• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spot alternative... Looking at Resqlink

D
Jun 28, 2012
Northern Utah
Has anybody used an ACR Rescqlink PLD before or one similar? Or do you own one. I like the appeal of it notifying search and rescue of an emergency without charging me a subscription fee. I called my local search and rescue, and the sheriff there took the time to research how it works for me. When you hit the "help" button it sends a signal to the SAR satellite network with your GPS location. That message gets relayed to US mission Control, they then send it to Tyndall Air Force Base in Florida, who then contacts the local search and rescue. Sounds convoluted, but the Florida deputy said it works very well.

With the ACR there is also the ability to send a message to loved ones for a subscription fee, however it is not required to subscribe to send the help signal.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
In addition to my SPOT I also carry a PLB as a failsafe.
ACR makes some VERY nice units.

The PLB I carry was designed for SCUBA divers that get separated from their dive boat in the open ocean. I have had it for 10 years and its still going strong.

IMC1500-10_L.jpg

If I was going to buy a new one, I would get the ACR ResQLink+
ResQLink.jpg

D
Jun 28, 2012
Northern Utah
In addition to my SPOT I also carry a PLB as a failsafe.
ACR makes some VERY nice units.

The PLB I carry was designed for SCUBA divers that get separated from their dive boat in the open ocean. I have had it for 10 years and its still going strong.

IMC1500-10_L.jpg

If I was going to buy a new one, I would get the ACR ResQLink+
ResQLink.jpg

Do you know if the battery is sealed and not rechargeable? ACR has a replacement program if you ever use it to be rescued, and I don't imagine them needing such a program unless it is a one time use device. Any insight?

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I use a delorme inreach gps,yes it cost 15$ a month,but the 2 way texting is great

There is no fee for help either with inreach, but you have to have a suscription fee and actually the best part is you can let family know you are safe throughout the day and down at the truck without them worrying while you drink a beer in the trailer! You can also stop it at anytime although I use mine throughout the year dirt biking, mountain biking and kite surfing in off piste destinations....the sat coverage is way better than my spot and messages get sent way faster because of that and the new se version allows you to do everything from the one devise...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Do you know if the battery is sealed and not rechargeable? ACR has a replacement program if you ever use it to be rescued, and I don't imagine them needing such a program unless it is a one time use device. Any insight?
My unit is sealed.
I have to replace the battery every few years.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Keep in mind, from a sledding perspective, the ACR is not even close to a replacement for the Spot or inreach.

Have you ever WATCHED S&R operate? This is not a full speed ahead kind of operation. To get S&R into the areas where we're likely to have a problem is a much bigger deal than most realize.

Having the ability to contact OTHER REAL SLEDDERS, imo is a MUCH better way to survive in most situations form a sled perspective.

OEUnlimited

Premium Member
Nov 2, 2012
Hudson Valley, NY
www.oeunlimited.com
Keep in mind, from a sledding perspective, the ACR is not even close to a replacement for the Spot or inreach.

Have you ever WATCHED S&R operate? This is not a full speed ahead kind of operation. To get S&R into the areas where we're likely to have a problem is a much bigger deal than most realize.

Having the ability to contact OTHER REAL SLEDDERS, imo is a MUCH better way to survive in most situations form a sled perspective.

While I agree that contacting nearby sledders, etc. would be helpful in an emergency, nothing can beat the reliability of a PLB. Spot's are notorious for being unreliable, which isn't a big deal for "I'm ok" or tracking, but a huge deal when you are in real trouble. The Inreach has better coverage, but is still not at the level of a PLB.

I would always recommend carrying multiple forms of rescue device if you are in the backcountry.

Another advantage of a PLB is the 406mhz radio signal and GPS transmission - we had a boater who rented a PLB with us, his vessel was taking on water, he was sinking. He was able to use a cell phone to call 911 which put him through to the coast guard which sent a helicopter. The coast guard also transmitted to other ships to be on the look out (much like the other riders in your scenario) BUT, the Coast Guard also told him to set off the PLB so they could follow the radio/gps signal right in and find him quickly and easy.

Even if other sledders find you, a PLB can direct a helicopter, emergency services, etc to your exact location much easier than any other device.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
do you all have any links or best places and more info on the PLB or PLD which abbreviation is it?

sounds like a good help tool, I have been got info on the spot and see the Inreach at local sports store but haven`t asked or gotten the flyer yet.

Thanks, Wildcard

OEUnlimited

Premium Member
Nov 2, 2012
Hudson Valley, NY
www.oeunlimited.com
do you all have any links or best places and more info on the PLB or PLD which abbreviation is it?

sounds like a good help tool, I have been got info on the spot and see the Inreach at local sports store but haven`t asked or gotten the flyer yet.

Thanks, Wildcard

It's PLB for "Personal Locator Beacon"

Here is the manufacturer link for the ACR ResQlink: http://www.acrartex.com/products/catalog/personal-locator-beacons/resqlink-plb/

There are other brands of PLBs as well, like McMurdo, etc.

REI has a good write up on PLBs, vs Spot, etc.:
http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/personal-locator-beacons.html

And some info from our website as well:
http://www.oerentals.com/plbrental.html
http://www.oerentals.com/plbvseprib.html

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The unreliability issue with spot & inreach are often based on someone pulling it out, sending an ok, and putting it away in about a minute or two. They do take time to locate, like any GPS device. In a rescue scenario you'll leave it on, which increases your likelihood of finding & retaining signal.

Btw, not sure about other places, but around here you're not going to get a heli from a PLB... not gonna happen. You can't give them information, so they're not going to waste that resource on you, not knowing what the situation is.

You're going to sit there for many hours waiting for them to ride in what they can on sleds, then skin the rest of the way, since they're on 1997 or 98 rmk 700's with a bunch of gear on them... so they're not likely to sled to somewhere you can't get yourself out of.

The time factor paired with lack of communication imo makes the PLB a distant second.

Premium Features