• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Advice on 99' 700 powder special

2litre

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
A buddy just picked up one in mint condition, less than 1000 miles from new! I know the clutch calibration was poor and carb settings were marginal. Anyone want to share their experiances with, or setups for, this "Freddy Kruger" machine?

Looking for any info on setup, chassis, clutching, intake, etc...
Beautiful condition and he got it cheap so I would like to get it working decent for him, but I dont have much for parts laying around to experiment with.

Thanks guys.

H

hardcore2

Feb 26, 2003
Cranbrook BC
I owned one of those and my advise is don't let your buddy put it on the snow . Worst new sled I ever owned . Looked good on the truck though..

N

Nate

Apr 22, 2006
Northeast Wyoming/Mission Viejo California
I owned one of those and my advise is don't let your buddy put it on the snow . Worst new sled I ever owned . Looked good on the truck though..

LMAO I wasnt going to say anything :rolleyes: I owned one. That was the worst tow I have ever experienced. that thing left me high and dry. I gave it away to a 10 year old kid after I rebuilt it. He was happy, I was happy, funny thing is, its still running :mad: he just rides it around here at 4400' in the ditches and stuff

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I have one as a spare sled and so far we hav'nt been able to destroy it. Everyone told me they were no good, so I just had to have one! It has a little over 5000 miles on it now and other than replacing a blown clutch and duct tapping the hole in the belly pan closed, its been alright. Not a real power house but it does'nt do too bad. I have a P-85 clutch with a blue spring and 58g cat weights in it and the secondary is just you yellow with a 49* helix. It will hold 7800 all day. Has a fabcraft tunnel with the cheese grater boards. They clean off a lot nicer than my snow-eliminators on my king! Built the seat up and some risers and it's a fun sled to play with. I think I might grind 2g off the weight tips, it should drop my engagement to 3900 to 4000 and yet dtill give me good shifting.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Maine
i had one and had nothing but trouble. it realy liked to break motor mounts so be careful! keep an eye on them. the kid i sold it to also managed to crack the bulk head. and dump the stock skis. they throw snow all over you. if it is anything like mine you might want a tow stap at all times. good luck with it though

F
Feb 7, 2003
MN
i had one & it was a good sled. of course i only rode it in the mountains once a year too & otherwise it was just ditch bangin. clutch blew out the belly pan with only 2,000 miles on it. i bet the bearings will go soon but its not mine anymore. also had issues with the motor mounts & breaking all the time too. i think they all have the same issues just depending on how its used.

2litre

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks for the honest opinions boys. I know it isn't exactly a "dream machine", but my buddy isn't a mountain rider either. Hopefully it will be a good fit, just to get him interested. I just want to try and make sure it is set up the best we can make it so he's not turned off by the whole mountain thing!

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
I don't have any advice on set-up.
But be shure to check the clutch every 2-300 miles. Make sure the weight bushings, rollers, etc are in good shape before every ride.
That engine must have bad harmonics or something. Eats clutches in a hurry.
I even replaced the clutch with a polaris clutch with the same results.
A friend has one bone stock and has had nothing but troubles.

best set up is a chop job.saw that tunnel in half and ad something bigger like a 162 with a drop and roll yank that 700 and add something else even a 600 is a better motor.oh and bring lots of friends and a good tow rope///

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
All these people with bad experiences. I dunno, my Freddy motor has been awesome for me. 10k on the original crank. about 4k of those being a 790 motor. I took the clutch afte rthe first time it blew and bought a Comet 4-pro. Took it apart, to the machine shop, balanced it, balanced all the weights, the cover, bolts etc etc and never had an issue. Of course I also balanced the pistons, wrist pins, etc etc. I finally had a rod bearing go at 10k.(Pistons are replaced every 1500km as preventative maintenance) When the crank finally went I got the crank balanced, pinned and welded. I love it.
They call it Freddy for 2 reasons.......
1st......it can be a nightmare owning one.
2nd....it shakes so bad you'll be shakin' like you just woke up from a nightmare.
Personally....I love the motor. Nitrous went on about 4 years ago and the 60 shot has been on ever since. I should say though, the sledhasn't run in 2 years......no reason to when I got a new demo to ride all the time.....but hopefully it'll be on the snow here before he end of Feb.

Best thing for it and keeping it simple, balance the clutch, mod the rear of the tunnel, and swap skis. Doesn't matter if your buddy is not a mtn rider, these 3 things will help tremendously. New shocks and an electrical system from a 94-95 model year 700 with some twin pipes wakes the beast right up.
Like I said....nothing but smiles from mine.

Last edited:
P
Nov 26, 2007
I have one. It is not up with the new models for sure, but is a decent sled with a little TLC. To run in powder you MUST have the tunnel tapered and re-set the suspension. If you look you can find instructions or someone who has done it. It will not be a climber but can get around after the mod.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Been helping my brother nurse his along, rides it a couple of hundred miles a year at his cabin, usualy gets towed once a year. Its a maintanance whore, tighten all bolts and rezip tie everything after 4 hrs of riding.

Motors will last if you run 3/4 inch pistons wash, the rack mounted Mikini slide models were lean out of the box, lots of them went down with a timid mid range rider on the sled. Stock they needed bigger mains, leaner pilots and care with gas screw adjustment. Green secondary spring 3rd hole, 53 helix and the newer fixed pin cat clutch they will get right along for 125 hp. Double vision and blisters are one of the hazards of owning this motor.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
i've always heard so many bad things about this sled. i just sold mine this year and never had anymore problems with it than any other sled i've owned. i guess i must have got one of the good ones. sometimes i wonder if a lot of the problems are maintence related, i spend at least a couple hours a week going through and maintaining my sled, but i try to ride every weekend both days and have learned with any snowmobile if your gonna put 2-3,000 miles a year on a sled you'd better be diligent about maintaining it:)

Premium Features