• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Moving 159" skid back to run a new 163" track? Pro's and Con's

880summitxrs

Lifetime Membership
Aug 1, 2009
I was in a pickle late last year and wrecked my 159" track and found a new 163" for a good price and through it on but as you might know it when I went to tighten it up it was just to loose so tore it back out, took a few measurements and slid the skid back about an inch. Now for this year was wondering if i should just leave it or actully buy a set of 163 rails. I gues my real question is how does this actully affect the handling of the sled? When I rode it lase year seemed fine but that was just for one ride.

dooxtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
WY
I have thought about putting a 163 on my 159 rail and if I remember correctly you can buy a big wheel kit and that will take up most, if not all the extra track length. That way you don't have to move anything.

880summitxrs

Lifetime Membership
Aug 1, 2009
Should have mentioned that I have custome ice age rails that were made for the 9" wheel kit I run. I thought the same thing right up till I rememberd that they were made for my wheels.

M
Oct 24, 2008
Fort St James
Ride it and love it!!! I moved my skid back a few years ago to clear the extroverts and love the way the sled handles now. I found absolutely no cons to the deal

H
Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
A couple of pro's on moving it back are you will have a better approach angle, and it will climb out on to the powder better. The con's are handling on the trail, and weight transfer. On sleds that I slid the skid back, I usually had to loosen the limiter strap a little. On the trail they some times feel a little nose heavy because it changes the weight center point on the sled but it can be reversed by adding preload to the front springs. It shouldn't be to big of a deal just a little set up to make it work right.

Last edited:

880summitxrs

Lifetime Membership
Aug 1, 2009
Thanks everyone I think im just going to leave it the way it is. Sounds like its not really to big of a deal to run it like it is!!!

Premium Features