• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Farmington Canyon

P
Dec 8, 2007
I was there today. There is about 4 feet on the trails in places. No real base, so be careful going off the trail because it is highly likely you will get stuck. I did numerous times. Did not hit much in terms of rocks. Have fun if you go.

Plecotus

troyby

Premium Member
Oct 12, 2005
Kaysville, Utah
I was there today. There is about 4 feet on the trails in places. No real base, so be careful going off the trail because it is highly likely you will get stuck. I did numerous times. Did not hit much in terms of rocks. Have fun if you go.

Plecotus

I'm just curious, do you always stay on the trails to keep from getting stuck?:confused: Maybe Farmington is not the best place to ride then. Try Monte!!:face-icon-small-win

P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
Farmington

Lots of snow!! Finally!!

Just got back, there were not many people up there but there will be when people realize there is actually a place with some snow.

P
Dec 8, 2007
I'm just curious, do you always stay on the trails to keep from getting stuck?:confused: Maybe Farmington is not the best place to ride then. Try Monte!!:face-icon-small-win

Thank you for your enlightening comment. I will admit that I am still learning the art of sledding in the deep powder; however I get off the trail to learn and dug myself out plenty today doing that. I warned a few sledders today up there about the lack of a base and they shrugged off my advise and off they went. They weren't more than a half mile up the trail and were stuck for the better part of an hour, which is fine and I applaud them for trying to go off trail. I was just giving people a heads up. btw, one of them had a 151 inch Summit with Nitro, so it wasn't the sled or the rider, just the conditions. Anyway have fun up there.

Last edited:

troyby

Premium Member
Oct 12, 2005
Kaysville, Utah
Thank you for your enlightening comment. I will admit that I am still learning the art of sledding in the deep powder; however I get off the trail to learn and dug myself out plenty today doing that. I warned a few sledders today up there about the lack of a base and they shrugged off my advise and off they went. They weren't more than a half mile up the trail and were stuck for the better part of an hour, which is fine and I applaud them for trying to go off trail. I was just giving people a heads up. btw, one of them had a 151 inch Summit with Nitro, so it wasn't the sled or the rider, just the conditions. Anyway have fun up there.

I didn't mean to sound rude, so I will appologize if it came out that way. Monte is a good place to learn because its fairly safe. Farmington is not safe!! One wrong turn can get you in a lot of trouble quick. Bountiful is fairly safe if you pay attention to where you are and dont ride beyond your abilities. Snowmobiling is a great sport that I encourage more people to try,I just hate to see people end up hurt from riding beyond there abilities. Have fun and be safe, hope to see you on the hill:beer;:D

M
Nov 26, 2007
Utah
what troyby said. I almost don't enjoy going to farmington just becuase of what troyby said. Straight up and down, and some hairy spots. It is some GREAT spring riding though.... And no base and 6 feet of pow is the best!

P
Dec 8, 2007
I didn't mean to sound rude, so I will appologize if it came out that way. Monte is a good place to learn because its fairly safe. Farmington is not safe!! One wrong turn can get you in a lot of trouble quick. Bountiful is fairly safe if you pay attention to where you are and dont ride beyond your abilities. Snowmobiling is a great sport that I encourage more people to try,I just hate to see people end up hurt from riding beyond there abilities. Have fun and be safe, hope to see you on the hill:beer;:D

Thanks for that Troyby, very good advise!:beer; I rode Monte most of last year and really like it. I hit Farmington yesterday because it is close.

F
Aug 5, 2001
Utah
btw, one of them had a 151 inch Summit with Nitro, so it wasn't the sled or the rider, just the conditions. Anyway have fun up there.

Would that be Nitro Methane? Or Nitro Glycerin? LOL Either way it probaly went kaboom! :D:beer;

Just messin with ya!

PS- Ive been riding for 12 years and I wont go to Farmington, I think Troyby gave you some solid advice. The older I get the less risk I take, seeing people die has done me in for anything extreme...

Last edited:
P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
Lots Of Snow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Farmington has a base with about 18" of fresh powder on top.

The base will hold your snowmobile up but not you. Get off your sled at Avalanche bowl and you will sink in to your waist!!

Pretty Great Day!!

Last edited:

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Farmington has a base with about 18" of fresh powder on top.

