• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Proclimb 36" A-Arms Shock Recommendations

M8 Rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
Riverton Utah
I am installing the Arctic Cat 36" A-Arm kit on my 2014 M8000 Proclimb 153 LTD. I understand that you have to modify the original shocks and shorten the length. Does this modification work well or would I be better off upgrading to another shock at this time?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I just installed my 2016 front end kit too. Yes, the shock length has to be adapted for the narrower front end. As I understand it, the shocks can either be internally shortened by an internal bumper or the preferred method of cut and threaded (which gives you more shock travel). However, if you have them cut and threaded, there is no going back to the original length.

I had Andy Youngstrom do the job on my 09 M8 when I put on the Alternative Impact 36.5" front end and I am about to box my 2015 shocks up for the same modification. I think it's fairly inexpensive as well (Right around $100) to have both shocks modified and shipped home.

Although, if you were going to consider going to aftermarket shocks, this would be an excellent time to do so. You stock shocks may be worth more in their current stock length than modified to a custom length. Yet, with so many 2016 front end conversions going on, that may not be the case?

bugglin_bull

Lifetime Membership
Jan 25, 2009
I had Andy revalve my shocks on my 2014 M8000 LE and he suggested just using the bushing to shorten the shocks that came with the kit. I also had him add the Evol kit to both my front and rear shocks. Can't wait to try the set up out!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
any serious liability to just running the stock shocks from a '14 on the '16 upgrade....i'm not thinking a 1/2 inch difference would be too serious, unless someone is riding hard all the time...i've put after market shocks that were an inch longer on previous sleds in order to get the nose out of the snow, and had no problem with that application....my '14 has the '16 front end put together with the stock shocks, don't see the problem yet, maybe...:face-icon-small-con????

mountain_tamer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Rimbey, Alberta
The problem with doing that is ski pressure.

We had a bunch of guys do that here saying it was fine. I put the spacers into my 2012 when i went to 38" and i have way less ski pressure than they do steering effort is almost nothing.

L

leadfoot33

Aug 31, 2010
Prince George BC
well a new issue arose today while putting on the new front end kit, the lower a-arms now hit the tie rods when shocks are extended so we have to get hose spacers installed, thinking it must be because of differnt shape a-arm

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
^^^^yup, you are correct, the lower a-arm contacts the tie-rod if the skiis are being turned and the weight is off the skiis..:face-icon-small-sad

Last edited:

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
cant you put 2 washers under your orbital joint where it attaches to your lower a arm to give it just that much clearance? shoulf have 1/4 threads extra.,

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. Yes the shocks will fit for a 15 38'' to a 16 36'' but you will have a ton a ski pressure and sled wants to dive bad in the powder. Its actually hard to ride and will be pulling them asap

R
Dec 22, 2007
Alberta
I am putting this kit on my 14 also, with regaurds to shock if you measure air pressure with shock out and install shock with sled sitting on floor and adjust air pressure will this not work better than compressing the 1'' and loading it. I am going to upgrade shocks if it does not.

R
Dec 22, 2007
Alberta
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. Yes the shocks will fit for a 15 38'' to a 16 36'' but you will have a ton a ski pressure and sled wants to dive bad in the powder. Its actually hard to ride and will be pulling them asap
Not sure if im missing something but is ski pressure more to do with front of track more or less contact with snow

L

leadfoot33

Aug 31, 2010
Prince George BC
the front end kit needs the spacers in the shocks when fully extended the tie rods rub against the a-arm (no steering) its hard to explain but you are putting longer shocks on the front than what is required and in turn are applying more force down as the shck wants to go fully extended. in turn more ski pressure. get the spacers in if your going from 38-36 kit

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Problem is it changes the stroke. Shock ends up being in such a stiff position right off, cant change that with air pressure. Trust me I tried. New shocks are 16.33 think the 38'' are 17 if I remember right? You will also need to re-valve from I am told. Sled really want to dive and there is a ton of ski pressure. And no its not from the skid, straps are loose. And set per Kmod specs

M
Sep 14, 2010
iowa
So am I getting this right. To go from a 38" kit you need
A-Arm kit
Rebuild shocks to install Spacer.
And the internal valve's should also be changed to match the suspension.

And with all this is there enough gain in ride?

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
So am I getting this right. To go from a 38" kit you need
A-Arm kit
Rebuild shocks to install Spacer.
And the internal valve's should also be changed to match the suspension.

And with all this is there enough gain in ride?

I doubt it. If I knew up front how much of a pain and how costly I would have skipped it. I am about 2,000 in it but I did go with with some fancy front shocks, new skis and the works. We all know how these projects go? Once you start.......

Last edited:

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
I just installed my 2016 front end kit too. Yes, the shock length has to be adapted for the narrower front end. As I understand it, the shocks can either be internally shortened by an internal bumper or the preferred method of cut and threaded (which gives you more shock travel). However, if you have them cut and threaded, there is no going back to the original length.

QUOTE]
I guess I'm a bit lost by where this headed. I was planning to go to the '16 front end on my '15. The dealer has a guy who can internally shorten the shock rather than cut and shorten and do it locally. If I go that route, are there still issues with tie rod clearance, ski pressure etc? I've heard great things about the '16 front end but don't want to spend the money if there are significant drawbacks.

Premium Features