• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Beacon Basin @ Nobletts

BossRev

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Craig, Grant and Ted will be setting up the Beacon Basin this Friday at the Nobletts trail head.
They could really use any and everyones help in doing so.
I would be there except I am out in Portland until Saturday.

As you all know the Beacon Basin is a great free to sledders beacon training facility.
Where you can learn to use you beacon efficiently and work on everything from single to multiple recoveries.
This is a Great tool the UAC set's up for us.

If you can, Please be there Friday Morning.

Last edited:
A

avyhunter

Nov 23, 2008
We can do 10:00 AM or shoot for around 1:00 PM... your call. Thanks everyone for all the help. A few extra hands will make short work of this! Feel free to call if you have questions 801-231-2170 or email craig@utahavalanchecenter.org
I'll be away from this forum til late this afternoon.
Cheers.

H
Dec 12, 2009
Given the anti-sled crap that the UAC posts on their website, I'm rather surprised that they have the balls to come to this forum at all.

Last edited:

BossRev

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Given the anti-sled crap that the UAC posts on their website, I'm rather surprised that they have the balls to come to this forum at all.

I agree with some of what you have expressed in the recent pass, however
this is something that is done to help sledders stay "in tune" with their avy equipment.
Craig and Grant are out there in our areas forecasting for us.
And I 100% support the work they do for us as a community.

Ball's? Go chasing Hurricanes and Avalanches for "fun" and then come talk about Balls.
These guys are to tough to run from a few internet lip flappers.....

H
Dec 12, 2009
Ball's? Go chasing Hurricanes and Avalanches for "fun" and then come talk about Balls.
These guys are to tough to run from a few internet lip flappers.....

Wait are you suggesting that the UAC chases hurricanes, or that hurricanes are in any way related to avalanches, or.... what was the point anyway?

On the subject though, a good avalanche forecaster doesn't have a dangerous job so I'm not sure what balls have to do with it.

BossRev

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Wait are you suggesting that the UAC chases hurricanes, or that hurricanes are in any way related to avalanches, or.... what was the point anyway?

On the subject though, a good avalanche forecaster doesn't have a dangerous job so I'm not sure what balls have to do with it.

It was in reference to what Craig does when the snow melts. And yes it takes Balls to go chasing Hurricanes out in the Caribbean and Atlantic.

SledGimp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Heber, UT
Craig and the gang,

Let me be the first to apologize for the comments regarding UAC, I am one who is truly grateful for all you do for us and the sledding community.

SG

Chief

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
SL,UT
Sorry Craig;

Too little notice this year; I can't get away from work to help.

Catch you next year!

Rich

A

avyhunter

Nov 23, 2008
Sorry all for the short notice about the install. Actually something came up on our end as well and tomorrow won't fly. Looks like early next week.
As always... thanks for all the support!
Cheers.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Sorry all for the short notice about the install. Actually something came up on our end as well and tomorrow won't fly. Looks like early next week.
As always... thanks for all the support!
Cheers.

Good thing, as per sale of my sled deck this evening Johnny and I wouldn't be able to make it tomorrow either. Is Monday on your schedule ? We could give you a hand then.

A

avyhunter

Nov 23, 2008
Sounds like timing is everything and yes, Monday could work. Got a couple of crazy days coming up and will touch base with you before the end of the weekend. Thanks... you guys are awesome!

A
Apr 8, 2008
Bountiful, UT
Craig and the gang,

Let me be the first to apologize for the comments regarding UAC, I am one who is truly grateful for all you do for us and the sledding community.

SG

Agreed. Go look at any other states avalanche center's website and let me know who has the most information, and the best reports? At least our guys give it to you in an entertaining way and you don't fall asleep halfway through it.

I could help out later next week, early won't work for me though.

M

mchilcutt

Dec 24, 2007
"let it rest"

I am a sledder, a backcountry skier and ski the resort. This whole skier sledder thing needs to be put to bed. Growing up skiing then making the transition to snowmobiling 15 yrs ago i was amazed at how little Avy respect, knowledge, and gear some sledders had when i started riding. Dont get me wrong i have made several stupid moves riding and skiing while in the BC. I have put myself and other sledders below me in danger several times due to uncontrolled adrenaline.
The fact that we have the (UAC) working to save us, our friends and our family members lives is a great gift and should not be looked past! I really hate to see the negativity floating around about he did this or he did that ****. Bottom line is we need to respect one another views as skiers and sledders and if you cant do that please just bit your tongue and move on.
It is one thing to own a beacon it is another thing to actually know how to find someone buried, dig them out and resesitate in a timely manner. Not saying im an expert and i have been very blessed for 30yrs to never have to use my avy gear other than practice.
Just my 2 cents. I want all snowmobiliers to understand we are the ones who need the training and knowledge. After all we are putting 550 to 650 lbs on steep slopes with very little help near by if things go bad. So take advantage of what the UAC has to offer it might make the difference of you making it home to your family alive!!
MC

SledGimp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Heber, UT
Bottom line is we need to respect one another views as skiers and sledders and if you cant do that please just bit your tongue and move on.
It is one thing to own a beacon it is another thing to actually know how to find someone buried, dig them out and resesitate in a timely manner.

Here Here

D

Dabull

Nov 26, 2007
utah
I am a sledder, a backcountry skier and ski the resort. This whole skier sledder thing needs to be put to bed. Growing up skiing then making the transition to snowmobiling 15 yrs ago i was amazed at how little Avy respect, knowledge, and gear some sledders had when i started riding. Dont get me wrong i have made several stupid moves riding and skiing while in the BC. I have put myself and other sledders below me in danger several times due to uncontrolled adrenaline.
The fact that we have the (UAC) working to save us, our friends and our family members lives is a great gift and should not be looked past! I really hate to see the negativity floating around about he did this or he did that ****. Bottom line is we need to respect one another views as skiers and sledders and if you cant do that please just bit your tongue and move on.
It is one thing to own a beacon it is another thing to actually know how to find someone buried, dig them out and resesitate in a timely manner. Not saying im an expert and i have been very blessed for 30yrs to never have to use my avy gear other than practice.
Just my 2 cents. I want all snowmobiliers to understand we are the ones who need the training and knowledge. After all we are putting 550 to 650 lbs on steep slopes with very little help near by if things go bad. So take advantage of what the UAC has to offer it might make the difference of you making it home to your family alive!!
MC

mark my man,you know i will never bite my tongue...:face-icon-small-win

Last edited:
H
Dec 12, 2009
Bottom line is we need to respect one another views as skiers and sledders and if you cant do that please just bit your tongue and move on.

The problem here isn't just a difference...

Snowmobilers aren't the ones calling legislators, picketing trails and enlisting the help of every tree hugging environmentalist to try and rid the world of skiers. The problem won't stop until the skiers realize they aren't the only ones with access to public property

M

mchilcutt

Dec 24, 2007
The problem here isn't just a difference...

Snowmobilers aren't the ones calling legislators, picketing trails and enlisting the help of every tree hugging environmentalist to try and rid the world of skiers. The problem won't stop until the skiers realize they aren't the only ones with access to public property

I agree i guess the point i try to make is UAC does a great service for everyone entering the backcountry and i would hate to see that service go away due to all the BS stired up from a small percentage of such a large group. Anywhere you go people have that difference of opinion. But like it was said earlier the UAC guys dont seem to care as they continue to provide a service while putting there lives at risk for us.
"Uintas rule" and there be plenty o riding with no interferance from skiers there. (Well accept those cat skiers up the weber drainage who tried running us of the backside of the superbowls!!!):lol: lol lol

Premium Features