming tonight to pick it up from 75 miles away as his current trailer is rotted out.

The Craigslist games have begun though and of course, the first reply just minutes after posting is for a check for well over the asking price is going to be sent, I cash it and get the proceeds after which the buyer will make arrangements for transport/shipping to the final destination-as if a $200 trailer needs to have a complex arrangement to have delivered.

Then I get an offer for a list of junk that does have an MSRP well over $1,000.00, we're talking new pipe benders, weed wacker, 20" bicycle, welding stuff-all this crap the guy has probably found on the side of the road, to trade for the trailer. I wanted none of it.

I was asked for my address so the buyer could send me a ". . . crisp $50 dollar bill . . . " and he could send me the rest after the next snowstorm so he could get the money from either plowing or shoveling snow to pay for the rest of the balance. The $150 just is not there right now.

It is funny the stuff that is offered for something that I think is already really cheap but some just don't have the money and in a way, I can understand.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Up here we use Kijiji...same sh**, different bag. I'm selling my F-150 after 20 years of good service, after buying a newer, bigger truck from a deceased friend of my brother's. So far two people have bought my classic Lariat flare-side truck, only to back out for reasons like; finding out it will not fit in their garage..etc.

I wonder sometimes if selling anything is actually worth it, if only for the entertainment value? When you think about it, if someone does not have the cash for a trailer, how do they have money for the toys to haul with it or gas for that matter?

Back to snow bikes; no recent snow here in Southern Ontario. Hoping for at least one last dump before the spring. Has anyone been out much in the Huntsville, Muskoka region?

B
Up here we use Kijiji...same sh**, different bag. I'm selling my F-150 after 20 years of good service, after buying a newer, bigger truck from a deceased friend of my brother's. So far two people have bought my classic Lariat flare-side truck, only to back out for reasons like; finding out it will not fit in their garage..etc.

I wonder sometimes if selling anything is actually worth it, if only for the entertainment value? When you think about it, if someone does not have the cash for a trailer, how do they have money for the toys to haul with it or gas for that matter?

Back to snow bikes; no recent snow here in Southern Ontario. Hoping for at least one last dump before the spring. Has anyone been out much in the Huntsville, Muskoka region?

We're getting a big snow up north starting sometime tomorrow, 1'-2' so I'm going to head up, with the new trailer of course, either tomorrow night or Thursday morning to ride Thursday.

I've had great luck selling everything I've posted for sale online, from my CBR1000, CR500R, propellers, anything and everything I've posted has sold for what I have wanted for it so to me it is worth it.

I know, we're talking about a snowmobile trailer for $200, that could probably be flipped for $3-400 but I like giving people a good deal for stuff that I just want gone. I'll see tonight if the guy who wants it will actually come and get it.

B
I'm letting a guy, who is driving down 75 miles, to take the trailer and leave me the $200 in an envelope under the doormat, talk about trust.

Hopefully the trailer will be gone and there will be $200 in an envelope along with the guys address so I can mail him the registration and a bill of sale.

B
My pessimism is going to be rewarded as our riding area will get from 7-24" of snow so I'll head up-in my new trailer(psyched), tomorrow night and ride on Friday. I will then come home after and go back up with my boy either Friday night or first thing Saturday morning so we can ride on Saturday or maybe Sunday as there will be a lot of snow up there after this upcoming nor-easter.

B
Finally. Towed the trailer last night. First on moist highway, then wet, then slushy and finally snowy roads as the further north I had gone, the more and more snow had fallen and fewer plows to get the snow off the roads. Still, the new trailer was fantastic as were the electric brakes as I have it dialed in. 14V or full boost and the "extra boost" set to level 2. The entire rig stops faster than when my truck is not towing anything, I love it.

I got from 14 mpg to 15 mpg on the highway. The empty trailer goes 2,150. Add my 500 lb sled. 300 lb bike and at least 500 lbs of extra crap in the trailer and I'm at just under 3,500 lbs.

Being able to ride in and out a couple of times today was sublime. Loading was even easier, especially the snowbike with the Bike Binderz. I love, love, luv, the Bike Binderz. I also love how I had run the Caliber low pro grip glides and how the ski slides right over it and how they also provide grip to the track. I look down to make sure that the footpegs are right over the center of the L-track, secure the Binderz on the footpegs and that is that. It seems that it takes more time to secure the sled than the bike.

Never mind that the day after a 2' snowfall, with perfect snow.

P1130653.jpg P1130646.jpg P1130640.jpg P1130622.jpg P1130607.jpg P1130604.jpg

B
I'm going to post to this thread for as long as I have this trailer because, well, an enclosed trailer is just awesome. I can't get over how easy it is to ride in on the Caliber grip glides-I love the grip glides more than anything as both the snowmobile skis, the tracks, the Camso DTS 129 carbides and skags and the track, glide right up into place, I get the Bike Binderz on the pegs, pin, cam down, pin and the bike is loaded. Getting the Binderz off and clutching the bike down and around the front V-Door ramp is a thing of beauty.

I think it has been a lot easier loading from the back and then exiting on the curb-side of the trailer than if I tried to load from the front and exit out the back so I will keep doing what I've been doing but at the same time I will install another set of Binderz so that if I ever did want or need to come in from the front and exit out the back I could.

Today I got to take both an Expedition Sport 600ACE and a Tundra 600ACE and they both fit perfectly in the 14' box and 4 1/2' V Nose.

I actually liked having a load in the trailer than it being empty as I never like how harsh everything feels when the trailer is empty but I will have to tow the empty trailer to the other farm/hayfield tomorrow morning although I will have the Mini Rev.

Something made the electric, Nevr Adjust Dexter drum brakes work better. I'm not sure if the shoes and drum just needed some time to get to know each other better, or if, when I hosed everything off from the last trip made them work better, but I had to turn the Boost down from Boost 2 to Boost 1 and then turn down the gain from the Maximum 13V down to, I think, 9.5V.

I now know that there is such a thing as too much boost as when there was too much, the trailer brakes would just come on too strong. Being able to adjust them with the Tekonsha P3 is a beautiful thing as I can set them just exactly like I want them=Loving It.

B
I have been loving this trailer, even more so this past spring, summer and fall as my daughter had enjoyed riding the JR50 so much we got her a TT-R 90. The wife liked riding the XR70 she had tried out that she bought herself a new TT-R 125 and we all used the trailer to get the bikes up to the hayfield to ride.

I might have one regret about it though and I did not see it coming and that is, I might wish I got the 716 to fit three full sized sleds as while I can fit the new Expedition 154 I got, and my Rev 121, and the kids new SnoScoot, I will not be able to get another full sized sled in or two sleds and a snowbike.

If it comes to it, i will have to sell the 714 and go up to a 716. I'll have to see how it goes with how the kids take to snowmobiling this upcoming winter.

Premium Features