• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

yamaha's new YXZ1000R sport side by side

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
this thing looks pretty sweet. the manual transmission really sets it aside from anything else out there right now (i have not drove one...it just seems like a fun idea for a machine like this). what are your thoughts. anyone been in one yet?

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/models/2016/yxz1000r

998cc DOHC inline three-cylinder ----- fantastic midrange torque and a thrilling 10,500 rpm redline.

5-speed sequential manual external transmission ---- A beefy hydraulically-actuated clutch system is operated by an automotive-style foot pedal for light, consistent feel and an entirely new sports SxS experience

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQYhrRuwOJM[/YT]

img.jpg

img.jpg

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
i am having a hard time thinking that the wife will like driving a manual transmission though. can she do it, yes. is the good at it, not really. and when she looks at any of the other brands and see she can just mash the go pedal and not shift...............im thinking she wont want to have anything to do with this yamaha.

but on the other hand, when i got a new dodge pickup a few years ago, i really wanted the manual tranny in that. but, the wife talked me out of it. "she said...well what if i need to drive it in town?" (we live in a rural area, and she will drive a stick shift around here, but she hates it in town). so i did what every good husband does and listened to her. now i have a dodge ram with a ticking time bomb behind the engine........and a wife that has drove my pickup "in the big city" maybe a half dozen times.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
i am having a hard time thinking that the wife will like driving a manual transmission though. can she do it, yes. is the good at it, not really. and when she looks at any of the other brands and see she can just mash the go pedal and not shift...............im thinking she wont want to have anything to do with this yamaha.

but on the other hand, when i got a new dodge pickup a few years ago, i really wanted the manual tranny in that. but, the wife talked me out of it. "she said...well what if i need to drive it in town?" (we live in a rural area, and she will drive a stick shift around here, but she hates it in town). so i did what every good husband does and listened to her. now i have a dodge ram with a ticking time bomb behind the engine........and a wife that has drove my pickup "in the big city" maybe a half dozen times.

Check Yamaha's accessories for it. They offer a rekluse clutch just for that. Makes it nice if the wife wants to drive it every once in awhile or just putting around but yet can still use the manual when charging the trails/dunes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
I was just about to haul out the Rekluse word as well.....

I am looking forward to trying one of these.

Any idea how much HP?

Last edited:
Y

yamahajohnson220

Jan 4, 2008
Let's just say 300hp is a possibility. Remember this SxS has a manual transmission so the power loss is less than a cvt transmission.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
115hp and that manual stick shift.
More power to the wheels than the 118hp naturally aspirated RZR1000?

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Very nice!
I want one,I wonder what msrp will be here in Canada....well north of 20,000 I'm sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
115hp and that manual stick shift.
More power to the wheels than the 118hp naturally aspirated RZR1000?

I am very interested to see some side by side comparisons.
I am expecting the efficiency increase of the stick shift over a cvt will be much higher than a few hp.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Not sure how the tranny will fair amongst all riders, be a lot more work for general riding, time will tell

Nice to see Yammy with something positive, drop the price on them all

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Not sure how the tranny will fair amongst all riders, be a lot more work for general riding, time will tell

Nice to see Yammy with something positive, drop the price on them all

After using a RZR 4 1k last year during hunting season, a stick shift might be difficult in some aspects.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
After using a RZR 4 1k last year during hunting season, a stick shift might be difficult in some aspects.

You are probably right.
This rig would not be my choice for hunting.
But this is not made for hunting either.

However, I had a Honda 250R, and shifting was not an issue at all.

I have not driven a Maverick
or a Razr 1000
or a Wildcat
but would buy this Yammy over them all, sight unseen if I were to buy this style machine.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
You are probably right.
This rig would not be my choice for hunting.
But this is not made for hunting either.

However, I had a Honda 250R, and shifting was not an issue at all.

I have not driven a Maverick
or a Razr 1000
or a Wildcat
but would buy this Yammy over them all, sight unseen if I were to buy this style machine.

Agreed, it's not a hunting rig. Lol

Premium Features