• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mirage Trailers wants to hear from YOU about 2019 New Features

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I’m afraid it might be. It looks like the rust is moving up the sides of the trailer also. The screws on the outside are rusty on the bottom 1/4 of the side panels. I’m sure it’s from winter use on salted roadways, but it is built for winter use.
Lets see if we can't get them to address that.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Better heater that works when cold. glued interior so you don't have redo and caulk all the screws that come out or caulk the screws as they put them in. Maybe rivets. 2 batteries should be standard. Put more coat hooks in than trails west. 6 or 7 hooks for 4 people sucks. I use 2 to just hang my backpack. Look at Logan. They have real hooks.

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Awesome thread.
X2 regarding second battery!
Also would love to see the on off switch for heater located at the door. (That would be my number 1!! Keep the Tstat where it is if you need but run a power switch to the unit by the light switches.
Also it would be nice to have a master power for everything electrical by the door. That way on your way out you can hit That dude and be assured some stupid fan in the vent won’t kill your battery.
It’s a great trailer. I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I think the Mirage all sport is a great trailer. I don't have one, but have pulled my brother in laws some. I love the lower body, but not so low it makes the fenders hard to park on. I wouldn't mind another 2 ft. Love the big axles. For my application I don't care about all the bells and whistles, cabinets, heater, etc. we day trip and I unload the sleds after every ride and put them in the garage. I would like to see hooks on the walls. I have added hooks on every wall stud on all my enclosed trailers. Everyone always has their gear in bags so the hooks keep it off the floor.

My biggest hang up is the rust. Idaho uses so much calcium chloride on the road. Within the next 2 seasons I will be in the market for a new trailer. I would prefer steel, but have been looking at aluminum only because of the rust factor.

Last edited:

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Great trailer

I have a 28' Teton Sport with the Highmark package. It has been a great trailer. My wish list would be a second battery, insulated floor, LED strip lights and perhaps a higher output furnace for up here in Canada. Beyond that I've no complaints, it's a better trailer then the MTI that preceded it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Awesome thread.
X2 regarding second battery!
Also would love to see the on off switch for heater located at the door. (That would be my number 1!! Keep the Tstat where it is if you need but run a power switch to the unit by the light switches.
Also it would be nice to have a master power for everything electrical by the door. That way on your way out you can hit That dude and be assured some stupid fan in the vent won’t kill your battery.
It’s a great trailer. I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So just a simple MANUAL OVERIDE On-OFF switch??

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I have owned my trailer for 6 years. The trailer I have is not a Mirage but I have seen enough used trailers in my search for a new one that my biggest concern has become rust protection.

I like a lot of the features that Mirage has been offering but I would really like an aluminum trailer.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have owned my trailer for 6 years. The trailer I have is not a Mirage but I have seen enough used trailers in my search for a new one that my biggest concern has become rust protection.

I like a lot of the features that Mirage has been offering but I would really like an aluminum trailer.

Steel = RUST

Aluminum = CORROSION

There is really no magic bullet.

Screen-Shot-2014-04-02-at-3.45.26-PM.png

But I must admit I am more and more intrigued by the idea of applying something like LINEX to the entire undercarriage of the trailer??

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
But I must admit I am more and more intrigued by the idea of applying something like LINEX to the entire undercarriage of the trailer??

It still comes back to cost. I bet that option will be at least 1k especially for Linex or the like.

Powder coating or paint will be cheaper, but still a bunch of rocks or a nasty scratch from assembly or what ever and your back to square one.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Have owned both over decades, and steel axles on an aluminum trailer will be the weak link way before any structural aluminum. Darn good aluminum trailers now. Lighter does equal easier pull, but with oil burners, not relevant until you go +4 sleds.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It still comes back to cost. I bet that option will be at least 1k especially for Linex or the like.

Powder coating or paint will be cheaper, but still a bunch of rocks or a nasty scratch from assembly or what ever and your back to square one.

Ya, not even an honest guess what it would cost to SPRAY the full underside of a 28ft trailer. I suppose that can't be cheap.

BUT...
If it was done right, with LineX or Rino, that would pretty much be the end if the rust issue.

Powdercoating would be a possibility, but that would take a MIGHTY BIG OVEN and rocks would still tear that up over time, where the LineX would take the hits much better.

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
Don’t they paint the underside already? I thought mine was? Will have to take a look. Just paint doesn’t last. I like the Linex idea. Maybe your onto something.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Don’t they paint the underside already? I thought mine was? Will have to take a look. Just paint doesn’t last. I like the Linex idea. Maybe your onto something.

Yes, they paint it
But it seems a universal comment from owners that everyone would like a better long term solution

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
My worry with any type of spray in bed liner product is if the salt was able to penetrate it over time that could cause some serious structural rust problems. I don't know, just wondering about that.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Steel = RUST

Aluminum = CORROSION

There is really no magic bullet.

Screen-Shot-2014-04-02-at-3.45.26-PM.png

My enclosed Featherlite is now 17 years old.... All aluminum frame and floor. The only steel on it is the support beam for the axles, and the axles. Not one spot on the frame or floor is corroded. Its been in in the snow and salt MANY times and is always stored outside. I just make sure to pressure wash off the under side if its been out in the slop.

Cornfusion

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2017
Western Pa
Hell of a question.
I have NO real world idea....
I know of a few enclosed trailers that were rhino lined on the bottom two feet and also the frame to try to make them last. They still look good but everything behind it is rotted away and the rhino lining is basically just hanging there. Trailer manufacturers powder coat dump and equipment trailers and they dont hold up well around here either. Seems after a few stone chips it starts coming off in "sheets."

A local sandblaster/trailer and frame repainter uses Sherwin Williams macropoxy 646 and has had very good success with it. I have used it on a few on-road and off-road chassis personally and love it.

My $.02 from the land of over applied salt, calcium chloride and cinders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Premium Features