• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TPS Adjusted and will not start! HELP!

W
It appears I put myself into a bad situation. My sled will not start after adjusting the TPS. Here is what I did:

Pulled throttle bodies off and rolled up.
Checked TPS, was .922v.
Backed off idle screw and throttle cable till loose.
Connected TPS tester with a 5.008 volt supply.
TPS read .708v (corrected for supply .702v) so I did not adjust.
Turned idle screw till .934 (corrected .928v) volts and pulled throttle several times for check.
Tightened throttle cable but I think I possible went to far.
Sled started for less than 1 sec and died, it will not start now!:mad2:
Rechecked all electrical I could think of near worked on area.
Looked over wiring harness on clutch guard.
Rechecked TPS setting, .948v from throttle cable being to tight. Don't know how that happened? I loosened it and it still will not start.
Lowered idle screw a bit just to try getting it started, no help.

Did the computer possible latch a code and needs to be reset?
What am I missing?

Thanks for your help,

Idaho Bill

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Try rechecking your throttle cable for correct amount of free play

W
I have tried loosing the throttle cable till the throttle thumb has to move 3mm before the throttle body starts to move. It is more loose now than I would like with no luck. I have gone from tight to very loose (it flops abit now). It is about the same as my friends 2011 pro. Mine is a 2010 RMK.

Thanks

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
try this..shut off key and kill switch...pull sled over like you are trying to start it at least 6 times..then turn on key and kill switch and pull it....if it fires right up you inadvertently killed the charge in the capacitor (it runs the fuel pump to prime the system when you first pull it)..I have sometimes had to run them thru this cycle 2-3 times to get them to fire...now..if its something you did with cable adjustment, just giving it 1/8 throttle should allow it to start, then it will die as soon as you let up on the lever..that is the throttle safties out of whack with cable tenison...

W
I got the sled running but I am confused as to why. I had to turn the throttle cable up alot which put me way past my idle setting of .934v on the TPS (I did not measure the TPS after cable tightening). I am going to bring it in because something is not right!!! The throttle body idle screw is not even close to touching. I will find out what the dealer says and post it.

W
Mountain TPS settings!

I got my answer as to why my sled would not start with the TPS idle screw set at .930v. That is a flat lander setting. For mountain setup (6000-10,000) the TPS idle screw needs to be set at .957v!!! The idle after starting with no throttle cable tension is what is important!!! (Learn your idle speed) The base TPS setting of .710v is for all sleds. I realized not many people state flatland or mountain on this site. This is an important fact to know!!! Be careful in following some of the set ups stated on this site till you know!!!

Hope this will help someone some day.

Idaho Bill

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001
I find this hard to believe. According to this a sled with low elevation settings won't start higher up? Never had an issue with my sleds or any others that I know of. I can believe a lower idle maybe but not a no start condition.
I'm gonna have to check the repair manual as I don't recall reading this before.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
I got my answer as to why my sled would not start with the TPS idle screw set at .930v. That is a flat lander setting. For mountain setup (6000-10,000) the TPS idle screw needs to be set at .957v!!! The idle after starting with no throttle cable tension is what is important!!! (Learn your idle speed) The base TPS setting of .710v is for all sleds. I realized not many people state flatland or mountain on this site. This is an important fact to know!!! Be careful in following some of the set ups stated on this site till you know!!!

Hope this will help someone some day.

Idaho Bill

Idaho Bill,

As I posted on H.C.S. on your thread there:

Baseline is .70 volts (short or long track, 600/700/800)
not .710 volts

.93 volts for '2008 800 (long track) directly from the service manual

.95 volts for 600/700 IQ, again from the service manual.

The final voltage is shown in the owner's manual supplemental page for that particular sled,

Where did the .710 and .957 spec/ info come from?

What year?

So, let's think about this for a moment, if someone brings their "Flatlander" sled out West, it starts and runs fine at base camp, then when they get halfway up the Mountain, it dies out, won't re-start and you're left stranded in the mountains until you re-set the T.P.S. with the factory supplied POLARIS T.P.S. tester and digital volt-meter tools in the tool kit???????????????????????

Last edited:
W
I have a 2010 800 RMK with the latest flash. I rechecked my TPS settings 3 times and it would not start. I then tightened the throttle cable till it barely started and brought it to the dealer. He put it on their computer and set it up the base at .710v and idle screw at .957v. He followed the Polaris computer prompts while it was hooked to my sled! I talked to the mechanic when I picked it up and he said it was low. That is why tightening the throttle cable(higher TPS volt) got it started. He did the complete TPS/sync setup. I don't understand why it would not start at .935v? I wanted people setting their TPS to be aware of this possible issue and how to recover if they ran into it!!! Record your idle RPM and starting TPS values before loosening anything. Cost me $72 to find my answer. When I get it into a warm shop again, I will record the TPS setting and post it.

Idaho Bill

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
T.P.S. Gremlins

I have a 2010 800 RMK with the latest flash. I rechecked my TPS settings 3 times and it would not start. I then tightened the throttle cable till it barely started and brought it to the dealer. He put it on their computer and set it up the base at .710v and idle screw at .957v. He followed the Polaris computer prompts while it was hooked to my sled! I talked to the mechanic when I picked it up and he said it was low. That is why tightening the throttle cable(higher TPS volt) got it started. He did the complete TPS/sync setup. I don't understand why it would not start at .935v? I wanted people setting their TPS to be aware of this possible issue and how to recover if they ran into it!!! Record your idle RPM and starting TPS values before loosening anything. Cost me $72 to find my answer. When I get it into a warm shop again, I will record the TPS setting and post it.

Idaho Bill

I'd be willing to be bet that the digital volt meter you used is off by a bit, and /or there's something else going on.

Where did the .710 and .957 values come from (official POLARIS spec or shop remedy?) and are they specific to the 2010 800 only model?

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
T.P.S. GREMLINS

My meter is a calibrated Fluke 112 in mint condition. My TPS tester voltage regulator puts out 5.008v. I soldered all connections on my tester very well.

Hope this helps,

Idaho Bill

Where did the .710 and .957 values come from (official POLARIS spec or shop remedy per the mechanic?) ?

Are they specific to the 2010 800 only model?

S
Oct 14, 2010
reset to new numbers ???

hi' kraven

I SET MY T.P.S. .70 - .95 AND IT RUNS LIKE A TOP BUT I SEE,
NEW NUMBERS DO I NEED TO RE SET???
THANKS.:frown:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
T.P.S. GREMLINS

hi' kraven

I SET MY T.P.S. .70 - .95 AND IT RUNS LIKE A TOP BUT I SEE,
NEW NUMBERS DO I NEED TO RE SET???
THANKS.:frown:

No, stick with what you already have done,

Good to hear your sled runs well.

And since it starts at altitude, that's an added bonus...................................

W
I am learning alot about TPS setting. Slowdog, your idle is important. 1750-1800 rpm seems to work on my sled and my buddies new 2011. Elevation is the big factor here I am learning. If your sled runs great, BE HAPPY. I was at 9,000 feet today and it started good with my TPS at .957v! This was my dealer setting. I start sledding at 6000 feet and go from there. I cannot open WOT till 7-8000 feet with my setup.

I've learned that tightening your throttle cable using the handle bar adjustment is a good temp fix. Again, IDLE RPM and that starting/reverse works is important. Not to high of an RPM, burns belts if to high.

Hope this helps,

Idaho Bill

Premium Features