• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Other options to BCA link Radio? (Upgrading to HAM/VHF)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I wonder if that would work. My antenna sticks out about two inches out of my avy pack, and the radio is in the bottom of my pack. So its about 15 inches long, like the one in the background in your pic.
generally speaking, LONGER is better when you are trying to capture a couple more dB off the antenna.

Half Wavelength on 2m would be 3.25ft

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
ABSOLUTELY!
For back country sled use I would absolutely REPLACE THE STOCK ANTENNA.

Would be cool if we could find a TUNED soft antenna that we could wrap around the Avy Bag in a semi-permanent configuration and place the radio inside the bag with only a nice little mic/speaker coming up and over the shoulder like the BCA does.

Having 15watts on a 1/4 wave antenna would be HUGE in the mountains!

perhaps something like this??

2m-slim-jim.jpg

I'm sort of thinking ... Mount something like a CB antenna to the upper left side of the hood on the sled, Smokey and the Bandit style, ya know? :)

Then for a modern twist ... Bluetooth the mic into the helmet hahahaha

coolm7cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2008
Montana
Next time I see your momma .I'm going to punch her in the mouth. Now get your azz in the car junior. Lmao.

kbroderick

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2017
I'm sort of thinking ... Mount something like a CB antenna to the upper left side of the hood on the sled, Smokey and the Bandit style, ya know? :)

Then for a modern twist ... Bluetooth the mic into the helmet hahahaha

A Sena SR-10 and a Sena unit in the helmet works nicely with the Baofeng. You'd need to figure out grounding on the antenna, and I have no idea how much interference a sled engine would create. (I spent a few years moto-reffing bicycle races, lots of the moto refs had some variety of that setup...only big downside is that you loose comms if you walk away from the bike/sled or take your helmet off).

Also, if you start talking more than 5W, there may be health issues carrying the radio near your body on a regular basis. For both better reception and less irradiation, a vehicle-mounted antenna is probably a better idea at that point.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
A Sena SR-10 and a Sena unit in the helmet works nicely with the Baofeng. You'd need to figure out grounding on the antenna, and I have no idea how much interference a sled engine would create. (I spent a few years moto-reffing bicycle races, lots of the moto refs had some variety of that setup...only big downside is that you loose comms if you walk away from the bike/sled or take your helmet off).

Also, if you start talking more than 5W, there may be health issues carrying the radio near your body on a regular basis. For both better reception and less irradiation, a vehicle-mounted antenna is probably a better idea at that point.

This is a good point.
Other than Rare Occasional transmissions, FIFTEEN WATTS is a HUGE amount of power right next to your skull.

Just for comparison.
Most Cell Phones run at a MAX of 0.3 watt range for normal operation in the USA. But the Cell Tower controls your cell phone's power output constantly trying to use the absolute MINIMUM power possible to maintain the connection. So in good situations that 0.3 watts can drop WAY WAY down.

Normal city operation is in the Milliwatt zone.

So with a 15 watt radio, you are looking at 1,500 times more power right next to your head..

And THAT is why this radio could be a MASSIVE COMMUNICATIONS boost in the backcountry!

If we could rig up a proper antenna on the back of the sled that was 100% rollover tollerant, we could have a serious game changer for comms.

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
A great point indeed!

I keep the 5 watt radio (baofeng UV-5RV2+) with the 8" flexible antenna inside my backpack - with the antenna bent over so the pack can zip shut. The antenna is a good 8-10 inches away from my head, but just a couple of inches from my back. I have wondered what the RF exposure is to the ole body during transmission and what that amount would increase with a 15 watt radio. It is a definite concern.

Now on the ATVs, the radio is mounted on the handlebars with a PTT button on the left handgrip, and just a wire running up to the speakers and mic inside the helmet. That works VERY well!!

As far as an antenna on the back of the sled, wouldn't there need to be a wire running from the radio to the antenna? If so, i would think it would get in the way. Would definitely be a game changer for comms with higher wattage and longer antenna (wire version like shown above) that attached to the OUTSIDE of the backpack - maybe inserted inside a sleeve of thin cloth that ran around the outside perimeter of the pack - so to keep it away from the body as far as possible.

Last edited:

kbroderick

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2017
A great point indeed!

I keep the 5 watt radio (baofeng UV-5RV2+) with the 8" flexible antenna inside my backpack - with the antenna bent over so the pack can zip shut. The antenna is a good 8-10 inches away from my head, but just a couple of inches from my back. I have wondered what the RF exposure is to the ole body during transmission and what that amount would increase with a 15 watt radio. It is a definite concern.

Now on the ATVs, the radio is mounted on the handlebars with a PTT button on the left handgrip, and just a wire running up to the speakers and mic inside the helmet. That works VERY well!!

