• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spray Adhesive for grips

E

enis750

Nov 28, 2007
Area code 306
What have u guys used to adhear ur grips?
I k ow MH reccomends just air, but i dont have the patience or proper air compressor to do this right

I have seen some 3M stuff at Canadian Tire
Any experience w that?
Or regular hairspray?

What will withstand cold and heat, wont damage the heater or grips, and will leave little residue for when i change the grips when worn out

Tried orderig RSI stuff but no stock and they want $25 to ship to me in Canada
Need to get these grips on as im heading west soon

Thx!

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
What have u guys used to adhear ur grips?
I k ow MH reccomends just air, but i dont have the patients or proper air compressor to do this right

I have seen some 3M stuff at Canadian Tire
Any experience w that?
Or regular hairspray?

What will withstand cold and heat, wont damage the heater or grips, and will leave little residue for when i change the grips when worn out

Tried orderig RSI stuff but no stock and they want $25 to ship to me in Canada
Need to get these grips on as im heading west soon

Thx!

ProTaper grip glue.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
my order of preference:

RSI
Rental
hair spray

if Rental and/or hair spray dont work epoxy from the hardware store is good.

have you looking into lock-on grips? ran those for a while, no glue, no slipping!

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
I must be a serious sled grip ripper cause I've never had good luck with any grip glue or hair sprays that I've tried. Paint sometimes works, but is really messy. I use lots of wire once i break the stock connection, but air and pray is my latest thing :face-icon-small-con

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I used spray paint last time i did it, can be messy if your not careful, but it worked really well.

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
how about do it right and not have any mess glue ruins the grips and bars

1- degrease bars with a automotive paint degreaser
2- clean inside of grips with brake clean
3- spray inside of grips with brake clean let air dry repeat 2-3 times "makes rubber sticky"
4-spray inside of grips with brake clean and bars slide on very easily when they are wet let them sit till completely dry

GOOD LUCK GETTING THEM BACK OFF LOL if they come loose grips are wrong ID for the bars get new ones i use this method on grips and intercooler plumbing this method basicly makes it adhear to the metal for those of you that have taken apart a turbocharged vehical and the intercooler boot is really hard to get off from being clamped on so long this method does the same in matter of minutes.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Great for grips and also doubles as a kick a$$ fuel for spud guns.

I find hair spray as a fuel for my spud gun to be too messy, the residue gums things up over time.

NAPA brand ether starter fluid is the trick.

As for grips... I buy 3m 77 spray adhesive, spray the bar and inside the grip and do NOT let it dry, just stuff it right no while its wet. They slide right on, 5 minutes later they are stuck and won't come off.

I've found with some gripbs that the hair spray doesn't last over time, they come lose.

sled_guy

E

enis750

Nov 28, 2007
Area code 306
I find hair spray as a fuel for my spud gun to be too messy, the residue gums things up over time.

NAPA brand ether starter fluid is the trick.

As for grips... I buy 3m 77 spray adhesive, spray the bar and inside the grip and do NOT let it dry, just stuff it right no while its wet. They slide right on, 5 minutes later they are stuck and won't come off.

I've found with some gripbs that the hair spray doesn't last over time, they come lose.

sled_guy

And the spray adhesive wont damage the heaters ???
If i wanna change grips later on the heaters should still be in tact and what not?

D
Feb 28, 2011
BC, Canada
Another plus one for hair spray. If the grip fits properly, it really shouldn't even need an adhesive. The hairspray just acts as a lube to help you get it on, the fact that it gets sticky as it dries is just a bonus. Usually I use an air compressor and that's it... never had grips spin on me. Of course I've never replaced snowmobile grips before. Just on my mountain bikes and ATV. Should be the same though.

E

enis750

Nov 28, 2007
Area code 306
Ended up getting some Elmers spray adhesive
Prior i washed the inside of the grips good and let them air dry overnight
Cleaned the bars and ends w alchohol as well
Sprayed the stuff on and grip slid right on

Some came out the end and i tell ya it sure is tacky
These grips will not move

Thx for all ur responses

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
The 3M glue doesn't hurt the heaters.

You won't get the grips off without cutting them off. If you are careful you can do that without damaging the heaters.

sled_guy

Premium Features