• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 700 BD PG problems

R

rymo84

Sep 14, 2008
Iowa
Mine to. Iv been told to build a bigger air box and get engagement down to 4100-4200 rpms

S

snowman429

Jan 1, 2008
Rigby, Id
Ok I need some people to do me a favor. What I need is for a couple different people with a BD set up to use the bypass plug and see if it throws a code. After talking to BD it sounds like its the harness. If it is great, if it's not that more money I have wasted. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
S

snowman429

Jan 1, 2008
Rigby, Id
Well today I was finally able to get to BD and get a new plug and play harness. Wasn't able to install it yet. While I was there I decided to buy a Innovate air/fuel gauge. I'm going to mount the sensor right in the bend after the turbo. I'm going to make a small bracket and mount the gauge on the bars. Can I pull power off the same plug that my oil pump is connected to, or is there another place that i can get power from? Would running the air/fuel gauge, Koso dual egt gauge, oil pump, and BD box be pulling to much power?

S

snowman429

Jan 1, 2008
Rigby, Id
Well went out and hooked up the harness and same thing. Bypass the box and check engine light flashes. Going to install the air/fuel gauge and see what the air/fuel ratio is and go from there.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
I'm still thinking it's an injector or broken wire to the injector, this is where mine had a broken wire right at the connector ....

167796_1658596038075_1632373362_1490348_3080729_n-1.jpg

S

snowman429

Jan 1, 2008
Rigby, Id
I would think that if it was an injector it would trigger the check engine light when I hook the oem connector into the ecu. If it still doing it tomorrow I will tear it down and check the injectors and wires. I installed an air/fuel gauge today so hopefully if it does it I can see if its going rich or lean at that time.

Gracefull

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I'm still thinking it's an injector or broken wire to the injector, this is where mine had a broken wire right at the connector ....

that doesn't look like the injector wires, it looks like the harness that goes to your det,water temp sensors??

Last edited:

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
that doesn't look like the injector wires, it looks like the harness that goes to your det,water temp sensors??

2 wires that come directly off the injector. From the factory the are direct wired into the loom, when the dealer replaced the injectors they spliced the new wires into the old harness.

Gracefull

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
2 wires that come directly off the injector. From the factory the are direct wired into the loom, when the dealer replaced the injectors they spliced the new wires into the old harness.

AH ok, sorry bout that. it just didnt look like the stock harness.:face-icon-small-blu

J
Dec 18, 2009
Salt lake City
Ill try and look at mine this weekend,The box was tied into the red blue by the ecm if my memory serves me correct and it was freaking out the ecm. I moved it to one of the wires off the regulator and it solved the problem but i don't remember the color of that wire.

S

snowman429

Jan 1, 2008
Rigby, Id
Ill try and look at mine this weekend,The box was tied into the red blue by the ecm if my memory serves me correct and it was freaking out the ecm. I moved it to one of the wires off the regulator and it solved the problem but i don't remember the color of that wire.
Are you talking about the EBC? If so I'm not running one.

S

snowman429

Jan 1, 2008
Rigby, Id
Ok, well I found a new problem. I pulled the plugs out to day to double check the gaps. When I pulled the mag plug out I noticed a white oily film on it. Looking down in the cylinder I could see that the top of the piston was wet. I put the plugs back in fired it up. I ran it until it got up to operating temp. Once it was warmed up I ran it up to 6100 rpm, held it there for a few seconds and shut it off. Pulled the mag plug again and shined my flashlight into the cylinder. The top of the piston was clean, no carbon. Looked like a new piston. I haven't noticed any coolant loss. I know on my old 03 800 I pinched a oring and it was sucking coolant and the piston was clean. I'm hoping it's just the orings, or base gasket.

S

snowman429

Jan 1, 2008
Rigby, Id
Ok pulled the head off. I guess it was just the way the light was hitting the piston. Both pistons were black and oily. I replaced the orings anyways. I guess I'm back to square one. :(

S

snowman429

Jan 1, 2008
Rigby, Id
Well went out and rode yesterday. Still have the bog, My AFR at the bog was 12-13. I messed with the fuel numbers and psi and still bogs. I do need to lean it out on the top end i was at 10-11.5 on my a/f gauge on a up hill pull at 6psi. I'm going to check the tps. After playing with the numbers and watching my a/f gauge. I'm starting to think maybe clutches, gonna pull them and completely go through them.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
On the boosted 800's from 08/09 there was an updated flash to the ecu that worked best with the BD boost kits. When the top end recalls came out the upgrade included a new flash that gave symptoms similar to yours. Many of us had to go back to a tech with the digital wrench and install a flash that was not the most current. I want to say on the digital wrench has it listed as the "superseded 09" flash. I am not positive on that though. Superdave3 or JKinzer or mountainhorse on here would know. Again, I know this to be an 800 issue for sure but not certain on the 700's.

Might also check your exhaust valves to make sure they are functioning properly. TPS is always a good idea. Made my boosted 08 start on first pull instead of 2nd or 3rd. Good luck man. Hope ya get it dialed. EW

Premium Features