• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 rmk 800 144" deal or no deal?

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
found a 2010 rmk 800 144" with 870 miles on it, has the mtnkt fix kit on it, full SLP exhaust. i will ride the sled 85-95% in the mountains (i live in iowa) he wants $6000, how will the 144" do in the mountains? always rode a 153 or 155 so im nervous about the 144. but with the snow we have had the last 2 years i guess its not a big deal :face-icon-small-dis

so what im wondering is how will the track length effect me, will it be reliable with the fix kit, and what upgrades/mods should i do to make it even better?
Any info will be awesome thanks! :rockon:

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
I have ridden a 144 for many many years here in idaho and went everywhere the 163's go. I now have a 146, and thats only because the track i wanted wasnt available in 144...lol!

As far as mods, if it were me, i would fill the gas and oil tanks and just ride. Should be reliable with the fix kit in it, and they dont hurt for power in stock trim...

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
I have ridden a 144 for many many years here in idaho and went everywhere the 163's go. I now have a 146, and thats only because the track i wanted wasnt available in 144...lol!

As far as mods, if it were me, i would fill the gas and oil tanks and just ride. Should be reliable with the fix kit in it, and they dont hurt for power in stock trim...

oh no you went to a ski doo?! haha thats what my buddy has been telling me, he says "just ride the darn thing and quit worrying!" but i do always tend to look at what might go wrong instead of the good. so no power commander etc etc??

S
Dec 26, 2010
montana
the pcv i would recommend it just gettin rid of the lean spots an. and look into the exhaust valve springs up in mt i run the pink valve springs get better throttle response and slp recommends using there clutch kit as well. only thing i dont have done to mine is the fix kit. just few things if they havent been done already or something to look into.

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
well i went ahead and bought the sled, a couple things he talked about though when i went to pick it up was he puts a splash of oil in his gas tank each time he fills up? should i be doing this as well? and he also talked about cold siezing a lot, saying how i need to get it to 125 degrees before riding it? im not too fimilar with cold seizing so im going to need somone to give me a little more info on that. thanks!

B

BallsDeep_5280

Oct 16, 2012
CO
125 degree exhaust temp before riding???? That sounds pretty high to me. I have an 08 700 and I take it off the trailer as soon as it hits ~80. When I'm riding, the temp barely gets up to 125, unless I'm on the trail (then it can zip up to 140 pretty quickly).

I could be wrong, but 125 just sounds high. Especially if you are going to be trail riding for a little in the morning to get back to where the good spots are.

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
i was/am pretty confused on what he was trying to say, somthing about the thermostat opens at 125 degrees and cold collant rushes to the motor? im not sure what he was saying, also i feel like it idles fairly low, around 1650-1800 rpm at idle. seems low to me but im new to the cfi polaris world :noidea:

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
The thermostat does open at 125 degrees but when the thermostat opens it lets a bit of coolant into the engine but it's not enough to cause a seizure or anything. Cold seizure is caused by not allowing the engine to warm up before hammering it so the pistons expand way faster than the cylinder walls so there is no clearance. If you let it idle until it reaches 100 which is only 3 or 4 minutes and then don't pin it for a few hundred feet you won't have anything to worry about. When you are riding your temp will stay right around 125. One thing you should do is put on a set of scratchers if it doesn't have any. Even a short ride on a trail that doesn't have a lot of loose powder on it will spike your temps very quickly. Your idle speed is right where it should be.

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
The thermostat does open at 125 degrees but when the thermostat opens it lets a bit of coolant into the engine but it's not enough to cause a seizure or anything. Cold seizure is caused by not allowing the engine to warm up before hammering it so the pistons expand way faster than the cylinder walls so there is no clearance. If you let it idle until it reaches 100 which is only 3 or 4 minutes and then don't pin it for a few hundred feet you won't have anything to worry about. When you are riding your temp will stay right around 125. One thing you should do is put on a set of scratchers if it doesn't have any. Even a short ride on a trail that doesn't have a lot of loose powder on it will spike your temps very quickly. Your idle speed is right where it should be.

Bingo. Just start the sled and let it warm up while you put your gear on, then take it easy for a few hundred yards before giving her the onion. Oil in the gas wont hurt anything, but is not nessesary if the oil injection pump is adjusted right.

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
awesome! thanks guys i really appreciate it, forgot to mention he also gave me a high compression dome and power commander, any thoughts on those 2 items or should i sell them? thanks! :rockon:

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
If I were you I'd put the power commander on with slp's map since it has the slp full exhaust.

Premium Features