• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Det Issue with '16 Axys and BD Sidekick

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
Hey everyone,

I've got some feedback from a few of you but just trying to get a little more feedback on this before I start throwing new parts at this thing to try to figure it out. I'm on a '16 Axys with a BD Sidekick. I bought both the sled and the Turbo before the season started in November 2015. It started out with no issues but slowly over time it started blubbering and detonating more and more. I did get the ECU reflashed and the BD box reflashed to match which helped but end of last season I lost my motor. It seems that the crank went out which then caused the damage to the top end. Or maybe the crank went out because of the detonation issue I was having?? Nonetheless, I ended up getting a brand new motor that was put together by a dealer with the Mtntk Fix it kit. I talked with both Mtntk and BD about the compression ratio and they were both sure that it wouldn't be an issue. Got the motor in the sled and went up to break it in but still getting a Detonation issue. The det seems to happen when right after i've blipped the throttle and start to get back into the throttle. I've mixed up to a total Octane of about 98 but still get the same Det. Here is a short video showing it happening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQIUyOkbkEw&feature=youtu.be

Here is a short clip of it NOT detonating even though I'm all over the throttle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn8NMmjizcU&feature=youtu.be

I've tried sending BD emails for help but can't get any response.

Below is a list of parts that I think I'll start replacing or maybe just replace all of them all at once?(what would you do) Just don't want to risk losing another motor. Problem is though each part costs roughly $200. I've already gone through both clutches and everything looks fine.

Here's what I'm thinking for parts to start replacing.
Bypass TSS
Replace Voltage Regulator
Replace TPS
Replace Injectors
Replace Fuel pick up sock

I've already spent time swapping known good parts from another axys and the problem persists. Here are the parts that I've swapped
Det Sensor
BD Box
ECU
Ekey

I've also had it to the dealer and they plugged in with the DW and couldn't find anything wrong. Said that the fuel pressure was fine.

Here's another clip of the same day as one of the other clips above. Listen at 0:22, 0:25, and 2:04 specifically for a blubber sound that usually happens right before it detonates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQeAUDD6XkI&feature=youtu.be

Any suggestions would be awesome

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Pipe rubbing on the chassis cross member? It can give false DET code.

Did you torque the det sensor.

Fit it actualky throw a DET code??

Also where did you send email. What address???

Last edited:

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010

Yes, torqued det sensor and made sure the pipe wasn’t hitting anywhere. Yes, it has thrown a det code every time. It’s not consistently one cylinder either. I emailed Sessions directly.

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010

To be fair BD and Sessions where great in replying during the season last year trying to diagnose the issue. It’s just been the last month or so that I haven’t heard back from them. I’m not sure if it’s a problem with the kit or just issues with the sled. If I had to guess I’d think it’s an issue with the sled and not the kit.

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
How much boost ?
Elevation??

It’s the Base Sidekick Kit. We ride between 8k-11kft and boost changes with the elevation. I believe at those elevations it’s not more than 7lbs and probably as little as 5.5lbs. But, don’t have a boost gauge so not 100% sure

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Boondocker just sucks! Kidding, they are probably as busy as any other turbo company this time of year.

Here is our diagnosis "tree" at Silber...

If getting det...

1) Is there enough octane? (in your case, yes) Are you over-boosting? (doesn't sound like it)
2) Are you over-revving? (doesn't sound like it)
3) Is it one side only? (no)
4) Are you sure your fuel pump is operating properly? (You are not - start here)
5) Are you sure your EGT is operating properly? (You are not - consider replacing this)
6) Are you sure the fuel tank is venting properly? (You are not - check this)

I'd start there. New fuel pump. New EGT. Make sure tank is venting.

Do that and I bet your problem goes away...

EDIT: It is highly unlikely both injectors are going bad at the same time, but we have seen it happen (my personal sled did this!). Still, start with what I suggested and go from there.

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
Boondocker just sucks! Kidding, they are probably as busy as any other turbo company this time of year.

