• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fork setup?

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Sending my forks off this week for springs and valving.

I know everybody says stiff on the front.

But question is, can I set them up to be softer in the first half of the stroke, or is that a no no?

Current bike done by White Power years ago is set up that way, and like it for dirt. Plush on the trails, and won't bottom on a big hit.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
What kit are you running it with? SX or a setup with TSS??

I know on the SX kit's due to the increase plushness of the rear the forks take less abuse, so the new TSS setups should act similar. That being said, stiff stiff stiff. I have yet to ride a set that seemed "harsh" like they do on dirt. I enjoy jumping mine quite a bit and stock YZ valving and fork springs with higher oil levels and clickers maxed out I can still hit bottom fairly easily when goofing around and I am only 155#.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
New 500XCW with LT TSS is the plan. Got the bike and slowly getting stuff together now, and/or done up.

Weight = double you, plus 10 more pounds! Played around on Race Tech site, and they don't even have springs that would go as high as they recommended. Think they said I'd need 57, and they went to 54.

L
Jun 26, 2008
i weigh 180 and run .54's on my 500xcw, seems about right. ive got a buddy that found some really stiff springs for the open cartridge ktm forks, in the 6 range, think they are for a 950 adventure application. might work for you?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i weigh 180 and run .54's on my 500xcw, seems about right. ive got a buddy that found some really stiff springs for the open cartridge ktm forks, in the 6 range, think they are for a 950 adventure application. might work for you?
Its not purely spring rate as well. more aggressive valving makes a big difference. Super stiff springs wth an XCW fork setup is still gonna be fairly soft as its all springs and no oil. I rode a husaberg 570 that is super mushy in summer that we swapped .56 springs into and I hit the bottoms fairly easy still. Not like stock but still easy, it was just more like a pogo stick as the valving didnt slow the big hits down.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Stillwell suspension just did mine. For snowbike and mountain singletrack they set me up with 54s I think, Id have to double check. On a 15 450 XCF and 240# rider. I think a lot has to do with valving

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Stillwell suspension just did mine. For snowbike and mountain singletrack they set me up with 54s I think, Id have to double check. On a 15 450 XCF and 240# rider. I think a lot has to do with valving

Did you get to talk to Stillwell about what they thought would work with the Mountain Horse and single track?

Found a guy I'm liking, he's a little gun shy about the snowbike part, but very confident I'd like his single track setup.

Last edited:

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Yeah I talked with Stillwell. They set me up with a .50. Just checked. Then when snowbiking I adjust compression and rebound from what I singletrack with. So far I like it on the dirt only time will tell on snow

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
You keeping the stock seat?

Holy baby Jesus, my butt hurt after 2 one hundred mile days of single and fire roads!:face-icon-small-sad

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
My seat concepts went on yesterday, butt still in bad shape, butt seems better!:face-icon-small-ton

Next time i'll learn to double check everything from the dealer before riding, I knew they had too much air in the tires, but didn't have a gauge with me in the hills.

Checked yesterday and they had 28 in the front and 30 in the rear, not good for rocky trails!

Premium Features