As far as an antenna on the back of the sled, wouldn't there need to be a wire running from the radio to the antenna? If so, i would think it would get in the way. Would definitely be a game changer for comms with higher wattage and longer antenna (wire version like shown above) that attached to the OUTSIDE of the backpack - maybe inserted inside a sleeve of thin cloth that ran around the outside perimeter of the pack - so to keep it away from the body as far as possible.
On the 5W radios, either the radiation exposure risk is minimal, or a significant percentage of the people who carry 5W HTs for daily work are screwed. I'm hoping it's the former case, as I spend most winter weekend days with a 5W Motorola strapped to my chest as a ski coach. But I think there's a reason that you don't see many HTs over 5W, and it's not just battery life.

Re: running an antenna on the back of the sled, yes, you absolutely would need a wire between the radio and the antenna. If I were going to do it, I'd mount the radio on the handlebars, PTT on the left-side handlebar, and run a wire along the tunnel, and use an NGP antenna on the back of the sled (or on the hood, not sure which would be less in the way). As already noted, you'd need to find one that would tolerate rolling, catching tree limbs, etc. If you want to explore that route further, google ham radios on motorcycles. That should give you some reasonable ideas to get started, and you could possibly run a higher-wattage mobile radio rather than an HT at that point (although licensing and power would be a concern, not sure if the output from the sled would be clean enough).

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
A great point indeed!

I could pretty easily envision mounting both the radio and the antenna to the sled behind the rider and then just running a PTT cable from the radio to the rider with some manner of "Quick-Disconnect" between the radio and the Speaker/Mic that would be clipped to your collar.

This is really beginning to sound like a possible SUMMER PROJECT.....:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

To be able to have SOLID COMMS with all the other riders in my group would be AWESOME.

Right now 3 of us use Helmet to Helmet Blue-Tooth comms as an adition to our BCA links, but the range is SEVERELY LIMITED. Several hundred feet at absolute best! But when it works I can't tell you how incredibly useful it is.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As already noted, you'd need to find one that would tolerate rolling, catching tree limbs, etc. If you want to explore that route further, google ham radios on motorcycles. That should give you some reasonable ideas to get started, and you could possibly run a higher-wattage mobile radio rather than an HT at that point (although licensing and power would be a concern, not sure if the output from the sled would be clean enough).

So the key issue here is HOW to build in a simple quick disconnect that would allow the rider to become instantly seperated from the radio WITHOUT ripping the cable to shreds!

The motorcyclist has a HUGE advantage in that they do NOT have to plan on being ejected from the bike like we do. We KNOW we are going to get tossed off several times a day.

The whole project would come down to this one connection.
HOW do we make that a QUICK-DISCONNECT that would easily separate with NO damage and yet maintain a tight enough connection to work properly all the rest of the time AND be water/snow tolerant?

radio.jpg

Phat Cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
Lacombe, Ab
ABSOLUTELY!
For back country sled use I would absolutely REPLACE THE STOCK ANTENNA.

Would be cool if we could find a TUNED soft antenna that we could wrap around the Avy Bag in a semi-permanent configuration and place the radio inside the bag with only a nice little mic/speaker coming up and over the shoulder like the BCA does.

Having 15watts on a 1/4 wave antenna would be HUGE in the mountains!

perhaps something like this??

2m-slim-jim.jpg

I use the NAGOYA NA-771 antennas. they are a big improvement over the stock rubber duckies. If you buy from here you know you are getting authentic antennas. https://baofengtech.com/accessories ebay have a lot of Chinese knock offs.

When you come on your Canadian ride you will most likely see a lot of these antennas sticking out of backpacks.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have radio communication to talk to trucks on active logging roads. Let me know if you need some help if you end up going this way with the radios. Here is a video posted by Golden snowmobile club. https://www.facebook.com/GoldenSnowmobileClub/videos/1203166643093067/

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I could pretty easily envision mounting both the radio and the antenna to the sled behind the rider and then just running a PTT cable from the radio to the rider with some manner of "Quick-Disconnect" between the radio and the Speaker/Mic that would be clipped to your collar.

Another thought . . .
In a scenario like this, with radio and antenna mounted to the sled, when a person became separated from the sled - not that i have ever been "ejected" from mine :) - you would now not have a way to communicate. That is why i wonder if having both radio (inside the pack), and antenna (long wire one like shown earlier in this thread) inside a sleeve going around the perimeter of the pack, and with a shoulder mic, would be the best option. Then if separated from the sled, you would still have a way to communicate.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Another thought . . .
In a scenario like this, with radio and antenna mounted to the sled, when a person became separated from the sled - not that i have ever been "ejected" from mine :) - you would now not have a way to communicate. That is why i wonder if having both radio (inside the pack), and antenna (long wire one like shown earlier in this thread) inside a sleeve going around the perimeter of the pack, and with a shoulder mic, would be the best option. Then if separated from the sled, you would still have a way to communicate.
Fully Self contained would be ideal.
But when we start pushing FIFTEEN WATTS there is a LOT to be said for getting away from that antenna...

