• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 Pro 800 Electrical Issues

H

Hansen13

Oct 22, 2011
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
Running into issues and I'm lost on where to go next. Sled keeps blowing out headlights, then the handwarmers get EXTREMELY warm to the point where i have to throw snow on them to cool them down. But don't want to shut them off without working headlights. I've replaced both voltage regulators, and it did not cure the issues I'm having. Sled runs great no other issues but this and I'm worried it's going to wreck something else. What is the function of the capacitor, or maybe I need to add a ground/make existing grounds better? Any help or info is appreciated, thanks!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Bad Voltage Regulator most likely.

May be a bad ground too.

The one mounted to the overstructure on the Mag side of the cross tube... NOT the one on the clutch cover.

Fortunately those are inexpensive.

H

Hansen13

Oct 22, 2011
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
Bad Voltage Regulator most likely.

May be a bad ground too.

The one mounted to the overstructure on the Mag side of the cross tube... NOT the one on the clutch cover.

Fortunately those are inexpensive.

I’ve replaced the overstructure mounted voltage regulator already two weeks ago. Is it possible it was faulty.? Would it benefit me to add another ground from chassis to block?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Anything is possible these days.... and a VR could have been bad from new.

Check the bundle of ground wires that go to the bumper mount tab on the overstructure to see if the tab is intact (try to move it with your hand).... then, check also your stator connector... the one that comes from the engine with the yellow wires in the bundle.

Some have posted pics of burnt connectors on here from the stator

Check the connectors at the switches on the console to make sure they are positively seated.

Premium Features