Here is our diagnosis "tree" at Silber...

If getting det...

1) Is there enough octane? (in your case, yes) Are you over-boosting? (doesn't sound like it)
2) Are you over-revving? (doesn't sound like it)
3) Is it one side only? (no)
4) Are you sure your fuel pump is operating properly? (You are not - start here)
5) Are you sure your EGT is operating properly? (You are not - consider replacing this)
6) Are you sure the fuel tank is venting properly? (You are not - check this)

I'd start there. New fuel pump. New EGT. Make sure tank is venting.

Do that and I bet your problem goes away...

EDIT: It is highly unlikely both injectors are going bad at the same time, but we have seen it happen (my personal sled did this!). Still, start with what I suggested and go from there.

Thanks a ton for the reply and the recommendations. I actually did replace the EGT hoping that was it but it wasn't.

-How do you check to see if the tank is venting?
-When the dealer hooks up with the DW and checks fuel pressure and says
that it's fine could there still be an issue with the fuel pump? Looks like the
fuel pump is $500+:face-icon-small-fro

-With regards to the injectors... even if it was just one that goes bad that could still cause issues, right? And you can't just replace one injector, can you?

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Thanks a ton for the reply and the recommendations. I actually did replace the EGT hoping that was it but it wasn't.

-How do you check to see if the tank is venting?
-When the dealer hooks up with the DW and checks fuel pressure and says
that it's fine could there still be an issue with the fuel pump? Looks like the
fuel pump is $500+:face-icon-small-fro

-With regards to the injectors... even if it was just one that goes bad that could still cause issues, right? And you can't just replace one injector, can you?

Did you try replacing the DET sensor itself? Just curious... (doubtful this is it btw)

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
are you running ethanol fuel?? and what mode is the sled in? I run non-ethanol fuel and found that if the sled was in non-ethanol mode that I hit DET from time to time...flipped to ethanol mode {witch just adds more fuel} "as sliber suggests anyway" and bam!! never hit DET again! the bottom end is a little spongier but it seems to pull harder the rest of the way through.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Similar/same issue I have with my 11 pro, set in off throttle and if laying into it and getting off.... Lost 1 engine to it already, difference is I've done everything, fuel pump, tps, fpr, turbo injectors, swapepd knock sensor, took it off.... Ripping my hair out. I have a spare 11 pro I was swapping parts with so I'm lucky there sort of. I got a used set of stock injectors in going to try now. I noticed on my a/f after a ways down the trail it was leaning out bad, I'd start at the truck at say 14-15:1 and eventually go 18+ when I started to get my set codes setting. Under boost it was fine as the turbo kit made up for what ever was happening.... Hmm... Not fixed yet but hoping the injectors will fix it at this point.

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
are you running ethanol fuel?? and what mode is the sled in? I run non-ethanol fuel and found that if the sled was in non-ethanol mode that I hit DET from time to time...flipped to ethanol mode {witch just adds more fuel} "as sliber suggests anyway" and bam!! never hit DET again! the bottom end is a little spongier but it seems to pull harder the rest of the way through.

If only it were that easy?. I’ve tried non ethonal and ethonal fuel (both mixed with Race fuel) and have run in both eth and non eth seething. Same result either way.

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
Similar/same issue I have with my 11 pro, set in off throttle and if laying into it and getting off.... Lost 1 engine to it already, difference is I've done everything, fuel pump, tps, fpr, turbo injectors, swapepd knock sensor, took it off.... Ripping my hair out. I have a spare 11 pro I was swapping parts with so I'm lucky there sort of. I got a used set of stock injectors in going to try now. I noticed on my a/f after a ways down the trail it was leaning out bad, I'd start at the truck at say 14-15:1 and eventually go 18+ when I started to get my set codes setting. Under boost it was fine as the turbo kit made up for what ever was happening.... Hmm... Not fixed yet but hoping the injectors will fix it at this point.