My antenna here at the house pushes 650 Watts, and there is NO WAY I want that bad boy to be INCHES from my body!!:face-icon-small-hap

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Fully Self contained would be ideal.
But when we start pushing FIFTEEN WATTS there is a LOT to be said for getting away from that antenna...

In this case with the thickness of most packs being 8-10", this would make the antenna around 8-10" from the body. Do you think 15 watts would be an issue? I am asking because i have no idea what the RF waves do to ones body or what distance is considered too close :)

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Here is one of my setups; I'm using a BCA beacon holder for my Baofeng radio. I'm not too concerned about EMF since I'm not chatting the entire time I ride.

PreR4S4a8ctU7cI0mxW7nuh3t

Quality of headset from www.planetheadset.com is second to none-don't waste your money on ebay or amazon knock-offs. The coodio headsets are an absolute waste of money; don't buy them. The other headsets have screw on connectors which are a PITA to connect/remove with cloves on and aren't convenient. Planet headset's quick connect is push-pull.

0qT2vAJO50zVmYH3e5zoGb3ox

Here is my push-to-talk switch mounted on my avi strap:

LCkgVpAOjVQzfkJJGZUHyfrJo

Here is my other Baofeng setup:

wzsQXlsTmNBLjfbqLvMvqUnpl

5 watts is plenty enough for me.

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
So . . . Is the prospect of having a tuned soft antenna that was inserted into a thin sleeve (to protect it), that is attached to the outside perimeter of a backpack possible?

With the radio inside the pack and a shoulder mic being used, there would be no wires to disconnect when taking off the helmet. AND . . .if one got separated from the sled, the comm device stays with him.

Seems like the perfect setup to me. Maybe then 5 watts would be enough . .? Then one could add the 15 watt radio mentioned earlier and have the ultimate communication in the backcountry.

Other options . . .
Insert a NA771 antenna into sleeve of material around the exterior perimeter of a backpack and use a short (12") "jumper cable" with SMA female connector on one end and SMA male connector on the other end to connect radio inside pack, to antenna on pack exterior.

Also a Slim Jim (J-Pole) antenna (with a shorter coax cable) could be inserted into the sleeve and coax (with SMA fitting) connected to radio inside pack.

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Christopher,

Does this antenna look like one that might work. . . ?
What do you think of the specs starting at 2:28 in the video?

Ed Fong DBJ-2 Dual Band Portable HAM Roll Up Antenna.
Antenna itself is 54" long with coax length of an additional 40".
Comes with SMA to BNC connector.
VHF & UHF

Youtube Video here . . .
https://youtu.be/sFleoCVESdA?t=48s
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sFleoCVESdA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Purchase here . . .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DBJ-2-VHF-...461531?hash=item1c91a2fa5b:g:iHIAAOSwD8BZbVyg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/220Mhz-Sli...916331?hash=item2f01dff0eb:g:om4AAOSwcUBYQJCv

Last edited by a moderator:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So . . . Is the prospect of having a tuned soft antenna that was inserted into a thin sleeve (to protect it), that is attached to the outside perimeter of a backpack possible?

With the radio inside the pack and a shoulder mic being used, there would be no wires to disconnect when taking off the helmet. AND . . .if one got separated from the sled, the comm device stays with him.

Seems like the perfect setup to me. Maybe then 5 watts would be enough . .? Then one could add the 15 watt radio mentioned earlier and have the ultimate communication in the backcountry.

Other options . . .
Insert a NA771 antenna into sleeve of material around the exterior perimeter of a backpack and use a short (12") "jumper cable" with SMA female connector on one end and SMA male connector on the other end to connect radio inside pack, to antenna on pack exterior.

Also a Slim Jim (J-Pole) antenna (with a shorter coax cable) could be inserted into the sleeve and coax (with SMA fitting) connected to radio inside pack.

I REALLY want to try this!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher,

Does this antenna look like one that might work. . . ?
What do you think of the specs starting at 2:28 in the video?

Man, an SWR of 1.7 is NOT very good for a hand cut tuned antenna.
The SWR of 1.3 is better at the "Resonent" freq, but he doesn't mention what that Freq is?

At the matching frequency the antenna really out to have darn new perfect SWR 1.1 or Less...

Gain of only 2.1dBi also seems kinda low for a tuned antenna?
But if the over all gain is 8+ dBi over the OEM antenna, then that is a SOLID pickup!!

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Man, an SWR of 1.7 is NOT very good for a hand cut tuned antenna.
The SWR of 1.3 is better at the "Resonent" freq, but he doesn't mention what that Freq is?

At the matching frequency the antenna really out to have darn new perfect SWR 1.1 or Less...

Gain of only 2.1dBi also seems kinda low for a tuned antenna?
But if the over all gain is 8+ dBi over the OEM antenna, then that is a SOLID pickup!!

I would sure buy a properly tuned antenna along with a little 12" jumper cable to connect antenna to radio, if you build it :)

Premium Features