• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BETTER BOARD INSTALLATION 09-11 M series

S

silvester

Dec 15, 2009
Grand County Colorado
I asked some questions on here for info for the install of these boards on my 09 cat and got some help, but I thought I'd give a little more in depth info for anyone else looking at these. The Better Board Rep helped me out with further information on install, as well as sending me additional rivets....so great support but this install is allot of work. There are allot of options out there for the 09-11 m-series, hopefully these work well for the epic install time required. I expected a fair amount of cutting, which proved to be the easy part, the time consuming part is removing a thousand rivets and getting everything to fit back together. Set aside a whole day on this install if you have done them before, if it's your first time maybe more. They should be super stiff which might make these different than some other brands performance wise.
So here is the short of the long install, you have to remove the stock tunnel support bracket and the whole outer rail, then cut everything out, grind it flat, then figure out how to reinstall it all back together with everything sitting an 1/8th inch higher. Make sure to get additional rivets from better boards as you will need around 100. And word on the street is that the powder coated boards are the only ones that work against snow sticking.
First ride is next weekend so we'll see how they do.

P1050038.jpg P1050046.jpg P1050048.jpg P1050053.jpg P1050054.jpg P1050056.jpg P1050063.jpg

Last edited:
K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
Good write up. May have made sense to powdercoat the supports against the tunnel and the grip rails while you had them off so snow wouldn't stick to those either.

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
Just by looking at it, it looks like you are supposed to install the orange insert above the support rail, not the rail above the insert. You would think they would have designed it to use the stock rivet holes and not have to cut that support bar at the front and drill new rivet holes.

Yep, I looked at the picture on the better board website. You installed the boards wrong. No need to cut the inner support brace or drill new rivet holes. Under, not over dude! LOL

Last edited:

1BIGCAT

Jan 15, 2008
Manitou Springs, Colorado
Whats required to install the wrp boards. Looking at a set of these but dont want to spend a day putting them on.

Take brace off,then cut center out just like the better boards, then mount new board, the wrp board has the support built into them so you don't need to install the stock one and that's it.

1BIGCAT

Jan 15, 2008
Manitou Springs, Colorado
IMG_20111108_182143.jpg

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
Awwww, really nice, except they screwed up the toe. That's going to pack full. lol

Fastlanes are the best production boards.

S

silvester

Dec 15, 2009
Grand County Colorado
Just by looking at it, it looks like you are supposed to install the orange insert above the support rail, not the rail above the insert. You would think they would have designed it to use the stock rivet holes and not have to cut that support bar at the front and drill new rivet holes.

Yep, I looked at the picture on the better board website. You installed the boards wrong. No need to cut the inner support brace or drill new rivet holes. Under, not over dude! LOL

Not the case, As I explained, I spoke several times with the Rep, first making sure they sent me the right board, and second understanding the install. The picture on the website is not for a 2009-2011, it's an M7 which is a different Tunnel and running board design from 2005-2007. I wish it was that simple mynewuseddoo.....But it wasn't

We'll test them out to see the improvement over stock soon, the snow is stacking up nicely in CO.

S

silvester

Dec 15, 2009
Grand County Colorado
You asked in another thread, and I answered you with the pictures .... so you got a little help!

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2810752#post2810752

Didn't it help you....?

Rukus, you did help, thanks. And Rich from Better Boards did too, who
i did mentioned as the rep. All the intense Grinding and Air hammering knocked out some short term memory as I was posting. But really I just wanted to try to illustrate more in depth the steps along the way to install.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Wow.

I didn't realize those were going to be such a b*tch to install.

Hope they're happy sitting on my shelf.

Anyone wanna buy a set of these for this sled?

Never installed, brand new, they're just outta the package is all.

i'll sell them for $150 shipped.

S

silvester

Dec 15, 2009
Grand County Colorado
Good write up. May have made sense to powdercoat the supports against the tunnel and the grip rails while you had them off so snow wouldn't stick to those either.

I was not as concerned with them catching snow, but i also want to ride next weekend and not wait for parts:) It would look cool though

S

silvester

Dec 15, 2009
Grand County Colorado
Wow.

I didn't realize those were going to be such a b*tch to install.

Hope they're happy sitting on my shelf.

Anyone wanna buy a set of these for this sled?

Never installed, brand new, they're just outta the package is all.

i'll sell them for $150 shipped.

Go for the glory of the story to tell about the install!!!

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
S

silvester

Dec 15, 2009
Grand County Colorado
No silvester, you are looking at the wrong pic buddy.

Here ya go, check out the pics of the 2009-2011 boards.

http://www.snowmobilebetterboards.com/arctic-cat-m-series-better-boards-6.html

Who ever helped you out showed you the scenic route and needs to be cuffed up side the heeeeed. It should have been a couple hour install at best from what I can tell.

I hope this helps.

Not sure about the board in that pic. It is definitely different. I talked with Rich from better boards on the phone, and clarified several times about the boards I got, if they were the right one, install, ect. He explained that they settled on the design like I installed to maximize support because there just isn't enough meat to rivet the board too and have strength after cutting out the factory foot well without gong back further under the edge and brace. I can verify that much is true. Some other boards delete the factory tunnel supports and incorporate them into the new boards because there is so little room. I've since talked with several people about the install and they all have the same set up and install as me. See also Rukus' post. The picture might be some one off deal they did, but not what they sell for 09-11 m-series.

Premium Features