• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wet sled

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
Fiancé dropped her 16 axys into a creek today. Clutch side. Shut off before it got to water but water came in through intakes. Pulled plugs once we got it out and pulled it over about 100 times or more. Never tried to start it after that. Tearing apart sled currently, what special steps should I take before putting back together.

Pull motor? Change oil? Fuel? Split case? Haven’t messed with sled motors a lot, so want to make sure I don’t destroy it if it’s not already.

Any info or tips are very much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
a3cff4d7cab815035d2678f5c3d63978.jpg

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
I did a lot of back yard watercross 10 years ago.
Every time out, somebody's sled would go down and sometimes a complete submerge.
We always drug them out, pull plugs, tip on side and pull rope until the water quit blowing out the holes. Tip upright, throw the plugs back in, and pull til it starts. Back on the water in 10 minutes or less depending on whether or not we had to drain gas tank.

The best thing you can do is run it right away. This will extract all moisture and relube all internal moving parts. Everything else should dry out and since it was fresh water, it's really no different than snow melt. I live in the PNW and not uncommon to ride in the rain until getting higher up. Pull them on open trailer in pouring rain without covers all the time. Sleds get soaked inside and out here but doesn't bother them.
Your oil is probably just fine too. At the angle it was sitting, the oil would have been trying to leak out. The ckeck valve in the cap should prevent that also blocking any water from getting in.
Pretty low cost repair to evacuate the oil and pour fresh in for peace of mind though.

Last edited:

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something.

Fired up right away after cleaning it out in the garage and drying all the electrical connections and greasing those as well.

Originally, my plan was to tip it on the snow to empty case and blow out all the water. The only other guy I was riding with is more of a motor head than me, and basically thought there was no chance it’d start. After as long as it took and as much effort that was exerted getting the sumbish out of chit creek, I wish I would’ve spent time getting it started there. We thought it was going to be an easier effort towing and were trying to get out quick with wet boots and legs. 5 hrs to get to the truck has me second guessing everything lol.

Luckily it was early in the day and we got back with plenty of light and no one was hurt.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Dang. You guys majorly over reacted.

Pull it out of the creek, get it on the skis, slowly pull the rope to make sure there isnt any water in the cylinders and then fire it up. Put new plugs in if it doesnt start right away. Then keep on riding.

You dont need to dry out anything, its not like you sunk it in a lake. Everything gets wet all the time, even water/snow in the intake and air box.

Looks like you had some good snow too.... I bet that sucked towing it out!

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
Yep, it was a pain in the ***. There was lots of water in the cylinders though, Pto especially. Wish I would’ve trusted myself and tended to it there. Plenty of good snow left untracked and a ****ty ride out. Lesson learned the hard way.

dboe03

Lifetime Membership
Mar 31, 2014
Fargo, ND
Note to self: Do not buy a wife ridden, gently used blue Axys RMK from Cheyenne, WY next fall. JK!

I've always been a little curious as to what would be too much water for these sleds as we ride in spots where water crossing rivers and creeks is common and I'm always a little nervous if I tipped it (pretty much like your picture showed) and if that would be causing major issues. Glad you posted this as now I know to just get water out slowly and run it as quickly as possible. Makes sense!

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
Hahaha no doubt! I've seen plenty of sleds submerged and like mentioned above, running as soon as they get the water dumped out and cleared out of the motor. I think I just didn't have the confidence that I had all my bases covered before trying. I hear about all of the electrical issues with the Axys and that was more of a concern than anything I think.

I did everything I could to get all the water out though and don't think I'll have any issues moving forward.

Premium Features