• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Injector relocate

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Thumbs up to Tony !

Lots of ideas & thoughts happening after talking with Tony yesterday.

Last winter riding with Tony, we were doing a little late night shop talk & chatted about how great it would be for motor longevity if the injectors were moved to a new location where fuel could return back to the crankcase like the Polaris 2005 900 motor. ( Very similar
to how a carburetor delivered the fuel ) - and the benifits of a wet crankcase again to help suspend injector oil with cold fuel in the case.

I said how I wanted to someday try this on the PRO 800 motor.....Tony looked at me with the look only Tony can give you......( Quote ) - I already started the project !

Understand the magnitude of this at the moment ! Things like this can be talked about, they can even be done.......& implemented into testing......if done by the wrong person or company the results can be so different in the beginning and the end for that matter.

As much as this project had interested me on the 800 CFI -2 ... I just couldn't wrapped my head around it for a few reasons .....

#1 - geographic reasons
#2 - adequate time to test enough to make sure it works at elevation.

( The planets all seemed to align ) - Tony is one of the few people that I know that fits all the requirements to pull this off.

Considering All the complications Tony has battled this season I had my doubts you could get this to the snow this year.

I have been playing around making several proto types on a 3D printer with mixed thoughts.

Tony & I talked yesterday and I think we both feel its going to have to be a
Plastic or rubber coated part for long term use.

I will be working on this project through out the summer, Hoping Tony gets more spring snow to keep on testing.

And so far this is exactly what I wanted to see.....I really wanted it done with the stock Polaris fuel map.

The high idle doesn't surprise me, once the injector leaves the transfer port and moves to the pre-reed area fuel puddling in the crankcase is needed to prevent what I called years ago as a ( hang idle ) ........where the motor is using all of the fuel from the pilot circuit & needle jet bleeding by the needle and has nothing left to puddle in the crankcase to help with idle control & help as an accelerator pump when the throttle is hit from a dead stop. ( back in the day you would feather the choke to idle the motor down ) - causing the case puddle.

CONGRATS TO TONY ! This is an epic adventure !

And I believe it can take piston & ring life in a mountain environment to lengths not thought possible.

Dan

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Makings of new industry standard aftermarket kit here for the CFI2. Lots of different ways to twist this, tho expanding the testing across elevations, platforms, and materials/designs is likely in order, next, unless the goal is just to dabble. Or sell/joint venture the IP, tho it likely has low protection and value right now. Just sharing observations. We all love the innovation. Old guys rule.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Should be able to add enough fuel from 0 to 5% throttle above 3000rpm to get a puddle going with a simple boony box. Replace the vacuum fuel draw with mechanical.
Still got a month left Tony. Keep it going eh. Awesome.

Mr.Dan. Just get building manifolds and rails already. You'll be able to up your warranty to 4 or 5 yrs lol.
We're not getting any younger out here and I believe the ol' Pros will go they way of the ol' Phazer. You know, kind of a friendly family heirloom to keep around.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Should be able to add enough fuel from 0 to 5% throttle above 3000rpm to get a puddle going with a simple boony box.

George,
If the Polaris program shuts the injectors off on decel a piggyback controller won't work.
The issue arises when you coast in from a full throttle run after you chop the throttle. If it were flat slides a 55 pilot would do the trick.:face-icon-small-win
It doesn't hinder throttle response or cause any running issues. It's just annoying, still a little fuel in the case would be good.

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Tony. I ran 9% added fuel at 0% throttle (from 4000 to 8500) before I added some Av gas to cure the issue. At 13% I fouled the plugs to the point of misfire at any rpm. BP8 ey's to help.
That was still squirting at the plugs though.

If the Lectrons I got fit, they would be in lol.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Tony. I ran 9% added fuel at 0% throttle (from 4000 to 8500) before I added some Av gas to cure the issue. At 13% I fouled the plugs to the point of misfire at any rpm. BP8 ey's to help.
That was still squirting at the plugs though.

If the Lectrons I got fit, they would be in lol.

Thanks George, I agree with the carbs. Already looked at doing it with the old big block ignition

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
LOL....Leave it to my older school brothers to talk about carbs...

I love fuel injection...

Interesting Dan brought up the 2005 Polaris 900...Had the CFI-4 small block been copied from the 2006 Polaris 900, it may not have had the runnability issues it had.

I can only think the reason why the CFI-2 wasn't copied from the 2005 Pol 900 was emissions?

Glad to see this going Tony...Maybe Jack or Justin have a reflash that might work? I'd hate to see you have to go with that Vipec.

The Power Commander has an accelerator pump feature? Would that possibly help?

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
LOL....Leave it to my older school brothers to talk about carbs...

I love fuel injection...

Interesting Dan brought up the 2005 Polaris 900...Had the CFI-4 small block been copied from the 2006 Polaris 900, it may not have had the runnability issues it had.

I can only think the reason why the CFI-2 wasn't copied from the 2005 Pol 900 was emissions?

Glad to see this going Tony...Maybe Jack or Justin have a reflash that might work? I'd hate to see you have to go with that Vipec.

The Power Commander has an accelerator pump feature? Would that possibly help?

Trying to stay away from the Vipec.
I've been on the phone pretty steady trying to find a fix that will add fuel on decel. So far no one has a controller with the ability or will help with a reflash. I still have a few calls to make. I'll get it done. Like I said it's not an issue so far, just annoying.
I did look at putting the injectors in the bosses that are cast in the case but wanted fuel through the reeds.
Thanks, it's good to have it on the snow.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Any updates on this project?

Have any luck finding a way to richen up on decel only?

I could definitely see this mod. taking off in a big way......

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Any updates on this project?

Have any luck finding a way to richen up on decel only?

I could definitely see this mod. taking off in a big way......

We’ve been riding it as is, around 500miles now. It’s a little annoying. But runs great.
I’m having so much fun riding, I put the controller option on the back burner along with putting my turbo back together.

Premium Features