• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TS Chain Tension

K
Oct 13, 2017
Installing a 16 LT w/TSS on my 17 500EXC. Fitment said use 13T sprocket. Wasn't happening way too tight.
I took the stock chain (520 also) and cut it down to be 1 link longer than the TS chain. WAY too loose.
Put a 12T sprocket on and all seemed well until I put the correct tension on it and the thing is hitting the paddle on the track.
Backed it off a little and I rode it around the yard a few times but I can only imagine its going to stretch some more.

Are guys cutting a little more out of the paddles to allow for the tensioner to go down little further? Maybe ride with it loose till I can get the 13T back in?

Any suggestions/experience would be appreciated!

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
You probably figured this out already but you have to let all the air out of the TSS in order to get the chain on and that it is still tight.
If you tried that and it didn’t work, then I guess you have no choice but to run it with the 12 for a while. It won’t matter that it hits the paddles a little bit. Mine had stretched and was hitting the paddles a ton until I just put a new chain on. It dinged up my paddles a little but I don’t really care. I rode it for quite a while before it did damage.

K
Oct 13, 2017
Yes I let all the air out just to see where it was at and it would just barely go on. Id rather have a loose chain slapping the paddles than damage the countershaft bearing.

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Pretty neat ain't it
I've fought with this issue a ton, I ended up adding material to the chain slider to take up more slack to keep the chain out of the track. The chain and all will wear after a few rides and then u can maybe fit the tighter gear back on

Racin station also sells a thicker chain slider, I got the idea from him

IMG_2611.jpg IMG_2612.jpg IMG_2610.jpg

DBRK

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2008
Bozeman MT
I had the same problem on my '17 kit which I think uses the same style tensioner. I ended up drilling new holes for the tensioner bolt bracket and flipping the tensioner pulley over 180 degrees. It allowed me to put way more tension on the chain without hitting the track. Try flipping the tensioner around and looking at the chain line, you'll see what I mean.

M

MountainRider05

Nov 29, 2007
Kennewick,WA
I had the same problem on my '17 kit which I think uses the same style tensioner. I ended up drilling new holes for the tensioner bolt bracket and flipping the tensioner pulley over 180 degrees. It allowed me to put way more tension on the chain without hitting the track. Try flipping the tensioner around and looking at the chain line, you'll see what I mean.

Can u post pics!!??

DBRK

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2008
Bozeman MT
Here’s the only photo I have on my phone. I can take some more tomorrow.

You can see the old mounting holes for the tensioner bolt bracket on the left.

56F0AC1D-49B2-4A7B-B4EA-9D6672AAA9CB.jpg

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
oh bad

your problem is the reason they don't make that kit any more, bad config on engine sprocket to kit.
'
most riders start by running the tooo low geared `12t bike sprocket for awhile, then the chain wears and they can run a 13 to 17, then that often gets loose and the chain begins to hit the track, then turning the slack adjuster around works, and cutting a deeper relief in the track which you won't give up anything doing that.
I took the bike to kit chain adjuster off on my first TS lashup and shortened the strut (which brings the sprockets closer together ), and ran it short for a couple of rides until my chain was wearing.

Also this issue varies from kit to kit because of the wide range of kit tolerances, and 1/16 of an inch maks a heck of a difference. Just LUCK of the DRAW when you buy. The two stroke KTMs seem to be the worst, my xcw was better than my pals SX, work in progress at the time.

Premium Features