Oh man that is not good. That’s exactly what I’m worried about. Still not sure where to even start on mine. Lots of petenital problem parts. Good luck on yours and hope the new injectors fix it. Will you report back and let me know if they do?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Oh man that is not good. That’s exactly what I’m worried about. Still not sure where to even start on mine. Lots of petenital problem parts. Good luck on yours and hope the new injectors fix it. Will you report back and let me know if they do?

Yeah, I've been up and down on the sled, spent way too much time on it and money. I certainly will report back, won't be for another 2 weekends or so.

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
Still getting Detonation and now a bog

I was able to get out on Saturday to run my sled. Talked with BD and they said to try turning the boost down which I did. I didn't know I could do that on the Sidekick so I figured that must be the issue so I didn't replace anything else for not wanting to spend more money than needed. It didn't work and now I have a bog. I'm also hearing a whining noise so started thinking it was coming from the turbo but after a few searches realized that it could be the fuel pump. Here is a video showing the bog and Whine. It's hard to hear because of the turbo but you can hear it distinctly at 2:30 and at 4:07. Let me know your thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZPP9VUOiIw

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Hi Nater, wanted to give you an update on my end. I finally got out for a ride on my sled. I want to say for my Det issue it indeed was the fuel injectors. Although I still want to hold my breath and get another ride in, I never had a ride last winter where it didn't lean out of range on my a/f gauge down the trail, not to mention throw the det code when in and off the throttle. I ran 50/50 av gas and my 3 degree timing key and it still did that. Yesterdays ride was only 94 pump gas, trail ride as there's not the snow yet, been dry up here but just over 2 feet in the back end now. I was able to play the throttle lots and never got the det code nor did it lean way out, stayed around 14.5:1 and lower, usually mid-low 13:1 when very light on throttle on the slow trail it did go leaner like 15.5:1 or 16 for a moment, perhaps polaris's tuning.

My year of sled the 2011, They had previous injector issues and switch up injectors for the year... And it is pretty rare to think an injector coil goes bad.... let alone injector issues since the new ones went to bosch. But you never know, maybe find your self a used set of injectors to try? Thats what I have done. It's been a very long exhausting road, I am so over working on this sled that If it didn't run yesterday It would of had a for sale sign on it today. lol

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
Hi Nater, wanted to give you an update on my end. I finally got out for a ride on my sled. I want to say for my Det issue it indeed was the fuel injectors. Although I still want to hold my breath and get another ride in, I never had a ride last winter where it didn't lean out of range on my a/f gauge down the trail, not to mention throw the det code when in and off the throttle. I ran 50/50 av gas and my 3 degree timing key and it still did that. Yesterdays ride was only 94 pump gas, trail ride as there's not the snow yet, been dry up here but just over 2 feet in the back end now. I was able to play the throttle lots and never got the det code nor did it lean way out, stayed around 14.5:1 and lower, usually mid-low 13:1 when very light on throttle on the slow trail it did go leaner like 15.5:1 or 16 for a moment, perhaps polaris's tuning.

My year of sled the 2011, They had previous injector issues and switch up injectors for the year... And it is pretty rare to think an injector coil goes bad.... let alone injector issues since the new ones went to bosch. But you never know, maybe find your self a used set of injectors to try? Thats what I have done. It's been a very long exhausting road, I am so over working on this sled that If it didn't run yesterday It would of had a for sale sign on it today. lol

Thanks a ton for the follow up post on this and I'm glad to hear that you found the issue. I haven't had any luck yet. I bought a new fuel pump as I was convinced that it was failing due to det issues and the whining noise. Went up to test and it still detonates. I'm completely frustrated and burned out at this point so I just left it at the dealer on the way home. They said they can't touch it for 2 weeks so I'm stuck for a while. Maybe I should just go get it and put new injectors on it and go test it. Or can the mechanic test the actual injectors somehow?

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
My guess is the injectors. I personally would try those. If that doesn't fix it, maybe consider removing the turbo and trying stock to see if its something to do with the turbo or something stock...

Premium Features