• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yeti set-up ???

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Is there a set-up thread specific to Yeti kits? Namely 17/18 with soft strut and latest spindle/ski combo. Im curious what everyones experiences are with changing front suspension mount positions, pre-load, track relation to shop floor (level, high in back,front).
I feel like I am trenching more than I should, but I am not sure why. Currently 137, front mounts in the highest hole, track level to shop floor. Havn't played with pre-load, but moving front suspension mount definetly improved my on trail manners, not that thats key, but it was sketchy in its stock form. Handles awesome now, just feel like Im not getting the best float/propulsion.

Y
Jan 22, 2018
Id like to know the same. Not alot of info on setup anywhere. I just bought a used 2016.5 120" with the RRS and raptor shocks. the previous owner had the front suspension in the lowest hole and I couldn't get anywhere near the recommended rail lift without completely unthreading the rod from the RRS shock.. This is my first snowbike and id like to have a decent setup so I can get a proper feel for the kit... Let me know if you find anything

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Yesterday we had a long frozen approach to get to the goods. Mix of bulletproof frozen road and crusted over powder. My Yeti was a complete handfull. Miserable really. Ski was biting into the snow so hard that the track wanted to spin on the road, then wild unpredictable ski action in the crust. I played with some different settings to try to counteract the conditions. Middle hole for front suspension arm was definetly the best. I ended up with the rear of skid up 3/8". Also helped to put 10# in the airpro. I had heard complaints about yeti ski doing crazy stuff but never had experienced it until yesterday. I hate to say it but the Aro's seemed to have the best ski of the day.

Y
Jan 22, 2018
How much better did it handle on the crust once you raised the rear up a bit? any noticeable difference in handling once you got into some decent powder with that setup? I'm going to spend some time playing and trying to dial in my setup this weekend, snow conditions are pretty crunchy where I am right now. I'll post my results and maybe if we get enough people replying we can start to share some info on how to make this ski work on frozen snow..

A
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park AB
I've tuned and tuned and tuned and the crusty snow just seems to be the 1 condition that the Yeti just struggles in. I found a nice sweet spot where I can ride a trail/packed spring conditions moto style pinned all day and have great powder performance but can't find a way to make it behave in the crusty conditions. It's like wrestling a damn buffalo all day. If those are the conditions. I just don't go anymore.

M
Sep 19, 2016
Yeti set up

I was on yeti snow mx there is a lot of set-up video's on every part of their systems. I'm in the middle hole on the front suspension bracket and 4 /10 of an inch up on the back. That's on a 500 Ktm set-up

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I think that the ski is the only issue. It flat dominates in good conditions, but when conditions go south, I may be mounting a dif ski. Its just too aggressive. It hunts and on last ride the center keel was digging into the hardpan soo hard it was causing the track to want to spin which amplified things.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I think that the ski is the only issue. It flat dominates in good conditions, but when conditions go south, I may be mounting a dif ski. Its just too aggressive. It hunts and on last ride the center keel was digging into the hardpan soo hard it was causing the track to want to spin which amplified things.

I thought a lot of guys were grinding down the yeti skags a bit also.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Are any of you that are running your rear end high using the RRS shock?

Man it would be really high after the RRS sags.

Not a fan of the RRS for me being a big fat guy. Only time i like it is on flat whooped out trails, any other areas including smooth trails i'd rather have solid strut.

Maybe the soft strut is the happu medium?

Anyways, i get along great with the Yeti ski on crust and hardpack. Only thing mine doesn't like is wet spring snow, then it wants to bulldoze the wet snow.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I feel like I want to try another brand ski. Just to see how it handles the crap snow. I know the yeti ski owns the deep days, but it may be too much in thick snow.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I thought a lot of guys were grinding down the yeti skags a bit also.

The 17 Yeti ski works awesome after grinding down all the runners, It has the round bar in front. The 18 is even worst than a stock 17 due to the round bar being removed..The 18,s all get the Service bulletin update and the 17 runners so simple grind her down and it will work very well even on the icy trail.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
When you say grind down, do you mean lowering the profile of the entire runner? I had a 16 yeti last year, and I relieved the front profile of the center runner based on info found here. It worked great. Not sure we had these conditions last year though.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
When you say grind down, do you mean lowering the profile of the entire runner? I had a 16 yeti last year, and I relieved the front profile of the center runner based on info found here. It worked great. Not sure we had these conditions last year though.

take 1/2 the height off all the runners, even the sides, This is on the center runner with the round bar, Not the 18 runner which was recalled

Y
Jan 22, 2018
yeti's need rake. you want the back lugs of your track about 3/4-1" off the ground.

Is that with the fixed strut? I ask because the previous owner of mine had the front suspension arm in the lowest hole and track was roughly 3/4" high in the rear when I first installed it (RRS strut) Maybe he was onto something.....
I took my bike out today, I ran the middle hole with track raised 1/8" in front. Grinded down my middle skag level and I still had some darting and grabbing in the crust. I'm a newbie and just learning the sport so I've got some playing around to do before I can start trying to dial this setup in. Super fun though! I'm hooked

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
yeti's need rake. you want the back lugs of your track about 3/4-1" off the ground.

I have heard people saying this recently, however, even with 1/2" off the ground in the back it has almost too much ski lift at times. Optimal powder riding set-up is definetly different than spring riding set-up. I will be trying the trimmed runners on 17 ski with a little more transfer next time. Will report back. Looks like its time for Yeti to develop a new ski heh?

Premium Features