The base will hold your snowmobile up but not you. Get off your sled at Avalanche bowl and you will sink in to your waist!!

Pretty Great Day!!

most of those high bowls in farmington will have october snow underneath... anything that hasnt slid to the dirt yet is prime suspect to do so... 5-6 foot crowns with larger wind loaded crowns... please be super careful up there...

Dunatic

MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
with soooo many other places to ride, why would anyone want to ride farmington? the road going up absolutely sucks...

P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
We like it because there is snow there. It is also very close for us.

The avalanche danger is high right now and we did not do any climbing near the peaks. We mostly stayed in the trees etc.

I've been up to Monte a couple of times and it just does not have the snow yet. It looks to me according to Snotel that Farminton and Tony Grove are about the only places in Northern Utah with Snow.

I have seen Avalanches every place I have ever ridden. This time of year and especially under these conditions we have all got to be careful every time and every location.

But I sincerely thank you for your concern, with these new machines we can all get into trouble very quickly, and I pray we do not lose anyone off this forum to another avalanche.

Last edited:
S

snomac

Nov 26, 2007
Layton, Utah
most of those high bowls in farmington will have october snow underneath... anything that hasnt slid to the dirt yet is prime suspect to do so... 5-6 foot crowns with larger wind loaded crowns... please be super careful up there...

hey, Phatty my group mainly rides up farmington, but i havn't been up there this year, would you say it's crazy to ride up there under these conditions or that we just really need to use our heads and avoid the big stuff? we were planning on going up tomorrow.

M
Nov 26, 2007
I've been up 3 times already this year. It helps to know where you are going and where the hidden stuff is before the snow. The pow has been good but feel lucky I haven't hurt my sled or lost my front teeth yet. It is getting good but the base needs to settle a little. I would ask that all that go up if you would consider not pulling a 4 place up there, it is extremely hard to get around on the road on some of the corners and is plainly not safe. When sledding, it's not hard to find a route up to the huge stuff but don't park in creek beds or terrain traps when farther south, make sure you park on the ridges or on the side of the large bowls and NOT BELOW THE HUGE FACES, I have seen some crazy avys in the last few years that have ran for a long ways. You should be avy prepared and should be very good at route finding. In the last 5 years I've seen avys on nearly every slope greater than 35 degrees up there. Unfortunately, right now all the great pow is up high. Play it smart! Merls .02

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
hey, Phatty my group mainly rides up farmington, but i havn't been up there this year, would you say it's crazy to ride up there under these conditions or that we just really need to use our heads and avoid the big stuff? we were planning on going up tomorrow.

IMHO, places like Farmington, no matter how good the snow, should be avoided for awhile. I have only been there a few times, but it certainly seems that the good riding is all steep, bowls - why put yourself in harms way no matter how careful you are? Just my $.02. Be safe regardless.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca

havent been up there yet myself this year, and there is a reason for that... i will wait for others to set off the slides and ride there later in the year...

Chief

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
SL,UT
PS- Ive been riding for 12 years and I wont go to Farmington, I think Troyby gave you some solid advice. The older I get the less risk I take, seeing people die has done me in for anything extreme...

Funny how times change. I grew up in Bountiful and learned to ride there and Farmington Canyon. Then we had 121" tracks that were 1/2" deep.. Sometimes we bolted on studs or cleats. Sidehilling and working hard we could ride back and forth from Farmington to Bountiful..

If you stay off the steep slopes there are a lot of safe places to ride and play on both sides of skyline drive.

Chief

P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
When you ride farmington, you must be aware of the danger on any given day.

As you drive up the road notice, study all the high country and look for natural avalanches, if you see any it is a high avy danger day. I cannot ever remember seeing an avalanche up Farmington without first seeing one or more on the way up.

These things are true no matter where you ride. I have seen terrible avalanches even up Monte, when conditions are right there will be avalanches. I like to take all the guys I ride with to the avalanche classes every year. You cannot learn too much about them.

We had a close call with a guy burried up there two years ago and I am sure we have had other close calls with guys not getting buried, this is true of all of the areas with a lot of steep and deep in the west.

Learn all you can, wear a beacon, know how to use it, practice, have an escape plan, ride with friends, use your head and go snowmobiling!!

Premium Features