• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Symptoms of a failing tps?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Ive been having some issues with my sled, I have an air fuel gauge. I've been having this issue for a while now. It's been throwing the detonation code when I'm giving it on and off the throttle and now.

Light throttle, just off idle and light cruising she leans right out, today I left the truck and she ran great for the first 15km or so, air fuel was 14-15:1 down the trail, then I threw the detonation code and noticed my air fuel was going way beyond 17:1, out of range on my a/f suddenly under the same conditions. when I hit the throttle I'm getting a lean stutter the odd time as well like she's trying to Rev up but not getting the fuel. I had a few times as well that after sledding the sled wouldn't start on the truck when I went to unload it randomly.

She has a brand new fuel filter. Injectors are good. I had replaced the tps with a used one and I think I had one ride on the sled then parked it for the summer so I don't recall how it ran.

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
Ive been having some issues with my sled, I have an air fuel gauge. I've been having this issue for a while now. It's been throwing the detonation code when I'm giving it on and off the throttle and now.

Light throttle, just off idle and light cruising she leans right out, today I left the truck and she ran great for the first 15km or so, air fuel was 14-15:1 down the trail, then I threw the detonation code and noticed my air fuel was going way beyond 17:1, out of range on my a/f suddenly under the same conditions. when I hit the throttle I'm getting a lean stutter the odd time as well like she's trying to Rev up but not getting the fuel. I had a few times as well that after sledding the sled wouldn't start on the truck when I went to unload it randomly.

She has a brand new fuel filter. Injectors are good. I had replaced the tps with a used one and I think I had one ride on the sled then parked it for the summer so I don't recall how it ran.
Sounds like mine when I had bunk fuel

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Sounds like mine when I had bunk fuel

Oh really hey? Hmm, you'd think it would do that even in boost? Boost fueling is great but the stock system seems to be having the troubles. I've been going to the same high volume gas station that sells good fuel (chevron) and I mix a small amount of av gas in as well.

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
Oh really hey? Hmm, you'd think it would do that even in boost? Boost fueling is great but the stock system seems to be having the troubles. I've been going to the same high volume gas station that sells good fuel (chevron) and I mix a small amount of av gas in as well.
I was getting really weird afr readings me det codes out of nowhere. I also was using a very high volume station. I use the same fuel in my truck and it showed 21 percent ethanol on my tuner. Wouldn't hurt to try another gas station.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Make sure you replace fuel filter, I had fuel filter restrict and cause lean condition and lost two pistons. Lean scoring on intake side and it was not snow intake caused and I was getting DET and thought it was caused by lack of octane so I was using 20% av 100LL with 91 no-eth but octane was not problem, it was fuel filter restriction!! Bad on ME !
gtwitch in wyoming

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Thanks for the input guys, new fuel filter, did it before the fuel filter, I have another 11 pro rmk that I fueled up there every time as well and a ski doo xm, same fuel, 94 octane ethanol free, they haven't had any issues fuels wise, I'm fairly sure it's not the fuel.

And unfortunate on your sled having a melt down due to the filter :/ lucky I have my gauge to see that I'm lean.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Get an analog ohm meter and check the resistance of the TPS all the way through it's range to see if it is smooth and increases steadily. You can use a digital meter too but analog is easier to see if there is something amiss.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Get an analog ohm meter and check the resistance of the TPS all the way through it's range to see if it is smooth and increases steadily. You can use a digital meter too but analog is easier to see if there is something amiss.

Good info, I don't think I've seen a analog one in years! I don't know if it would be easily spotted or say rough contacts, a oscilloscope would work great for something like this I'm sure. But I don't have one haha!

Premium Features