• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What all do you do to get a sled ready for the winter?

S

sledless bdh

Nov 4, 2008
Hermiston, Oregon
I am getting the sleds out of the garage soon......let hear what everyone does to get their sleds ready for the season.

I will start it off......
2007 dragon and 2008 600rmk. Inspect belt, top off oil, put some fresh gas in(emptied in spring) and fire them up. Thinking I should do more......

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
- Re-grease the suspension, and check all the components to ensure they are straight and functioning properly.
- Tension the track
- Take apart the ski spindles to clean and grease every piece (These corrode and rust up a lot each season). Replace worn bushings as needed.
- Check front suspension components.
- Clean exhaust valves. Replace springs (very cheap) and check bellows for tears.
- Wipe down engine looking for any oil spots (leaking gaskets, etc), loose electrical connections, oil lines, gas lines (replace filter if needed).
- Clean clutch surfaces, check belt tension.
- Check drive chain tension (replace lube if needed)
- Check air box for debris and reseal with clear silicone around headlight, windshield tabs, etc.
- Wash and wax sled.
- Do a little garage boondocking....making motor sounds optional.

Last edited:

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Ive been practicing my bunny hop side to side, might have bent the running boards. Making the motor noise does help! Thanks!

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
If you have over 1,000 miles on your flyweights you may want to check and replace the bushings. If you have over 1,600 miles take a good look at your primary rollers, if sloppy replace them. The day you have enough snow for a road ride, get out and get on it in order to make sure it's gonna run right when the real snow comes.

S

St0rm77

Oct 17, 2009
Fort McMurray, Alberta
1) check all electrical connections (dielectric grease ), especially buffing the new ground as per increasing your IQ.
2) change plugs
3) clean clutches and inspect for wear ( internal)
4) check suspension for correct travel and rebound.... rebuild shocks if req'd.
5) grease evrything ( where ever there is a grease zerk, grease it; if there is no zerk, i have added them.
6)check sliders, check track tension, check boggies spin freely ( had several with seized bearings last year)
7) top up oil
8) add fresh gas.
9) start and check all lights work.
10) let warm up fully, then check for leaks under hood.
11) have a beer, then scrub her down, wax 'er up, and start praying for snow!!!

but those are my steps, and don't necessarily occur in that order.... usually more beer stops in there

B

BC_mtn_rider

Nov 11, 2012
Surrey B.C.
my favorite is the beer part!!!! it seems like that gets in the way of the rest of my "to do" list........and the pray for snow part!

2010 Dragon 800 155, GMC Sierra DenaliHD, box O Bud & the boys!

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
I am getting the sleds out of the garage soon......let hear what everyone does to get their sleds ready for the season.

I will start it off......
2007 dragon and 2008 600rmk. Inspect belt, top off oil, put some fresh gas in(emptied in spring) and fire them up. Thinking I should do more......

In addition to the other suggestions;

1) Replace fuel filter, (especially on CFI's)

2) Check air box and exhaust outlet for debris (mice nests, etc)

3) Put a little oil down the cylinders prior to start-up

4) Add 1/2 quart of oil to the first full tank of fuel to help lube crankcase bearings

5) Replace primary clutch spring & secondary spring at the start of each and every season

Premium Features