• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

One cylinder loading up on fuel 02 800 RMK

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
If you test for spark this way ^^ make FNGing sure your not going to blow a bunch of raw gas out of the plug holes that is puddled in the crankcase. Spark from the grounded plug turns the engine into instant flamethrower, very bad mon!!

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Plug the PTO side plug wire onto the MAG side plug. MAG plug wire to PTO plug. See if the issue follows that side of the coil. Or if a buddy has a similar sled you can swap his on and see if it's fixed. Most the Liberty twin motors had the same coil..

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Plug the PTO side plug wire onto the MAG side plug. MAG plug wire to PTO plug. See if the issue follows that side of the coil. Or if a buddy has a similar sled you can swap his on and see if it's fixed. Most the Liberty twin motors had the same coil..

You're kidding me right? That's like changing the plug wires all around on your car, and see what happens. Changing to another coil, I can agree with. I even have one for sale for $40. Just PM me.

D
Dec 22, 2008
We did take the coil off the 700 & tried it, same problem. Also switched plug wires around and the problem did not follow to the other side so I think the coil is fine. tested the olms on the stator and all that is good as well. still scratching our heads on it..

Johnny T.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Arlington MN
Yes, Switched reeds around and same problem. I just pulled the jug off to look at the piston/sleeve and everything looks fine. Pretty much out of ideas. One thing that does come to mind is that I did put silicon over the cracks in the airbox to seal it up tight (Cracks where they put the two halves of the airbox together). Would this somehow freakishly cause one cylinder to load up? We're out of ideas and do not know what to do. Never ran into something like this before.

So far we have:

Switched to a different set of carbs
Switched reeds around
Switched plugs
Switched plug wires
Checked the ohms on the stator
Switched fuel pump
Put new Float/seat/needle in bad side
Checked exhaust valves
Switched coil out with another sled
Switched jets around
Checked needles
We've had the carbs apart several times
Checked the Y pipe and exhaust for mice nests or anything else that could possibly get in there

Can It be something stupid like the fuel shutoff? The silicon in the airbox? Guessing not as this would most likely cause the other cylinder to act up but.. We're out of ideas. I'm willing to send some $$ to the person who figures this disaster out.

Thanks!

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
You're kidding me right? That's like changing the plug wires all around on your car, and see what happens. Changing to another coil, I can agree with. I even have one for sale for $40. Just PM me.

Oh I don't kid when a guy is trying to trouble shoot a sled when there's good snow to be had. The coil has just two wires entering (and it's not grounded through it's mount), it can only receive one signal--fire, and there is no "switch" inside that directs electricity to each plug on every other fire. It's much simpler than a car with a distributor or coil packs. New coils are only $40 anyway: http://www.mfgsupply.com/01-143-69.html

To the OP, that's a tough one! I'm running low on ideas. I'd probably pull the jugs if it were me. Maybe a cracked skirt or something weird, that you would want to catch ASAP.

Edit: you posted that you have a cylinder off as I wrote this out. How's it look?

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
rdr99 might have hit it. Crank out of phase? Had any violent belt explosions lately?

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
You can try changing out the cylinder head O-rings to new Polaris high temperature O-rings. One side may be leaking coolant into the cylinder, which will screw it up fast.

L

likinit2

Jul 4, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Check the needle, the clip held down by the allen screw may be loose which will let the needle ride up out of position when you go anything over idle flooding the motor. Then shut it down the needle drops to where it belongs and it all starts over again when you rev it up.

Premium Features