• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Camso Rail Idler Wheel Removal

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
I want to remove the 2 front wheels off my skid so I can update my limiter cable. I cant get the wheels off.. tried penetrating lube and a puller they wont budge any tricks?

M
Jan 14, 2004
Try a heat gun on the bearing race, you don't want to cook it with a torch but you may have to use the torch in the end then replace the bearings.

M5

M
Jan 14, 2004
Are you adding the 2019 limiter? I wouldn't waste my time with the 2018 version, they just break. Add the 2019 limiter and the rising rate cam block. There is also a new rear spring with a new rate as well. I'm not sure if the spring is that much different than the 2018 version.

It would be nice if Camso offered and update kit for the older kits to 2019 specs at least for all the important changes rather than having us figure it out on our own.

M5

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
Are you adding the 2019 limiter? I wouldn't waste my time with the 2018 version, they just break. Add the 2019 limiter and the rising rate cam block. There is also a new rear spring with a new rate as well. I'm not sure if the spring is that much different than the 2018 version.

It would be nice if Camso offered and update kit for the older kits to 2019 specs at least for all the important changes rather than having us figure it out on our own.

M5

Yeah I would agree, I would also like them to use the feedback from their athletes and put it into the kits. I have talked to a couple of guys that race for them and they are going thru the same crap. Lots of little tricks and screwing around.

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
I used a gear puller on mine when I did all the updates to it.

They're pressed on (you can draw them down with the bolt when you re-install them).

The 3 jaw puller pulled it off very easily without stressing the idler or bearing.

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington

M5

I went down this road when I was updating my 2017 kit with all the 18 updates to keep it current.

No upgrade kits were offered, but Camso will gladly sell you the parts piece by piece for a very expensive price.

Their kit may be inexpensive, but their parts are not when you go to replace them.

My fit kit was $399 for a few pieces of aluminum and small chain segment...crazy, but I paid it.

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
I used a gear puller on mine when I did all the updates to it.

They're pressed on (you can draw them down with the bolt when you re-install them).

The 3 jaw puller pulled it off very easily without stressing the idler or bearing.

I tried this, and basically it started flexing the plastic on the wheel and I stopped.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com

M5

I have a list of part #'s and priceing to bring your 2018 kit to the 2019 specs. I can get all the parts.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Here you go. Seems like a number of parts needed. Keep in mind those are MSRP pricing. Please contact me with questions and ordering info.

45556381954_ff32ff4f60_o.jpg

M

more snow

Jan 8, 2008
Nampa, ID
I had the same problem removing my front idler wheel. After only 5 months from new kit. I tried every apptoach. Finally had to chop the whole wheel and bearing off wih a cut wheel. They never put any grease on the shaft from the factory even though their manual says to grease this shaft each year. What a joke!

J
Dec 16, 2018
We had this issue on my friends Camso when trying to replace the limiter strap. I ended up pulling the rubber wheel over the bearing with a three jaw puller. Then I was able to use the smallest three jaw puller I had on the bearing. I used a combination of heating the bearing and also cooling the shaft with canned air sprayed upside down. That ended up being a couple hour exercise in frustration but I eventually got the bearing off.

Later,

Jake Metteer
Woodland, WA

Premium Features