• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trailer Hitch

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Need to be getting a hitch installed on one of my vehicles now that I am finally having a sled that runs. That and since the kiddos are getting a bike in the spring I will be needing a way to haul that around.

A truck isn't an option right now, nor is always trying to borrow a one so a hitch on the old mini-van it is.

So where should a guy be going to get one installed and what should I know about hitches?

I know I need one with the open receptacle as the kids bike will be hauled on a hitch ramp deal.

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
I just did some internet searching for Class III receivers. Started going to the sites listed, and simply plugged my vehicle into their search criteria.

Bought a hitch and bolted it up to my wife's Pacifica. It was a perfect fit, although a little tight getting it installed.

Been installed for about 3 years, the only problem was tapping into the taillight for the trailer plug. Didn't have a pre-wired tap like my pickup did.

xcpolaris

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
NW WI.
try a local RV dealer they install hitches and will wire up the tail lights
or try rigidhitch.com they are in the twin cities

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
they are super easy to install with just the basic tools and as far as the wiring goes check ebay they have just about everyone available

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Might have one from the old man off his old explorer. Just have to take a look under the van and see if it will work.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Might have one from the old man off his old explorer. Just have to take a look under the van and see if it will work.

The cost of an exact fit is well worth the investment.

You will hate life trying to make one work, even if it's close.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Well looking online it looks like I can order one fit for my van if I can't find one else where. hey all claim 20 minutes and a few bolts.

3500lb should be fine for sleds, bikes or a jet ski right?

They sell a 5k but the old van isn't even rated for that so I see no need for it!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Well looking online it looks like I can order one fit for my van if I can't find one else where. hey all claim 20 minutes and a few bolts.

3500lb should be fine for sleds, bikes or a jet ski right?

They sell a 5k but the old van isn't even rated for that so I see no need for it!

I'm guessing the 3500# takes a 1 1/4" stub?
If the 5000# takes a 2" it would be handier.

Premium Features