• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1989 Yamaha Ovation 340 restoration... worth it?

A
May 31, 2013
The question I kept asking myself is this project worth the time and hidden money or should I just look for a nicer sled?

I found a pair of 1989 Ovation 340s for sale on the classifieds. Both run but one is parts only due to bent frame. I could pick them both up for about $400. I have never done a full restoration on a sled or any power sport machine, but I am handy with a wrench and not afraid to learn as I go.
The plan is to use this sled for my son's first sled. He is only 1 and 1/2 right now so I have a few years to complete this. I want to rebuild it from the ground up. I have not seen either of these machines in person but the pictures look pretty good (hood and side panels are complete, not cracked). Between the 2 machines it appears I would have at least one complete sled (due to one missing windshield, seat and exhaust).
I have been searching the internet and have seen lots of parts on different classified and ebay (so other missing parts or replacements should be available to an extent). Another question I had is that Ovation 340 the same motor as other yamaha sleds made around that time period? Just wondering for parts compatibility.

Thanks

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Small kids sleds are getting harder and harder to find around here. I picked up a 340 Indy Lite almost 10 years ago and there are some rolling through the classifieds but still, getting fewer. I also picked up a 440 SKS liquid for a decent price about 7 years ago as the next step sled after the 340. I have yet to find another one similar.

The Yamaha 340 was a fair sled for kids as they could start riding them at an early age/body size. If it were me, I would pick the pair up and build a nice sled out of one, take the hard parts off the parts sled and get rid of the chassis since it is damaged anyway. I would look for take off plastic skis and put a 136" track with 1-1.25" lug track on it and shine it up for the kid. If neither have it, I think I would search out electric start as well as that makes it sure nice for kids.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
^ What he said.
There's a recent thread in here, guy just did one up for his kid, looks pretty cool.
Nice older fan sleds are not dime a dozen but they're still around.
It's a fun project if you WANT to tear it down and redo it, but remember that for around $1000 you can get a little sled that doesn't need any work and may be long tracked already if that's part of your plan.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
sounds like a good deal if the runner doesnt need much as it sits. it may not need a restoration unless its been beat, these older yamahas were built well.
I prefer the older leaf sprung 340s, theyre a little lighter.

A
May 31, 2013
Thanks for the replies. I think I am going pick the pair of them up. I don't think those 120cc sleds are worth the money. I can always put a block behind the throttle to slow it down.

As far as a long track option I think I will leave it as a 108" as long as the track is in good shape. Then maybe after he has ridden it for a little while I will put a longer track under it. I saw a thread where someone put a phazer skid and track under one and it looked pretty sweet.

I agree with the electric start as well. I am not sure if either of them had it but found some parts for electric start on Ebay.

I know after all said and done I prolly could go spend $1000 on a new indy lite or something like that but I think this will be a fun project. Once he is old enough to help with the build I hope that it will teach him a little respect for the sport and you have to bust a few knuckles to enjoy the ride.

S
Sep 28, 2009
I need some parts im also building a sled 1993 Yamaha Ovation for my 10 year old son. I need that rubber exhaust boot that takes the hot air out into the s windshield area. Would you have an extra one?

Feel free to email me If you have one kcirwin@gmail.com

thanks,
Casey

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going pick the pair of them up. I don't think those 120cc sleds are worth the money. I can always put a block behind the throttle to slow it down.

As far as a long track option I think I will leave it as a 108" as long as the track is in good shape. Then maybe after he has ridden it for a little while I will put a longer track under it. I saw a thread where someone put a phazer skid and track under one and it looked pretty sweet.

I agree with the electric start as well. I am not sure if either of them had it but found some parts for electric start on Ebay.

I know after all said and done I prolly could go spend $1000 on a new indy lite or something like that but I think this will be a fun project. Once he is old enough to help with the build I hope that it will teach him a little respect for the sport and you have to bust a few knuckles to enjoy the ride.

A

AMAX

Dec 22, 2014
My 10 year old loves his long track Ovation. He weighs around 100# and goes all over the place. The sled generates a lot of questions and a lot of thumbs up on the mountain. Thinking about some better foot boards and a 1.25" track this summer.

Premium Features