• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stock Cat Challenger vs. Challenger Extreme

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Just wondering what the difference is between a STOCK Cat challenger track and a Challenger Extreme. Thanks for the help!!

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
challenger 2.25 - good enough, i guess, ok i think it sucks:face-icon-small-win

exteame 2.5 - grips and rips, but will dig a hole without a solid skid, ok it still digs a hole at low speeds

power claw - light weight and the best all around track period, keeps creepin forward at low speeds and wont wash out

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Thanks for the info! I currently have a power claw, but I wasn't totally blown away by it last year. I felt like it trenched like an MFer in the powder. Coming off an A20 in powder position it was an all around improvement for sure.

Was thinking of trying a Challenger Extreme this year. I know there's plenty of conversation about which is better, PClaw or Challenger. I just wasn't completely blown away by the Pclaw is all.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Thanks for the info! I currently have a power claw, but I wasn't totally blown away by it last year. I felt like it trenched like an MFer in the powder. Coming off an A20 in powder position it was an all around improvement for sure.

Was thinking of trying a Challenger Extreme this year. I know there's plenty of conversation about which is better, PClaw or Challenger. I just wasn't completely blown away by the Pclaw is all.

If you think the PC trenches, you have problems because the CE you could lay pipe at 6' under. Maybe you should look into suspension setup. What sled. But I would rather have the CE most of the time unless I was always in dry fluff.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
06 m7 153. Rear suspension is as follows:

PClaw track
front spring about as loose as it can go without rattling
Limiter straps all the way out
rear tension blocks/springs set to softest setting (both sides)
Holtz front arm relocation bracket
MMP rear axle and 8" wheels

Does this sound acceptable for a rear suspension setting?

Thanks for the help!!!

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
From North Dakota, always ride West Yellowstone. I ride around here a LITTLE, but it's not ever what I'd call "powder." lol

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Not real familiar with the m7, the jist of it is you want the front of the skid soft and the rear stiffer. then you test it, go to both extremes to see what works best and it could change by the day. you want some preload on the front shock or it will just come up with out making traction and make the back do all the work and if the back is soft it just falls in and hangs up on the running boards. Take a minute and think about it, what you want is as much of the track as possible to make contact with the snow consistently. If the front is stiff it will spit the snow out the back and the back just falls in its hole, its like having a short track as only half the track make positive contact. I have never tightened my limiters but it can make it better also to by making the approach angel better. Something you have to play with.

The biggest thing missing from your list is you didn't say you have the 09 style rear tunnel and bumper. To get the full potential out of the PC you have to do this to let the track drop enough to find the traction. Other wise just as it get down far enough to go it starts dragging the tunnel and cant plane out. At time my m1000 did a huge hole but it keeps going where others wont.

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
I hope I'm not messing with the thread, but I have a question.

I have not run a PC, but I have been running a ported 162 CE for a few years.

I see comments about the CE being a trencher. I don't get that feeling while I ride, but I do see some of the trenches I have left at slow speeds in tight stuff.

I see comments about the PC not trenching, but also see comments about the PC needing the 09 tunnel mod to work well.

I guess my question is if the PC needs to have the tunnel mod to reach down and touch something then isn't it trenching(deep) too???

Enlighten me fellers. I am also interested in the magic and want to try a PC on my new project(153 TM8). Our snow is typically not Utah/Colo pow.

Thanks Likker for letting me tag in on this thread.

IShartd

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Alpine County, CA
06 m7 153. Rear suspension is as follows:

PClaw track
front spring about as loose as it can go without rattling
Limiter straps all the way out
rear tension blocks/springs set to softest setting (both sides)
Holtz front arm relocation bracket
MMP rear axle and 8" wheels

Does this sound acceptable for a rear suspension setting?

Thanks for the help!!!

Heres my suggestion, keep the relocation bracket, drop the front arm to the lowest hole on the tunnel, look on the inside of the tunnel and drill out, do the GEO mod to bring a differant finishing rate on the torsion springs, and snug your front spring up about 3/4 of an inch, depending how heavy your are dial in the torsion blocks.

And lets face it, every track trenches, some worse than others, and some is based on rider input or lack there of. I ride a PC 162 and find that it is more forgiving than my ported challenger 162, and seems to grip better in my conditions. Don't know how much truth there is to needing to do the 09 tunnel conversion to run a PC but you will definetly end up tearing your snow flap off with it, just like the A20 used to do.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
all sleds benefit from the 09 style rear tunnel and bumper. The CE will just keep trenching but the PC will grab and plane out(pops you back on top the snow) All sleds trench.

K

kingkat1150

Jan 27, 2010
belgrade mt
Bottom line is your sled needs to go on the snow not trench through it. When you are climing your sled is already in the transfer position. I find that all stock skids lift the skis way to far which looks cool I guess but when you are climbing it's a bad thing. Keeping the skid flat with a good approach angle is key. Also running the track to loose will cause track pile. Track pile is the track actualy woding up in front of the skid as you go through the snow. You can play with this adjustment on a slight incline under full power and you will be amazed at the difference it makes in going through the snow and climbing.

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
all sleds benefit from the 09 style rear tunnel and bumper. The CE will just keep trenching but the PC will grab and plane out(pops you back on top the snow) All sleds trench.

I see, I think I get what you are talking about. So with the PC you can stay hamered and expect it to pop out instead of working the throttle to "feel the float" after you get moving.

Premium Features