• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

99 PS clutch engagement

ThSimpson

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2012
Holyoke, Colo
99 PS, 700 Carb
Runs great +70mph flats at 10,000ft.
The issue is that the kid rides it (13yrs, he wont go over 50mph) It seem that you have to rap it up to about 4000-4500 before it starts to move. (its loud to with a rumble pack on it) When it does move it is nice and easy but it has some RPM to go with it. (Unlike the King cat that you ease into the throttle and it creeps along) Is this just the way it is on the PS? He keeps eying my Dragon:face-icon-small-sad. He just would like it to take off with out reving it up so much. Clutch was rebuilt at dealer 2yrs ago, I did not have a problem with how it took off so I did not ask for any changes. (the guy before must have rode trails had some flat spots from holding same RPM) has not changed how it starts moving over the 2 years.

So what do look at clutch weights, spring? ( I am not sure what is in it now)

Thanks

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Take a look at what's in it currently (primary and secondary clutch) and let us know. Generally I'd say put a softer spring in the primary for lower engagement.

That 700 should have enough low end torque to pull a lower engagement than 4k.

ThSimpson

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2012
Holyoke, Colo
Yellow

It looked like both springs are yellow. I can see not color stripes on them.

Thanks for your help

Thom Simpson

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Primary is probably a yellow/green, I would switch to a cat gold spring which would probably drop you to 3400 to 3500 engagement rpm and still finish about the same as it is now.

Premium Features