• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

501 or FC490???

A
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park AB
Hey guys going to do a new build next week and was almost 100%certain I was going with a new left over 2016 FC450 but have also heard some guys talking that the newer 501s are pretty amazing when uncorked. The builds would be as follows.

2016 FC450
- 490 thumper kit with 14.5-1
- DLC coated wristpin
- Crower camshaft
- ported head
- full fmf system
- PR2 ECU
- intake pod
- 6 speed transmission conversion

2017 FE501
- typical uncorking
- fuel filter
- fuel lines
- remove intake reed
- full FMF system
- intake pod
- PR2 ECU

I don't want input on the price of these two builds. Let's keep it to the overall finished product. Anybody have any real world experience comparing the two with these setups? I have ridden the older generation 501s and though they had a tonne of torque I found them quite lazy. I am hearing numbers such as 72hp on the dyno from the 501 with these mods. For reference a stock 2017 FC450 pulled 59hp on the same dyno on same day(I don't get too wrapped up if factory hp numbers). Unfortunately I have no dyno numbers for the 490 setup to compare.

I also understand that frame geometry play a part in proper handling and the two are fairly different. I haven't spent any time on the new 501. Any feedback on this would be great.

Both options will be sporting a yeti 129 and be a dedicated snowbike. I have no interest in switching to summer gear as I have track bikes and see no need for that kind of power on the dirt. I am coming off a 2014 SXF450 with 520 and six speed.

Throw me your thoughts fellas. Cheers.

K
Oct 13, 2017
I’m on a 17 500 (husky is a white KTM) with TS LT. Raze ECU, emissions delete and exhaust end cap.
I rode a 18 YZ450 with 120 ARO and my bike felt like a dump truck after. The Moto bike was much more lively.
In deep snow I was able to climb higher than him though.

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015
I’m on a 17 500 (husky is a white KTM) with TS LT. Raze ECU, emissions delete and exhaust end cap.
I rode a 18 YZ450 with 120 ARO and my bike felt like a dump truck after. The Moto bike was much more lively.
In deep snow I was able to climb higher than him though.

I had pretty much the exact same experience with similar bikes a couple weeks ago. I would expect the difference to be less pronounced with the same track on either bike, but the 500 will be less zippy.

Premium Features